Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Medlen becoming "the greatest Tommy John surgery success story." - Yahoo!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ace-in-...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3
    As great as they were the celebrated Strasburg blowing hitters away and Anderson pushing the A's to a playoff spot neither was the best in 2012. Another pitcher a most unlikely candidate may be the greatest Tommy John success story yet, the sort who can demystify a surgery evolving faster than anyone realizes.

Kris Medlen stands 5-foot-9 3/4, and we will round up to 5-10, even though when you're under 6-foot that extra quarter-inch means more than tall people care to recognize. He is a right-handed starting pitcher for the Atlanta Braves. This is important because 5-foot-10 right-handed starting pitchers exist only in dreams and parallel universes in which scouts do not chortle, scoff and expectorate a giant stream of tobacco juice in the direction of any right-handed pitcher with the temerity of standing 5-10.

Last season, Medlen joined the following list: Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, Bob Gibson, Ferdie Schupp, Dutch Leonard, Walter Johnson and Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown. They are the only starting pitchers in history to finish a season with at least 138 innings pitched and an adjusted ERA of over 250. That means his ERA, when factored for the stadiums' dimensions, was more than 2 times better than the league average. In the last 96 years, the list is Medlen, Pedro, Maddux and Gibson.
    Just an excerpt, it's by Jeff Passan. Good read about the rehab and early success, when you get time.

vCash
    Wouldn't say the greatest yet but he's on a damn good start. Lets all hope he has the strength and endurance to build off of that. Impressive nonetheless.

vCash
    That was a fun read.

I wonder if the surgery helps extend careers of older pitchers...

I think Hudson said something along the lines of his arm feeling better when he had it than years before.
    .................................................. ..................................

vCash
    Might have both extended Smoltz's career and get him get into the HOF because of his years as a dominant closer.

vCash
    I don't want to get too ahead of ourselves here. I don't think he is less injury prone than someone who never got hurt, so I don't want to overhype him. I don't want to jinx his health .

vCash
    I don't know about the "greatest" but it was an impressive season for him coming off TJS. Hopefully he can duplicate those stats this year though I'm not really counting on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC91 View Post
    I don't know about the "greatest" but it was an impressive season for him coming off TJS. Hopefully he can duplicate those stats this year though I'm not really counting on it.
    His numbers last year were all-time caliber, so of course nobody expects him to replicate those. The good thing is he can regress significantly and still be a very good pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar
    His numbers last year were all-time caliber, so of course nobody expects him to replicate those.
    I'll say it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

vCash
    Im excited for him and Minor this year, And im really glad we got rid of Hanson lol

vCash
    Seems to be a very secure individual. Not a lot of self aggrandizement. I expect even more as long as his his focus is on winning.
    Gonna miss the Magician
    Just another tricky day for you.

vCash
    Keep eating those peanut butter and honey sandwiches! Because I sure won't be

The Cult of Gattis