Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Magic, Stockton, Big O, Kidd, Nash........

BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

vCash
    Nash I would.say is also arguably the greatest shooter of all time. Tremendous talent given.that his athleticism was always non-existent. He relies on skill and intelligence as well as natural ability and is still.one of the.top.PGs in.the game at age 39. However, his all time ranking will always take into.consideration the fact he has always been a.defensive liability.

vCash
    Top 10...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Top 7

Magic
    Big O ( if he is considered a pg)
    Zeke
    Frasier
    Kidd
    Stockton
    Nash

I dont understand Stockton over Zeke on this board. Zeke was better. Just because he sucked as an executive and is not a nice guy really hurts him here it seems. Or you never saw them both play and are looking at stats. I am not trying to take away from Stockton I think he was awesome and could be 4-6 on my list. I just think Thomas gets overlooked here
    Agreed, I think hes a polarizing player, I think he gets overrated when people talk about him in the sense of beating Magic/Bird/MJ as if hes on their plane when winning, but I now feel people underrate him when they put Stockton on that pedestal. His longevity makes it an argument but make no mistake, Stockton was never at any point in his career the superior player.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    I was not a Zeke fan or a Stockton fan, I am a Sixer fan. I have no horse in this race. My favorite Sixer PG ever is Mo Cheeks (who was Stockton lite without the 3 point shot >>>>>>> AI (who some compare to Thomas). Simply being a basket ball fan during that era. It could be a east coast bias? I am sure I saw more of Thomas than of Stockton, but again always felt that Thomas was the better of the two.

This is really not a dis of Stockton it is the guy I think is 3rd vs the guy I think is 4-6th. I just feel like Zeke gets sold short around here for what he was to the NBA during his era.
    Understood. And there are a lot of people whose opinions I respect (more so than mine) that vehemently feel Zeke was the better player. So maybe I shouldn't be so strong in my convictions....but I am.

I'm even a guy who thinks the idea that "true" or "pass-first" PGs are so incredibly valuable...which is kinda what Stockton was. I just loved his game, thought he always was making the right decisions and was the absolute best floor general I had ever seen. He never made bad decisions...and in Zeke I saw a guy who occasionally teetered out of control and made a lot of bad decisions. Clearly Zeke was a "winner", though...so maybe this feeling of mine is off-base too.

I don't think I'll ever be able to rank Nash over Stockton.

vCash
    Top 5 PG all time, court vision is unmatched.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Agreed, I think hes a polarizing player, I think he gets overrated when people talk about him in the sense of beating Magic/Bird/MJ as if hes on their plane when winning, but I now feel people underrate him when they put Stockton on that pedestal. His longevity makes it an argument but make no mistake, Stockton was never at any point in his career the superior player.
    I am not saying Stockton is better because I did not watch either play in their primes, but all I hear from people who say Thomas is better is Thomas is the superior player!!!! While there has been an overwhelming amount of evidence presented as to why Stockton is better. Also, I feel like people overrate rings. Does MJ even win 3 rings without Pippen/Rodman/Phil and a great supporting cast. I feel like the only times players should be praised with for having rings is if they won when they shouldn't have, and should be put down if they lose when they are suppose to win. I bring this up, ofcourse, because Thomas has two rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by latinofire21 View Post
    Maybe if the Bulls can get healthy they can surpass the hawks but other than that I dont see them cracking the top 4 spots in the east based on Pure record. Obviously they will have a higher spot because they are in a weak division but record wise they wont crack the top 4 by seasons end.

vCash
    On topic, as I said in my other comment I haven't watched the greats so I cannot rank Nash. However, one thing I have noticed is that he isn't as bad of a defender as people make him seem out to be. Well, at least that is what is seems like in the few Laker's games I have watched. I did not pay much attention to Nash's defense on the Suns.
    Maybe if the Bulls can get healthy they can surpass the hawks but other than that I dont see them cracking the top 4 spots in the east based on Pure record. Obviously they will have a higher spot because they are in a weak division but record wise they wont crack the top 4 by seasons end.

vCash
    I feel he was stifled by the times, just like Stockton getting robbed by Jordan, Kobe and Shaq robbed Nash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnovakovic099 View Post
    I am not saying Stockton is better because I did not watch either play in their primes, but all I hear from people who say Thomas is better is Thomas is the superior player!!!! While there has been an overwhelming amount of evidence presented as to why Stockton is better. Also, I feel like people overrate rings. Does MJ even win 3 rings without Pippen/Rodman/Phil and a great supporting cast. I feel like the only times players should be praised with for having rings is if they won when they shouldn't have, and should be put down if they lose when they are suppose to win. I bring this up, ofcourse, because Thomas has two rings.
    No doubt, I just wonder about the media bias when it comes to Zeke vs Stockton. Zeke stopped making All-NBA teams after his racist comments, and when it comes to Stocktons assists, I just have to raise an eyebrow at some of the home/away splits. Sloan's system and favorable score keepers helped pad his assist numbers IMO (And plenty others)

Maybe the rings he has are clouding my judgement but I recall Zeke coming up big and raising his game in the playoffs by a substantial degree, I also feel his game would be better served to today's rules. I just dont know much about their playoff performances to have any sort of strong opinion here.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    No doubt, I just wonder about the media bias when it comes to Zeke vs Stockton. Zeke stopped making All-NBA teams after his racist comments, and when it comes to Stocktons assists, I just have to raise an eyebrow at some of the home/away splits. Sloan's system and favorable score keepers helped pad his assist numbers IMO (And plenty others)

Maybe the rings he has are clouding my judgement but I recall Zeke coming up big and raising his game in the playoffs by a substantial degree, I also feel his game would be better served to today's rules. I just dont know much about their playoff performances to have any sort of strong opinion here.
    WOW!!! Chronz... come on man... Stockton was straight up better than Thomas. Thomas stopped making All-NBA teams because his game fell. The racist comments? All he said was that if Bird was black, he wouldnt get the same amout of press that he got, and he was right. I dont think people thought that was racist.

As for Stockton's assist numbers, you have to give him credit for that. Every player has favourable score keepers.... why would stockton's numbers be the only ones impacted? Stockton was an amazing play maker. And a far better scorer than Thomas. Better percentages across the board, Thomas just got more points because he shot more. Stockton got more steals, fewer turnovers, more assists.... I mean, the only arguement people can make for Thomas is by IGNORING Stockton's numbers, and then saying that people didnt vote for Thomas on the All-NBA teams because of one comment? Come on. Its not like people stopped voting for Artest for the All-Defensive team because he went into the stnads and beat up fans.

I loved Thomas growing up. I'm from the Detroit area, but even I know that Thomas is not better than Stockton.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 12-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Is it me, or are volume scorers such as Thomas, Iverson, and Kobe massively overrated? I was thinking this because of the thread and because of how Kobe and Nash are playing together. I see Kobe dropping points on good shooting, but lets say Kobe drops off and shoots around 45/46 percent and 34 from the three, would it be more effective for him to take an isolation shot as opposed to Nash completely running the show and finding other player's open for three? One thing I will say is though, that isolation/high volume shooters are useful in the playoffs and in the clutch because defenses clamp down on shooters. I could name a thousand occasions where Stojakovic, one of my favorite players since I am Serbian, disappeared in the playoffs. Heck, they benched him for Hedo a lot of the time because he was a better isolation player/defender.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Stockton was never at any point in his career the superior player.

Did you see Thomas in 93/94? It was painful. Stockton was clearly the better player that season.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post

Did you see Thomas in 93/94? It was painful. Stockton was clearly the better player that season.
    I meant at no point was Stockton better than Prime Zeke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    WOW!!! Chronz... come on man... Stockton was straight up better than Thomas. Thomas stopped making All-NBA teams because his game fell.
    Every year? Even though his team made 3 straight Finals and were dominant regular season teams?

The racist comments? All he said was that if Bird was black, he wouldnt get the same amout of press that he got, and he was right. I dont think people thought that was racist.
    LOL he said alot more than that over the years, remember when he said it was better for black people to call women *****es? You really dont know what a scumbag/competitor Zeke was if you think thats all he said. And LOTS of people thought he was racist with that comment.

As for Stockton's assist numbers, you have to give him credit for that. Every player has favourable score keepers....
    Thats not true, I dont know of a single player that has the same home/away disparity.
    Last edited by Chronz; 12-29-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast