Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Stoudemire is questionable vs. Portland- and other updates posts 1-4

It amazes me how some just say Amare get back on the court and everything is going to be great?

Read Woody's comments, and i'm glad he mentioned about knowing the defensive sets and where you have to be.

Yes we are all excited but if he is going to be loss out there might as well miss the next two games and be all set for Saturday.

Woody may just get him in to get his feet wet also in spurts, and take it from there.

Stoudemire is questionable vs. Portland

December, 31, 2012

2:44PM ET

By Ian Begley | ESPNNewYork.com
    GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Amar'e Stoudemire has scrimmaged on consecutive days for the first time since his Oct. 31 left knee debridement, but there is no guarantee that he will suit up for the Knicks on New Year's Day.

After practice on Monday, the Knicks listed Stoudemire as questionable for Tuesday's game against Portland.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson said Stoudemire's status will depend on how his surgically-repaired left knee responds Tuesday. If he feels soreness in his knee, the coach said, "we'll have to back off."

The Knicks had hoped that Stoudemire would return for their Jan. 1 game against the Blazers.

But Stoudemire said on Sunday that his knee was less than 80 percent healthy. He reported feeling soreness and a lack of explosion. He did not speak to reporters on Monday.

Woodson said after Monday's practice that it was 'nice' to see Stoudemire get through consecutive scrimmages but noted that the power forward still needed to work on his conditioning.

"He's not there," Woodson said

The coach added that Stoudemire has to work on defensive positioning and grasping the team's terminology on defense. Woodson doesn't expect Stoudemire to play "big" minutes when he returns.

"It's still going to take a little while for him. That's expected," Woodson said. "You can't expect that when he does decide to play, that he's going to flow right in and everything's going to happen magically for him, because that's not always the case."

Carmelo Anthony, who is also questionable for Tuesday's game with a hyperextended left knee, worked on the floor with Stoudemire on Monday for the first time since mid-October.

"It felt good today seeing him back out there, running our offense, getting him back into the flow of things ... hes fitting right in," Anthony said. "Right now, its all about him getting his legs underneath of him. When hes ready to come back, our arms are open for him."

If Stoudemire does not play Tuesday, he will have an opportunity to practice with the Knicks on Wednesday, if the team chooses to do so. New York then will have to make a decision for Thursday's home game against San Antonio.

The Knicks' next game is Saturday night in Orlando, near Stoudemire's hometown.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    Woodson optimistic Knicks' Stoudemire could play tomorrow
    By MARC BERMAN
    Posted: 1:32 PM, December 31, 2012

There’s still no guarantee Amar’e Stoudemire will decide to ring in the New Year when the Knicks face the Blazers but things looked a little brighter Monday. Coach Mike Woodson spoke optimistically after the power forward got through Monday's practice without setbacks.

Woodson said Stoudemire will make the determination Tuesday and the Knicks coach said it will depend on the level of soreness in his left knee after back-to-back practices. Woodson also said Stoudemire would only play limited minutes because of his condition.

It would be Stoudemire's first time back on the court after his Nov. 1 knee debridement surgery. The original timetable had him out six to eight weeks.

Carmelo Anthony, who has missed the past two games with a hyperextended knee, returned to practice Monday but scrimmaged only lightly with the team. He said he will make a game-time decision. Anthony said he doesn’t have the lift yet but hasn’t ruled out playing if he improves in the next 24 hours.

Both Stoudemire and Anthony are listed as questionable. Stoudemire didn’t make himself available for reporters after practice. He said Sunday he was at "80 percent'' and still had pain on certain cuts.

“We’ll have a better feel tomorrow based on practice today,’’ Woodson said. “I thought (Stoudemire) moved around pretty good. We’ll assess him tomorrow. We’ll see how he feels. He’ll let us know. He got through everything today, which is kind of nice.’’

“It’s going to be up to him based on how he feels,’’ Woodson added. “That has a lot to do with it. If he says, 'hey, my knee is sore from yesterday’s work,' we got to back off.’’

Woodson said Stoudemire won’t be on the court long if he does play.

“We have to be cautious when we approach the game because he won’t be able to play big minutes early,’’ Woodson said. “That’s already been determined. We got to gradually get himself back. That will take a little time.’’

Woodson also said Stoudemire is still getting up to speed on the defensive sets. He was out on the court after practice with a few guys, going over some defensive alignments – a good sign he still has Tuesday squarely on the radar.

Read more: Amar’e Stoudemire may play if not sore tomorrow: Coach Mike Woodson http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicks...#ixzz2GfEauhTX

vCash
    Anthony questionable against Portland

December, 31, 2012
    Dec 31

3:32

PM ET

By Ian Begley | ESPNNewYork.com
    Recommend0
    Tweet0
    Comments0
    Email
    Print

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Carmelo Anthony is officially listed as questionable for Tuesday's game against Portland, but if his left knee doesn't improve markedly in the next 24 hours, he says he probably won't play.

Anthony has missed the Knicks' last two games due to a hyper-extended left knee.

He participated in part of the Knicks' practice on Monday, working on conditioning and shooting, and said afterward that he lacked power and lift in his knee.

"There’s no pain, just weakness in my leg," Anthony said. "I don’t feel like I have the full strength that I need right now."

Anthony, the Knicks' leading scorer, said he will test his knee on Tuesday and likely won't know his status until prior to tipoff.

He has missed six games due to injury this season. The Knicks (21-9) are 3-3 without Anthony.

Most recently, they'd beaten Phoenix on a jumper at the buzzer from J.R. Smith and then lost to Sacramento on a buzzer-beating 3-pointer.

Anthony has not undergone an MRI or x-ray on the injury, which occurred on Christmas Day when Marcus Camby fell into his knee.

Anthony finished the game against the Lakers but was forced to sit out after his knee swelled up on the plane ride to Phoenix.

"It still don’t feel right as far as my bounce and having my legs and the power I need," Anthony said after practice on Monday. "If I don’t have no lift or the power back in my legs (on Tuesday), I don’t think I’m going to try to (play). But I’ll see."

In other injury news, Rasheed Wallace did not practice for the second straight day and is questionable for the Portland game. He has missed the last eight games due to a stress reaction in his left foot.

Jason Kidd missed his second straight practice for what the team called a recovery day. Tyson Chandler also missed practice for the second straight day with a sprained right ankle.

Mike Woodson said he expects to have Chandler and Kidd in uniform on Tuesday. He called Wallace "day to day."

vCash
    Melo misses Knicks practice — and he’s not alone
    By FRED KERBER
    Last Updated: 12:18 PM, December 31, 2012
    Posted: 12:22 AM, December 31, 2012
    Knicks Blog
    Berman on Twitter

Carmelo Anthony, who missed the past two games with a hyperextended left knee, shot on his own yesterday and did not practice with the Knicks. His status for tomorrow’s game against the Trail Blazers at the Garden is day-to-day, pending a further determination to be made today.

“Carmelo was out shooting today,” coach Mike Woodson said. “Didn’t have any contact or any conditioning work up and down yet, so again he’s just day-to-day and we’ll take it a day at a time.”

* The Knicks’ practice wasn’t exactly overflowing. There were so many players ailing that the team used a coaches’ assistant to flush out the ranks to 10 men.

Anthony, Tyson Chandler (sprained right ankle), Raymond Felton (fractured right pinkie), Jason Kidd (recovery day) and Rasheed Wallace (acute stress reaction, left foot) all did not practice. Iman Shumpert (knee surgery recovery) went on a limited basis, working out with assistant coaches. Amar’e Stoudemire (knee surgery) practiced.

“I’m just anxious to get a full team just to see where we are as a ballclub,” Woodson said. “That’s the main goal right now: to get everybody healthy.”

Woodson said he expects Chandler and Kidd to play tomorrow. Wallace may return to practice today: “He’s still day-to-day rehabbing, and we’ll just have to again assess it [today],” Woodson said.

* At 39.3 percent, the Knicks still rank third in the league in 3-point shooting, behind the Heat (40.3) and Thunder (40.2). But in their past seven games, they are a combined 63-of-190 (33.2 percent) on 3-pointers. ... Chandler has averaged 12.0 rebounds in his past eight games, including 4.6 offensive boards. The Knicks overall are 28th in the NBA in rebounding.

* Over in Brooklyn, the “interim” status has been placed on Nets coach P.J. Carlesimo. Woodson knows that label from wearing it the final 24 games of last season. But it is an area of little concern these days.

“P.J.’s been around, he’s coached a number of years,” Woodson said. “He’ll be fine. The Brooklyn Nets are not my concern. My concerns are the Knicks, and that’s how it’s going to be as long as I’m coaching.”

* Regarding Shumpert, Woodson said, “He’s right on schedule. Today he did a bunch of the conditioning work for the first time with us, and that was nice to see. He had a lot of pop in his step, but he couldn’t do any contact yet. So that’s the next step as we move up the road for him.”

fred.kerber@nypost.com

vCash

Stoudemire is questionable vs. Portland- and other updates posts 1-4

Haha who practiced then? Man we are gettin hit wit the injury bug pretty bad now. It's better to have this early on in the season tho

vCash
    Sounds good. I'd sit melo until Thursday.

vCash
    Im not sure Amare is going to be lost, its not like he's Copeland and he's wet behind the ears.

STAT rotations might not be crisp but think he has enough experience defensively to gives us a few minutes and not embarrass himself.

Would think STAT's defensive instincts, even if limited, would take over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOULDA COULDA View Post
    Im not sure Amare is going to be lost, its not like he's Copeland and he's wet behind the ears.

STAT rotations might not be crisp but think he has enough experience defensively to gives us a few minutes and not embarrass himself.

Would think STAT's defensive instincts, even if limited, would take over.
    LOL LOL LOL LOL

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Backstabber View Post
    LOL LOL LOL LOL
    yah i laughed out loud as well

but I kinda agree STAT is probably still better on D than Cope and has better instincts

and thats grasping at straws but i think stat would still hurt us less on D than cope by a very small margin

vCash
    Stats shot blocking ability makes him a better defender than Cope alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta View Post
    Stats shot blocking ability makes him a better defender than Cope alone.
    But Cope might be a better rebounder.

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    How well do some expect Stat to move defensively after a knee injury in the beginning? He is a liability when health defensively and you expect him to be ok out there in the start?

The coach added that Stoudemire has to work on defensive positioning and grasping the team's terminology on defense.
    This is after seeing him in practice. Now I would rethink the whole he would be better then Cope at this point defensively.
    Props To KnicksR4Real For The Sig

Props To KniCks4LiFe

vCash
    No reason to rush anyone back right now we can afford some losses plus our division looks super weak and it's not like amare coming back would make up for the lose of felton, melo and sheed.

vCash
    I love defense- I grew up on the 90s knicks, but real question- do we really need amare to play a lot of defense if he is the 6th man. Think of the 6th men that have killed it in recent years: craw, harden, gordon. Usually a 6th man is a guy that can light it up off the bench and score 18-20 against the other teams second tier players. I think Amare can totally do that. So it really comes down to what is roll is

vCash
    ok...ok..ok... so let me get this straight..... hes worried about amare not knowing the defensive sets and were he needs to be on certain plays???? so my next question is.... nba teams don't do film and game study??? all this time hes been off the court he couldn't just learn this by reading and watching the games and film????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast