Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    But what about it is insulting? I don't believe there's been an actual explanation as to why someone believes it mocks or insults the Native Americans. I'm curious as to how it does.
    If I went up to native and started doing a hiya hiya chant, you don't see anything wrong with that? That song they do in Atlanta is awful. Its not embracing a culture, its mocking it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    Native Anericans protest because we kicked them off their land and have them living on reservations where they get drunk and take a dump everywhere and are still pissed about it. If you don't believe me go drive by one, they are extremely vile and rude people from what I have witnessed and the ones I have been around.

The braves hat is just awful, I like the A with the tomahawk in it.
    How this post is still up is beyond me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    Native Anericans protest because we kicked them off their land and have them living on reservations where they get drunk and take a dump everywhere and are still pissed about it. If you don't believe me go drive by one, they are extremely vile and rude people from what I have witnessed and the ones I have been around.

The braves hat is just awful, I like the A with the tomahawk in it.
    how has this post not been deleted? i can't believe this is ok but Brain Stowe jokes aren't. This is the equivalent of saying,

"all black people are lazy criminals, just drive through a ghetto everyone is doing drugs or breaking the law."

that is in effect what you said.
    Whaaaaa
    Last edited by Greedy22; 01-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    You did read my first paragraph, no?

I don't have an issue with using a native as a mascot, just do it tastefully. I don't think that image is tasteful that's all. Its my honest opinion.
    Apparantly you missed my point that the logo is a respectable icon of a warrior, and approriate to be used as a mascot.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    what is offensive about it is that it has a screaming indian, it's playing off a stereotype,
    What stereotype? It is an image of an Indian brave yelling a war cry. If they used an image of an Indian weaving a basket would that be a stereotype? How about an image of one making a fire to cook a deer he hunted.

Here's the thing, stereotypes are common beliefs held about an entire population that are generalizations, but that does not make a stereotype, racist. To be "racist" the belief would need to perpetuate the notion that a race is inferior. Baseball is a competitive sport, there is nothing racist about an image of an Indian yelling a war cry.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-02-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    What stereotype? It is an image of an Indian brave yelling a war cry. If they used an image of an Indian weaving a basket would that be a stereotype? How about an image of one making a fire to cook a deer he hunted.

Here's the thing, stereotypes are common beliefs held about an entire population that are generalizations, but that does not make a stereotype, racist. To be "racist" the belief would need to perpetuate the notion that a race is inferior. Baseball is a competitive sport, there is nothing racist about an image of an Indian yelling a war cry.
    there doesn't need to be a feeling of superiority or inferiority, if a person really believes that all Asians are bad drivers, or that all southerners are inbred or all Mexicans are here illegally if a person believes those things then they are holding a racist belief, they don't need to think that they are superior to others because of race.

vCash

Well said.

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    there doesn't need to be a feeling of superiority or inferiority, if a person really believes that all Asians are bad drivers, or that all southerners are inbred or all Mexicans are here illegally if a person believes those things then they are holding a racist belief, they don't need to think that they are superior to others because of race.
    You just contradicted yourself. And the point you are trying to make is not well constructed or logical. I explained the reasoning clearly.

vCash
    The Boston one looks nice.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 46-52, games this week vs. Blue Jays (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    You just contradicted yourself. And the point you are trying to make is not well constructed or logical. I explained the reasoning clearly.
    in what way did i contradict myself? i said that you don't have to have a feeling of superiority to hold a racist belief or play on stereotypes which is what's happened here.

vCash
    A's, O's, and Mets have the best ones IMO.

vCash
    Not a huge fan.

vCash
    Atl having 2nd thoughts on the logo

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...g-practice-hat
    Sens Raps Jays

vCash
    Originally Posted by misterd

As for the Braves cap, I get why Indian and Redskin are offensive. But Brave? How is that different from Vikings, Trojans, Spartans, Knights, Cavaliers etc?
    I think it's because they don't exist anymore, who was the last person of trojan descent that you met? The Vikings got their name because Minnesota is full of people who are of Swedish, Danish, Norwegian decent, and once again, there are no vikings in the world.
    Vikings, Trojans, Spartans, Knights, Cavaliers etc may no longer exist (or at least not as imagined in popular culture - there are technically knights still in England), but then I don't know a whole lot of Braves out there either. Yes, the culture and people that spawned them still exists, just as there are still Norwegians, Turks, Greeks, English and French.

There are all sorts of things surrounding this that I see offending people, but I still don't get what the "negative stereotype" is in the image and name of indigenous warriors who, I'm fairly certain, would let out a war cry when it was time to whoop ***. I don't even think it can be fairly argued that the image itself is historically untrue (unlike a horned viking).

vCash
    in what way did i contradict myself? i said that you don't have to have a feeling of superiority to hold a racist belief or play on stereotypes which is what's happened here.
    You wrote:

...if a person really believes that all Asians are bad drivers, or that all southerners are inbred or all Mexicans are here illegally if a person believes those things then they are holding a racist belief, they don't need to think that they are superior to others because of race.
    Racism is the belief that others are inferior in some capacity by virtue of the race. A belief is racist when the individual believes others are inferior to him/her and therefore he/she is superior by virtue of race. Can we agree on this?

As for the Braves logo. A brave is an Indian warrior. Guess what? Indian tribes were often at war with other tribes well before the Americas were invaded by Europeans. Most civilizations have had some form of a military, and baseball is a competitive sport. The logo represents a "fighting spirit". No more, no less. The name "Braves" is a noun, but also describes an admirable quality -- to be brave. What exactly is the negative connotation associated with the logo to which you object?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast