Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    The Braves one couldn't be more racist

I really don't like Miami's unis, this doesn't change that.

I like pretty much all the other ones
    In what manner is the Braves logo derogatory? It is of a male American Indian shouting, or laughing maybe. I guess we should remove George Washington from the dollar bill because it is racist to use a caucasian to identify a dollar bill.

Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior -- wiki
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Blue Jays messed up there. I'm a baseball fan, if I want a Jay's hat, I want the team logo, not the Canadian maple leaf.

Tigers look awful

I like the A's

vCash
    A's, Brewers, Orioles, Jays and Mets are awesome.

And I love the quote "it's an A because its the one Willie Mays wears"

vCash
    I actually found the Canadian Maple Leaf to be pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
    How is the Braves one racist?
    I've never had an issue with a team using native Indians as mascots when its done with reverence. These were a powerful people and the fact that a team would like to use them as a rallying point is fine by me.

But is completely distasteful to slap on the front of a cap doing some sort of circus jump and with a foolish look on his face.

So yes its racist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    I've never had an issue with a team using native Indians as mascots when its done with reverence. These were a powerful people and the fact that a team would like to use them as a rallying point is fine by me.

But is completely distasteful to slap on the front of a cap doing some sort of circus jump and with a foolish look on his face.

So yes its racist.
    It's a war cry.
    Baseball is a competitive sport.
    It does not degrade American Indians.

Do you realize that the Seminole Indian tribe in Florida endorses the use of its name and imagery with Florida State?
    Florida State, for example, has worked out an arrangement with the Seminole Tribe of Florida, so the school's use of Seminole imagery is fully sanctioned. Same thing goes for the Utah Utes. And at Eastern Michigan, the marching band just brought back the school's Huron mascot, which had been retired back in 1991. According to that article, the mascot's revival had the support of Wyandotte Nation (formerly the Hurons).
    However, it is a sensitive topic, and some native Americans and others would disagree. The Indians' mascot is a little goofy to me and I would not use it at all. I think the Braves logo is a respectable image of an Indian warrior.

Good article on Native American iconography.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...erican-imagery
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-29-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash

So yes its racist.
    Is the Notre Dame logo racist too?

But what exactly about it is racist? What negative connotation does it portray?
    Last edited by SFrush90; 12-29-2012 at 03:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    In what manner is the Braves logo derogatory? It is of a male American Indian shouting, or laughing maybe. I guess we should remove George Washington from the dollar bill because it is racist to use a caucasian to identify a dollar bill.
    They did outline the American Indian in red, so that's pretty bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    This came to my mind. Pretty stereotypical calling the Irish "fighting", yet no one ever touches on this subject.

I for one don't give a ****, and being from Wisconsin, I have a lot of native friends that also really don't give a **** either.

This world is going to PC Hell

vCash
    Notre Dame is a Catholic university; they're celebrating themselves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Notre Dame is a Catholic university; they're celebrating themselves.
    But what about it portray's Indians in a negative way that makes it racist? That's what I don't understand. I could understand if they used that logo and the team name was "Savages". Why can't the Braves organization celebrate the people who first settle this land?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucky Woods View Post
    This came to my mind. Pretty stereotypical calling the Irish "fighting", yet no one ever touches on this subject.

I for one don't give a ****, and being from Wisconsin, I have a lot of native friends that also really don't give a **** either.

This world is going to PC Hell
    notre dame is an irish catholic school.so its their call how they want themselves portrayed.now if the braves where owned by native americans then it'd be a different story...but it's not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    notre dame is an irish catholic school.so its their call how they want themselves portrayed.now if the braves where owned by native americans then it'd be a different story...but it's not
    But what about it is racist? Like I said in my above post, it's not like they used that logo and call themselves the Atlanta Savages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    It's a war cry.
    Baseball is a competitive sport.
    It does not degrade American Indians.

Do you realize that the Seminole Indian tribe in Florida endorses the use of its name and imagery with Florida State?

However, it is a sensitive topic, and some native Americans and others would disagree. The Indians' mascot is a little goofy to me and I would not use it at all. I think the Braves logo is a respectable image of an Indian warrior.

Good article on Native American iconography.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...erican-imagery
    You did read my first paragraph, no?

I don't have an issue with using a native as a mascot, just do it tastefully. I don't think that image is tasteful that's all. Its my honest opinion.

vCash
    But what about it portray's Indians in a negative way that makes it racist? That's what I don't understand. I could understand if they used that logo and the team name was "Savages". Why can't the Braves organization celebrate the people who first settle this land?
    it doesn't have to be negative to be offensive, it's a caricature of a stereotype, it's like an Asian kid being surrounded by books he is studying.
    You did read my first paragraph, no?

I don't have an issue with using a native as a mascot, just do it tastefully. I don't think that image is tasteful that's all. Its my honest opinion.
    I think San Diego state and Florida State do very good jobs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast