Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Which free agents should get a look?

Just curious to see who some of you think would help the team. Probly wont win the last game but at least not set another loss. Lets be Honest Crane probly wont spend more $3 million on a player but players are still out there like Scott Hairston who only made $1 million last year who would help the outfield. Not talking about a complete rebuild but 1 maybe two who would be a fit.

vCash
    Ben Sheets, low risk high reward.

vCash
    Sheets is retired. Try Again.

vCash
    No Free Agents are good Free Agents. If you can name me one player that is available that will help the Astros win just one game, I will entertain the thought of responding. Why spend even $1 million on a guy who is just going to take time away from someone we have for $250,000 with more upside than the guy we paid $1 million to?

vCash
    Anybody who can drive in runs. Look back at how games they lost by 1 run. Im probly gonna get some crap for this but who gives a crap, I think Pena will have a big impact. Last year was a bad year but hes never hit for average and his 19 hrs would have led the team. entertain me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eTEXball86 View Post
    Anybody who can drive in runs. Look back at how games they lost by 1 run. Im probly gonna get some crap for this but who gives a crap, I think Pena will have a big impact. Last year was a bad year but hes never hit for average and his 19 hrs would have led the team. entertain me.
    You lost a lot of one run games because your bullpen was horrible and they either didn't keep you in the game late, or they didn't hold the lead.

Lopez was basically the only bright spot and now he is gone (Wright was good too)

Fortunately you have a competent GM.

It's gonna be awhile before the Astros are relevant, which is sad.

The Astros had the 3rd worst rotation in baseball (WPA), the 3rd worst bullpen in baseball (WPA) and the 2nd worst lineup in baseball (wOBA and wRC+) and the second worst defense in baseball (DRS).

The Astros don't need to be wasting money on any free agents unless they could somehow be long term assets. The only guys you should be signing are guys that can be brought in for cheap one year deals or guys looking to remerge their careers somewhere (like Pena, maybe Sizemore).

The focus has to be on the farm, this team will be lucky to win 70 games next year, I wouldn't waste any money on free agents unless they will be around for the long term for cheap.

vCash
    I really don't think Pena will do ****. He always had a a lot of protection in Tampa Bay with that stacked offense. I think he's gonna hit about .200, 20 HR's, and a .295 OBP which is awful. It's really hard to guess potential signings when our owner has a budget of $500,000 a player.

vCash
    Should be interesting to see. You may be right about avg. and HRs, but I think his OBP will be over .300. He walks to much to have an OBP under 3. Heres to hoping he has a monster year.

vCash

Free Agents

Just for old time sake how about Luke Scott?

I'm disappointed the Astros didn't take a run at Berkman. Management is giving the fans a whole lot of nothing, ripping them off by not fielding a major league team, so you would think the least they could do is bring back a fan favorite.

Anyway hear what Oswalt is planning to do? Will he stay retired or become one of those guys who comes back every year in the middle of the summer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudski View Post
    Just for old time sake how about Luke Scott?

I'm disappointed the Astros didn't take a run at Berkman. Management is giving the fans a whole lot of nothing, ripping them off by not fielding a major league team, so you would think the least they could do is bring back a fan favorite.

Anyway hear what Oswalt is planning to do? Will he stay retired or become one of those guys who comes back every year in the middle of the summer?
    The Astros did make a run at Berkman. He met with the owner and there are multiple reports saying the Astros wanted him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    The Astros did make a run at Berkman. He met with the owner and there are multiple reports saying the Astros wanted him.
    Berkman said they wouldn't pay him enough, he said a number 3 hitter on a losing team deserves around $8 million. He pretty much said that he'd be giving up his chances on winning another ring by signing with us. Which I completely understand. Pay the man the extra cash to bring him home, even at this point he'd be a good DH. Let Pena and Wallace platoon at first and give Wallace some time at 3rd as well.

1. Jose Altuve
    2. Jed Lowrie
    3. Lance Berkman/Carlos Pena
    4. Carlos Pena/Brett Wallace
    5. Justin Maxwell
    6. Jason Castro
    7. Brett Wallace/Matt Dominguez
    8. JD Martinez
    9. Fernando Martinez

Isn't too bad of a line up. Berkman would bring depth to the batting order. When I made this line up I realized how slow we are... SMH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplay2007 View Post
    Berkman said they wouldn't pay him enough, he said a number 3 hitter on a losing team deserves around $8 million. He pretty much said that he'd be giving up his chances on winning another ring by signing with us. Which I completely understand. Pay the man the extra cash to bring him home, even at this point he'd be a good DH. Let Pena and Wallace platoon at first and give Wallace some time at 3rd as well.

1. Jose Altuve
    2. Jed Lowrie
    5. Justin Maxwell
    6. Jason Castro
    8. JD Martinez
    9. Fernando Martinez

Isn't too bad of a line up. Berkman would bring depth to the batting order. When I made this line up I realized how slow we are... SMH.
    The problem with Berkman is that he isn't much vs lefties anymore, his greatest strength is mashing righties, so in a platoon role, he has the same role as Pena.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplay2007 View Post

1. Jose Altuve
    2. Jed Lowrie
    5. Justin Maxwell
    6. Jason Castro
    8. JD Martinez
    9. Fernando Martinez

If you can find me somewhere that Berkman specifically said the Astros wouldn't offer him enough money I'd like to see it. The only things I've read were fairly general terms, talking about the right circumstance and wanting to get payed like a number 3 hitter should. Also, the Astros today said they've still been in contact with him recently. IF they don't sign him, it's not for lack of trying. I don't think signing him helps or hurts the team much short or long term, but it'd be neat to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Here's the biggest reason why we didn't sign Berkman for everyone upset. We already traded him once, so what happens if he heals up and hits 25 HRs prior to the trade deadline and the Astros still aren't in contention for anything. Could we be the team that trades a guy for a second time? At some point he will have his number next to Biggio's and Bagwell's.

With that being said, Pena is a great signing for just those same reasons, if he has a great year we can dump him for prospects. Those are the type of guys we need to be targeting for free agents if we were to sign any others. Those who we can sign for cheap and hope they have bounce back years, because at this point if they aren't signed, then nobody wants them anyways.

vCash
    pena will probably hit around .200, 20 HRs and close to .330 OBP (if not higher)
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast