Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

CDR discusses his time with Kobe and The Lakers

Chris Douglas-Roberts, now with the Mavs, called Lakers training camp his "internship under Bean" ...

CDR recently penned an excellent Tumblr post describing his tough climb back to the NBA.

Here is his section on his time with the Lakers:

"Then out of no where, the Lakers called. They wanted me to come in and earn a spot. Once I got that call, it was made up in my mind that I’d be a Laker. I knew I was going to go in there and showcase my talent. Which I did. The very first day I was 1 on 1 partners with Kobe. And we were going at it. **** talking…elbows were thrown. To my surprise, after that first practice Kobe went to media and spoke

highly of me. Everyday I played well and practiced well. Kobe continued to mentor me along the way. The Laker fans embraced me. I just knew I was in.

"Then I got a call from Leon (my agent) saying they were going to let me go. They told me I played great. The numbers on the business side just wouldn’t work. It was one of the worst phone calls I’ve ever gotten, but I was at peace because I knew I played my *** off. I brought it every day. My motto is “control what you can control” and I did that. That didn’t matter though. Once it got released that the Lakers let me go, the people thought it was due to my game. People had jokes. People wrote me off. It was embarrassing. However, I took positives away from my month with the Lakers too.

"I developed a relationship with Kobe Bryant. He showed me how to be a pro. He showed me real work ethic. Playing against him everyday made me so much of a better player. He understood me. He understood that its a difference in having a bad attitude and being competitive and wanting to win every drill/game. One night after a game and we were in the showers and he told me 'you have no other choice. You were put here to be basketball player. You have to fight until you’re one of them boys. You’re too talented. I played behind mfers that I was better than up until my third year but I KNEW I would be who I am today then. I work too hard not to break through.'

"That stuck with me. So I appreciate the opportunity the Lakers gave me. I looked at that month with the Lakers as an internship under Bean. I gained knowledge that I couldn’t have gotten any other way. That’s what I took from that situation. It’s all about how you respond when times are rough."

The whole piece is worth a read:

http://humble-flashy.tumblr.com/post...-i-believe-the
    ...A Dynasty A Cometh... 1225

vCash
    Wish it were him over Ebanks

vCash
    Id love CDR on this team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    Wish it were him over Ebanks
    Laker front office made a mistake on this guy...He wouldve helped our perimeter defense and transition game...
    ...A Dynasty A Cometh... 1225

vCash
    Kobe going in on Eddie Jones...

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have
    Should of = makes no sense at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    Kobe going in on Eddie Jones...
    Haha totally. I laughed at that part.

vCash
    I played behind mfers that I was better than up until my third year
    llullz-mao
    <3

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA

vCash
    he should have been on the squad over ebanks. CDR can ball, many laker fans were disappointed the day he was cut. he has the winning mentality, he's gona be a fine pro.

vCash
    Him and Gerald green I hate we let go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Showtime Steve View Post
    Him and Gerald green I hate we let go.
    Lakers wouldn't have developed them correctly.

vCash
    Yeah, I thought that was a bad roster move....The Lakers should have found a way to keep him around. As a matter of fact had D'Antoni been the coach at the beginning of the season CDR may have had a roster spot. Because the makeup of the bench may have been different.
    Last edited by midwestlaker75; 12-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.

vCash
    Wow very nice read. So true in many aspects of life.

vCash
    he'll fit better than ebanks in our current offense.

PLAN B

SIM LEAGUE NETS

vCash
    "One night after a game and we were in the showers and he told me 'you have no other choice. You were put here to be basketball player. You have to fight until you’re one of them boys. You’re too talented."

At least he didn't drop his soap.

vCash
    i wish we would have kept him over ebanks and clark. they bring NOTHING to the team

PWEEEG The Gawwd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast