Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Who will be the next coach to get canned?

Well, I think Avery Johnson made history by getting canned. He is (as far as I know, and I may be wrong about this), the first coach to win "Coach of the month" one month, and then end up getting fired before the following month is up. Sam Mitchell of course managed to get Coach of the Year and then get fired the following season, but that is a little different.

So... the question now is: Who will be the next coach to get fired? The Clippers are on a 15-game winning streak, which will surely get VDN the "Coach of the month" honours, but that said, they were on a 4-game losing streak before that streak started that had fans calling for his job. Perhaps a little premature. VDN and the Clippers are doing well now, but VDN's job was certainly one of the ones that many thought might not last out the season. But it would be hard o fire a guy who has coached you to the best record in the NBA.

Then the is the other LA team: 'Antoni has managed to win a few games, but the team is still below .500 and the Lakers have high expectations. How long will they tolerate hovering at .500?

Lawrence Frank seems to be reluctant to give Andre Drummond the minutes he shoudl be getting, and the Pistons are near the bottom of the division, but I since expectations weren't very high going into the season, I don't expect that Frank will be fired before the end of the season.

The Kings have some real talent on their roster, and while Keith Smart seems like a great guy, he isn't getting as much milage out of the talent he has, but like Detroit, there weren't high expectations coming into the season, so he may be safe until the offseason.

And of course there are the Wizards, owners of an 8-game losing steak and the worst record in the league, though Wall has been injured all season. That said, I think it was fair to expect some improvement in this roster and not such a drastic regression.

Who do you think will be next to lose their job?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    Keith Smart. Not a ton was expected from the Kings, but this was supposed to be a year where their center became a star. Instead, Demarcus seems pissed off and is regressing. Thomas Robinson hasn't looked too good, Evans isn't doing great. But Demarcus to me is the biggest issue. He doesn't have to appease to his every move, but their system is different from what they practiced before.

I say Smart is gone by mid January.
    Then Washnington's coach.

Then possibly Philly if they keep falling off. Probably not though, since they have a gap in no Bynum.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    Keith Smart. Not a ton was expected from the Kings, but this was supposed to be a year where their center became a star. Instead, Demarcus seems pissed off and is regressing. Thomas Robinson hasn't looked too good, Evans isn't doing great. But Demarcus to me is the biggest issue. He doesn't have to appease to his every move, but their system is different from what they practiced before.

I say Smart is gone by mid January.
    Then Washnington's coach.

Then possibly Philly if they keep falling off. Probably not though, since they have a gap in no Bynum.
    Falling off? when did this happen?

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    Falling off? when did this happen?
    They are 3-7 as well in their past 10 games lol

This is me reaching.

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    They are 3-7 as well in their past 10 games lol

This is me reaching.
    Jrue holiday was hurt for 4 of them.

2012 allstar

vCash
    As a Pistons fan I pray it Lawrence Frank

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    As a Pistons fan I pray it Lawrence Frank
    As a Pistons fan that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kingwood313 View Post
    Calvin Johnson is the worse decoy to ever put on football pads they should have drafted a big play reciever years ago. Golden Tate is a good side piece but I wouldnt have him as my full time number 1 WR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    As a Pistons fan that's not going to happen.
    As a Knicks fan I'll say that totally won't happen.

I got to say the clock is ticking on....Randy Whittman.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    the only way I can see VDN getting fired is to make room for phil. And on that win streak of theirs, I just don't see it happening.

vCash
    D'Antoni. Lakers are shitcanning 2 coaches before the ASB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    D'Antoni. Lakers are [canning] 2 coaches before the ASB.
    Seriously, I think it will be D'Antoni if the Lakers are still hovering at or below .500 at that point of the season.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    Randy Whittman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Randy Whittman.
    how on earth does this guy continue to get head coaching gigs?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    how on earth does this guy continue to get head coaching gigs?
    I imagine he doesn't charge as much ;-) lol That is a selling point.

There are some teams who just aren't going to be winning any time soon. When you get them, there isn't much point in investing in an expensive coach. Firstly, it will be hard to get them to sign, because the team is $#!T, and secondly, you will be paying a lot for a lottery team that wins more games than you really want it to, since it's only going to hurt your draft position and make the rebuilding process more difficult.

Enter guys like Wittman, or rookie coaches. They won't charge as much as a good coach, and they will take what ever job they can get because they have no experience or no results to show. That is why Sac-town likely brought in Smart. Why the Hornets got Monty Williams. Why Charlotte has Mike Dunlap. Why toronto has Dwayne Casey. Why Orlando has Jaques Vaughn. And when the team is good, it's easy to fire them, because they have a $#!T record so you are justified, and they aren't making much. And rookie coaches will always be willing to take these jobs with the hopes they can overachieve and earn a rep to get a big pay day and a better gig (see Doc Rivers in Orlando and likely Mark Jackson in Goldenstate).

And then you get other teams like Detroit and Phoenix who don't expect much and get a head coach with a spotty track record like Franky and Gentry.

The thing is, when these coaches do bad, there isn't much point in firing them mid-season because these teams aren't in the playoff hunt, and likely don't want to be, so waiting until the offseason makes more sense. You get better draft positioning and you team is more attactive to prospective coaches.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fresno View Post
    randy whittman.
    +1
    PSN: Celtics1080 | Twitter: @BostonRoundball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast