Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Marlins Will Listen On Giancarlo Stanton

By Zach Links [December 30]
    MLBTR

In the wake of the Marlins' blockbuster deal with the Blue Jays, the Marlins publicly stated that they wouldn't trade Giancarlo Stanton. Assistant General Manager Dan Jennings says that the club isn't shopping the right fielder, but they will listen to all offers for him, according to Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (on Twitter).

Teams have been inquiring on Stanton ever since the Marlins shipped Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Josh Johnson to Toronto in November. Stanton was vocal about his displeasure with the Marlins' front office after the trade and agent Joel Wolfe declined comment earlier this month when asked if his client had requested a trade.

Jennings also told Bowden (Twitter link) that Miami isn't going to surprise anyone and pursue any of the top free agents left on the open market. As the MLBTR Transaction Tracker shows, the Marlins have only signed two free agents so far this winter: Placido Polanco and Juan Pierre.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    well they are always "listening" on their players lol....I still think Profar would need to be included if they are too dense to see the even greater benefit of taking Andrus over profar, but again, if we do trade Profar then Andrus MUST be extended.

vCash
    I will go on record and state that Stanton will be better than Trout next year. Trout put up 3 absolutely incredible months. However, he fell back to earth in August & September. Trout hit 10 HR's in his 2010 while in the minors (131 games, 500+AB's). In 2011, he hit 11HR's while in the minors (91 games, 353AB's). Then he gets called up to the majors and hits 30 HR's in not even a full season. I am going to say that Trout is a very good player, but let's not judge him off of 3 amazing months.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    I will go on record and state that Stanton will be better than Trout next year. Trout put up 3 absolutely incredible months. However, he fell back to earth in August & September. Trout hit 10 HR's in his 2010 while in the minors (131 games, 500+AB's). In 2011, he hit 11HR's while in the minors (91 games, 353AB's). Then he gets called up to the majors and hits 30 HR's in not even a full season. I am going to say that Trout is a very good player, but let's not judge him off of 3 amazing months.
    I am going to respectfully disagree with this statement....while Stanton clearly has more power and I think Trout will come back down to earth in the power department as well, Trout is a clear 5 tool player and he brings speed and defense that Stanton just cant even come close to matching. Stanton does have an above average glove and his power numbers will most certainly be better, but as an all around player and athlete, Trout will still have more value next year.

vCash
    How do you know Trout is going to come back down to earth? He was 18 and 19 in the minors and is now a 21 year old man and only getting stronger.

vCash
    Trouts a legit 30/30 guy with elite defense. Stanton is an 80 power guy, but he is not as good of a contact hitter nor does he have the speed. You might see sexier slugger numbers from Stanton, but Trout will be more valuable to his team in most advanced metrics.

vCash
    Let's just say I have grown very leery of players who HR totals jump big time from one season to a next. When a player hits more homeruns in a partial season than he does in 3 years of the minors, it doesn't seem logical to me. Is MLB pitching that much worse than what Trout saw in the minors? Then he starts a major drop off in both BA and HRs at almost the exact same time that Melky gets busted. Probably a huge coincidence, but once again I have very little trust in MLB players when their power numbers drastically improve.

I will agree that Trout has tremendous speed and plays crazy insane D. He is a little reckless, but that makes him special when in the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    Let's just say I have grown very leery of players who HR totals jump big time from one season to a next. When a player hits more homeruns in a partial season than he does in 3 years of the minors, it doesn't seem logical to me. Is MLB pitching that much worse than what Trout saw in the minors? Then he starts a major drop off in both BA and HRs at almost the exact same time that Melky gets busted. Probably a huge coincidence, but once again I have very little trust in MLB players when their power numbers drastically improve.

I will agree that Trout has tremendous speed and plays crazy insane D. He is a little reckless, but that makes him special when in the field.
    I totally understand your skepticism Mr. Cursed however what are you suggesting? Perhaps Androgel testosterone replacement at this tender age?

vCash
    He's not going anywhere.

· But don’t expect Giancarlo Stanton to be among them.

· The Stanton flames were fanned a bit yesterday morning when Marlins Assistant GM Dan Jennings joined MLB Network Radio for a live interview. Jennings essentially said nothing newsworthy, but by acknowledging in so many words that Stanton isn’t unavailable (like almost every player in baseball), lots of corners of the Web got busy.

“We’ve never not listened to a deal on any player,” Jennings said contortedly of his 10 years with the Marlins. “Sometimes I chuckle when I hear people say, ‘This guy’s untouchable,’ and ‘That guy’s untouchable.’ You know what? They may be untouchable until someone either overwhelms you or you get a package back that makes such a significant improvement on your club going forward. So we’ve always been willing to listen. . . . What we’re not going to do is move a player for less than what we value their ability.”

As for Stanton in particular, Jennings said, “While we’re not shopping him, certainly not looking to move him, yeah, if someone knocked on our door
    and said, ‘Hey, would you guys consider this and this and this,’ you have to listen.”
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    I totally understand your skepticism Mr. Cursed however what are you suggesting? Perhaps Androgel testosterone replacement at this tender age?
    All I know is based off of observations. I mentioned that Trout's HR total last year exceeded the number of HR's he hit in 3 years of the minors. As mentioned, that makes very little sense to me.

I am not an expert in PED's, but I have read a ton of articles on PED's and baseball. One quote from Victor Conte was from August of this year:

…”What these guys are doing is using fast-acting testosterone, creams, gels, patches and micro-dose injections,” Conte says. “They put this stuff on after a game, let it circulate in their blood stream, and eight hours later, it’s out of their system when they take a drug test. It’s so simple.

I can't find another quote I am looking for. However, Conte essentially said one of the easiest ways to tell if a player is using PED's is if they have bulging veins in their neck. Once again, based off of observation, Trout's neck has those very obvious veins.

Is Trout taking anything? That would be impossible for me to know. I just have noticed several things that seem interesting to me. Over the past decade +, whenever a sport accomplishment seems too good to be true, usually a few years later we find out that we were mislead by how the achievement really happened.

vCash
    Last edited by zookman65; 01-03-2013 at 07:07 AM.

vCash

I hope so.

I would definitely give up whatever the Marlins may need from our farm system for Stanton! He is a young stud and someone that the Rangers could build around in the coming years.

vCash
    Asking price would be Profar,Olt,Perez plus...

and I would do it.

Can you imagine the numbers Stanton would put up in Arlington?

We are talking about a middle of the order Monster (50 plus homers, OPS over 1.000, MVP type player) think Miguel Cabrera that we have control of for the next 4 years atleast.

I love Profar as much as anyone and would love to keep him, but if you can get Stanton for him, you make that trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers72 View Post
    Asking price would be Profar,Olt,Perez plus...

and I would do it.

Can you imagine the numbers Stanton would put up in Arlington?

We are talking about a middle of the order Monster (50 plus homers, OPS over 1.000, MVP type player) think Miguel Cabrera that we have control of for the next 4 years atleast.

I love Profar as much as anyone and would love to keep him, but if you can get Stanton for him, you make that trade.
    He's not Miggy. Stanton is a power guy. Miggy is special because he hits for average and power. Stanton had an above average year for batting average last year (.290 and so far that looks like the exception, not the rule), but in comparison, by his third year, Miggy was a .323 hitter and he's only been below that mark twice over the last 8 years (.320 and .294), with a career .313 BA. Miggy also never misses games. His career low for a full major league season was 150 (once), next lowest was 157. Stanton has already had two years where he's missed 30+ games.

On top of that, Stanton strikes out way too much. His 166 SO second year beats Miggy's worst (148) by 18, also Miggy's second year (but his first full year in MLB). However, then Miggy improved. Stanton? Nope. Miggy's strikeout rate has never been worse than 18.7% since his first full year. Stanton has now put up three seasons of 27.6% or more (he went up to 28.5% this year).

Don't get me wrong, I would love Stanton. But he's not even in the same ballpark as Miggy yet. Maybe down the road, but so far, Miggy was better at this stage of their careers by a notable margin. And Stanton's first two years were in the same park Miggy spent his first two.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12