Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Remaining Moves To Be Made - How To Possibly Contend

First off, Happy New Years my fellow Mets fan bredrin. Looking forward to another year of New York Mets baseball.

Now that the key offseason moves have been made in resigning Wright and trading Dickey for d'Aurnaud and Syndergaard, what other (realistic) moves do you think Sandy & Co. should make to make this team a winner? And when I say winner, I do not mean WS Champions, but a winning product out on the field that is cost efficient. Not a 70 win team. I tried my best finding a mock offseason thread or Free Agent thread but couldn't seem to find it. And if there is, I'm sure its pretty outdated.

-Resign Scott Hairston (2Y/5M)
    -Sign Dariel Alvarez (6Y/24M)
    -Sign Brian Wilson (1Y/5M base salary, 2M in incentives)
    -Sign Pedro Feliciano to minor league deal

That is only ~$10M in salary and with Dickey gone as well as Bay's deferred money, there is no reason why these moves can't be made. Alvarez is a move for the future and Wilson is a huge upside guy.

CF - Kirk
    2B - Murphy
    3B - Wright
    1B - Davis
    LF - Duda/Hairston
    RF - Alvarez
    C - d'Aurnaud
    SS - Tejada

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler

LHP - Feliciano, Edgin
    RHP - Mejia, Familia, Francisco
    SU - Parnell
    CL - Wilson

Great rotation, lockdown bullpen, high-upside lineup. Recipe for success yet cost efficient.

Marlins suck. Phillies don't scare me. I believe the Nationals will take a step back. And this team is no worse than the Braves IMO.

I always get optimistic this time of year but honestly I feel like this team can compete.

What do you think could/should be done (realistically) to compete yet still maintain a low payroll?

vCash
    There is absolutely no chance in hell we contend next year unless:

1)we get exceptional pitching and 200 IP from AT LEAST 3 of:

Santana/Niese/Harvey/Gee

2)Ike and Duda become consistent hitters: 800+ OPS from both

3)David returns to 2012 form

4)Familia, Edjin and Mejia solidify the pen.

No moves are being made.
    Last edited by waveycrockett; 01-01-2013 at 08:36 PM.

vCash
    Two outfielders and a back end starting pitcher to start.

Then pray for lots of luck.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    First off, Happy New Years my fellow Mets fan bredrin. Looking forward to another year of New York Mets baseball.

Now that the key offseason moves have been made in resigning Wright and trading Dickey for d'Aurnaud and Syndergaard, what other (realistic) moves do you think Sandy & Co. should make to make this team a winner? And when I say winner, I do not mean WS Champions, but a winning product out on the field that is cost efficient. Not a 70 win team. I tried my best finding a mock offseason thread or Free Agent thread but couldn't seem to find it. And if there is, I'm sure its pretty outdated.

-Resign Scott Hairston (2Y/5M)
    -Sign Dariel Alvarez (6Y/24M)
    -Sign Brian Wilson (1Y/5M base salary, 2M in incentives)
    -Sign Pedro Feliciano to minor league deal

That is only ~$10M in salary and with Dickey gone as well as Bay's deferred money, there is no reason why these moves can't be made. Alvarez is a move for the future and Wilson is a huge upside guy.

CF - Kirk
    2B - Murphy
    3B - Wright
    1B - Davis
    LF - Duda/Hairston
    RF - Alvarez
    C - d'Aurnaud
    SS - Tejada

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler

LHP - Feliciano, Edgin
    RHP - Mejia, Familia, Francisco
    SU - Parnell
    CL - Wilson

Great rotation, lockdown bullpen, high-upside lineup. Recipe for success yet cost efficient.

Marlins suck. Phillies don't scare me. I believe the Nationals will take a step back. And this team is no worse than the Braves IMO.

I always get optimistic this time of year but honestly I feel like this team can compete.

What do you think could/should be done (realistically) to compete yet still maintain a low payroll?
    You are assuming that that outfield will hid. That might not be the case.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure you won't get Hairston for 2/$5M, and I don't think we're going to pursue Alvarez, since I think 6Y/$24M is way low after what Chapman, Cespedes and Puig got, not to mention Soler's 9 year deal. So here's my plan for the rest of the off season.

Sign Scott Hairston (2Y/$8M - $3.5 in 2013)
    Trade for A.J. Pollock (pre-arb)
    Sign Grady Sizemore (1Y/$1.5M with a 2014 option) ready to play in July, when we trade Hairston.
    Sign Nyjer Morgan to a minor league contract with an invite to ST.
    Sign Shaun Marcum (1Y/$5M) or Joe Saunders or Chris Young
    Sign Dallas Braden (1Y/$800K) ready mid season, as insurance.
    Sign Matt Lindstrom (1Y/$3.5M)
    Sign Peter Moylen and Pedro Feliciano to minor league deals with invites to ST.

Lineup:
    Pollock - CF (R)
    Murphy - 2B (L)
    Wright - 3B (R)
    Davis - 1B (L)
    Hairston/Duda - LF (R/L)
    d'Arnaud - C (R) Buck will be the starting C until mid-May when Travis is brought up.
    Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill - RF (L/R)
    Tejada - SS (R)

Rotation:
    Santana (to be replaced in the rotation by Wheeler at the deadline)
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Marcum/Saunders/Young

Pen:
    CL - Francisco (Hard to avoid, although Parnell or Lindstrom or Edgin could replace him.)
    S/U - Lindstrom, Parnell
    LH - Edgin, Feliciano/Carson
    RH - Two of Greg Burke, Peter Moylen, Armando Rodriguez or Elvin Ramirez

Strong lineup, tough rotation, solid pen . . an over .500 team. Contender? Stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by dunbummin; 01-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Alvarez is not really major league ready and he's not the talent of Chapman, Cespedes, and Puig.

vCash
    We're going to lose next season so I'd rather stink it up and get a high draft pick rather than barely hitting 80-82 wins while missing the playoffs. In case you all didn't notice, we are in a tough division, so unless we're winning 90 games easily, we're probably not getting anywhere.

It's all about 2014 and beyond. I just want this season to be about seeing what our young kids have, and also to give Ike Davis and Lucas Duda a chance to show what they have. To me, it's a make or break year with Duda.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    We're going to lose next season so I'd rather stink it up and get a high draft pick rather than barely hitting 80-82 wins while missing the playoffs. In case you all didn't notice, we are in a tough division, so unless we're winning 90 games easily, we're probably not getting anywhere.

It's all about 2014 and beyond. I just want this season to be about seeing what our young kids have, and also to give Ike Davis and Lucas Duda a chance to show what they have. To me, it's a make or break year with Duda.
    I'd be ecstatic if he won 80-82 games with the young squad we have. That would mean that a lot of young guys are making significant contributions, which would speed up the rebuilding process.

Sadly, that will not likely happen due to so many holes being unfilled so we will likely get a high pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    I'm pretty sure you won't get Hairston for 2/$5M, and I don't think we're going to pursue Alvarez, since I think 6Y/$24M is way low after what Chapman, Cespedes and Puig got, not to mention Soler's 9 year deal. So here's my plan for the rest of the off season.

Sign Scott Hairston (2Y/$8M - $3.5 in 2013)
    Trade for A.J. Pollock (pre-arb)
    Sign Grady Sizemore (1Y/$1.5M with a 2014 option) ready to play in July, when we trade Hairston.
    Sign Nyjer Morgan to a minor league contract with an invite to ST.
    Sign Shaun Marcum (1Y/$5M) or Joe Saunders or Chris Young
    Sign Dallas Braden (1Y/$800K) ready mid season, as insurance.
    Sign Matt Lindstrom (1Y/$3.5M)
    Sign Peter Moylen and Pedro Feliciano to minor league deals with invites to ST.

Lineup:
    Pollock - CF (R)
    Murphy - 2B (L)
    Wright - 3B (R)
    Davis - 1B (L)
    Hairston/Duda - LF (R/L)
    d'Arnaud - C (R) Buck will be the starting C until mid-May when Travis is brought up.
    Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill - RF (L/R)
    Tejada - SS (R)

Rotation:
    Santana (to be replaced in the rotation by Wheeler at the deadline)
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Marcum/Saunders/Young

Pen:
    CL - Francisco (Hard to avoid, although Parnell or Lindstrom or Edgin could replace him.)
    S/U - Lindstrom, Parnell
    LH - Edgin, Feliciano/Carson
    RH - Two of Greg Burke, Peter Moylen, Armando Rodriguez or Elvin Ramirez

Strong lineup, tough rotation, solid pen . . an over .500 team. Contender? Stranger things have happened.
    You make it sound so easy to trade for Pollack. Chances are if we got Pollack, ARI might want someone like Murphy or Gee, then that leaves another hole. Otherwise what would you think they would trade him for?

Also, you think Marcum is gonna take $5mil for 1 yr on a ****** team? Marcum has been very good and underrated for several years now, and with this ridiculous money SP's are getting, he won't be settling for 1 yr/5 mil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    You make it sound so easy to trade for Pollack. Chances are if we got Pollack, ARI might want someone like Murphy or Gee, then that leaves another hole. Otherwise what would you think they would trade him for?

Also, you think Marcum is gonna take $5mil for 1 yr on a ****** team? Marcum has been very good and underrated for several years now, and with this ridiculous money SP's are getting, he won't be settling for 1 yr/5 mil.
    I don't think any trade is easy. I'd go after Pollock or Parra since the D-Backs have more outfielders than they can use now that they have signed Ross. They're pretty well stocked at the major league level. Their #5 SP is better than Gee, so I'm not sure that they'd ask for him, and they have depth at 3B so where would Murphy play? We'd need to see what prospects they might ask for in return, and go from there. Maybe Familia and Tapia would do it. Might have to add a lower level prospect. If I struck out with Arizona, though, there are several other good young outfielders I could target. Bottom line is I would try like hell to bring in a fleet footed center fielder who could lead off for us.

Marcum lost 2 months this past season due to elbow problems. He has some injury issues in his past, which tends to pose a red flag for some suitors. He hasn't signed yet, and as it gets later and later in the off season, odd things tend to happen. So yes, I think it is possible to get Marcum for 1/$5M as spring training approaches. (Note: I said possible, not necessarily probable.) If I were unable to sign Marcum or Saunders, I wouldn't be unhappy with Young. One more year removed from surgery should result in even better performance than last year.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    The remaining moves are just filling three outfield positions, an entire bullpen and at least one starting pitcher, that's all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    The remaining moves are just filling three outfield positions, an entire bullpen and at least one starting pitcher, that's all.
    They'll definitely all happen.