Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2013 Gameplans to Finalize Us as a True Contender: What's Yours?

So this is a response to EDU about how we should acquire Dwight Howard. I say HELL NO to Howard and.......

Here is my plan for the Rockets next year that I think can make us serious contenders:

First, I think next year the cap will go up slightly as it hasn't in 3 years. I expect a cap of 60.2 million. (this is based on the revenue formula used to calculate the cap and the expected revenue of this season)

I think the Rockets keep Douglas but we're going to trade Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris. That will clear $5.5 million. That will put us roughly around $32.5 million. That will give us about $27.5 million.

Now remember contracts always escalate as the years pass, where the 1st year is the cheapest year. So I believe we can sign a max deal (Chris Paul, Josh smith, ect) and the first year will cost us $17,168,750 and that is based off the salary cap and Paul's 7 yr vet 1st year (if it's Chris Paul) max deal.

After signing the Max deal this will then leave the Rockets about $10.331 million. We use that to sign Paul Millsap. His first year might come in around $9.5 million based on a $12 million dollar annual salary.

That would leave the Rockets slightly under the cap: Around $900,000 . We would then get 2 exceptions: Non-Taxpayers of about $5 million and the Salary Cap Exception (for those under) of about $2.335 million.

We would have to use the Non-Taxpayer Exception on Redick. We then can use the remaining exceptions for small fillers (such as Delfino) and a draft pick. If we sign Josh Smith we would be further under the cap as we would save $4.322 million the 1st year of his max deal.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm

You could have the Rockets with potential lineups of:

PG: Chris Paul / Jeremy Lin / Toney Douglas
    SG: James Harden / JJ Redick /
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Carlos Delfino
    PF: Paul Millsap / Donatas Motiejunas / Terrence Jones
    C: Omer Asik / Greg Smith / Cole Aldrich

Paul and Harden would be the best back court in the NBA. We might have the best 1-2-3 PGs in the NBA. The bench would be killer with Lin driving in kicking out to Redick or Delfino.

OR

PG: Jeremy Lin / Toney Douglas / Scott Machado
    SG: James Harden / JJ Redick
    SF: Josh Smith / Chandler Parsons
    PF: Paul Millsap / Donatas Motiejunas / Terrence Jones
    C: Omer Asik / Greg Smith / Cole Aldrich

Our defense would be the best in the nba. We could still run like we do now with Lin, Harden, and Smith. Then Parsons would be the 6th man of the year. Redick is still there adding 3's and good minutes.

Remember the Rockets are the Youngest team in the league right now.

vCash
    I love Chris Paul and aside from Lebron and Durant there's nobody I'd rather have wearing a Rockets jersey. But he's a pipe dream. The Clippers are killing it, they have an extremely deep team and a young core. If they make it to the WCF, no way will he walk and the Clippers would be more than willing to make him a max offer.

As for Josh Smith, I've pretty much expressed my feeling on him a hundred times. But giving him a ton of money to play SF over a guy like Parsons who is arguably a better player and makes next to nothing makes absolutely no sense.

Millsap or Jefferson would each be decent options, but I'm not sure either of them alone makes the Rockets a contender. The dream scenario would be getting Howard to sign a long term deal or somehow trading for Love. If Morey doesn't think either of those are a realistic possibility, then he's got to take what he can get and make the best team he can possibly make right now.

First and foremost, though, I think he needs to see what he's already got on this roster and how far they can go. If they keep winning games, they somehow look good in the playoffs and Parsons or Lin step up their games, then maybe he doesn't have to swing for the fences. I'm going to take the same approach. Until we know what this team has, let's not make any rash judgments.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 12-27-2012 at 11:47 PM.

vCash
    OK first you're assuming the cap will be higher, then you're assuming we're trading both Patterson and Morris, then CP3 would leave the Clippers and Millsap would come for a 12-million contract, and then Redick would come here.

That's a lot of assumptions and they would not work.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    It's also extremely unlikely we end up, in any way, a contender in 2013. We're still the youngest team in the league, and we don't have many assets to swing another big deal. As MBT said the dream scenario would be Howard or Love, but what could we offer for Minnesota?
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    with how good the Clippers are....I don't think Paul will be leaving. my plan is simple....trade for Aldridge. anyone on the team is available except for Lin, Harden, and Asik

"Hard" Kobe getting shook by a role player

vCash
    Milsapp, LMA or Cousins. Trade PPatt, Jones/DMO, Cook and that first rounder from Raptors, or did we use that in the Harden deal ?

vCash
    At this point: nothing. Obviously we should always keep our eyes open for possible trades, but I'm heavily against the idea that we should already be making a big move for non-superstars.

I mean, just looking at this roster, we're the youngest team in the league. We still have about 3 or 4 years before everyone hits their prime and that's when we should be serious contenders. Realistically, who in the world sees us contending in 2013 already? I know I don't, so what would be the point of gathering all-star caliber players who have already hit their primes, when our real playoff run won't be until years from now.

I think that for the moment we should be developing our current prospects (Motiejunas, T-Jones, Machado) and wait for the moment to pull the trigger on that one piece that will put us over the top (in 2014's FA, ideally) or maybe even have one of our young guys grow to become that missing piece.

Oh to be a Gooner...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAC94 View Post
    Milsapp, LMA or Cousins. Trade PPatt, Jones/DMO, Cook and that first rounder from Raptors, or did we use that in the Harden deal ?
    The 1st round pick from Toronto was used in the Harden trade.

vCash
    damn, what picks do we have left for the next 2 years ?

vCash
    Cousins should be our #1 priority right now!! we can buy him cheap and he will turn into a STUD under the new regime! having Harden-Cousins as the cornerstone for the next 5+ years! OMG!!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN MOREY!!

vCash
    This may be crazy since GS is in contention, but if they start slumping and start looking to sell what do you guys think it would take to get a guy like David Lee?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13eard View Post
    Cousins should be our #1 priority right now!! we can buy him cheap and he will turn into a STUD under the new regime! having Harden-Cousins as the cornerstone for the next 5+ years! OMG!!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN MOREY!!
    You just knew someone would say it.....

Why in the hell would we want the most immature player in the NBA right now to join the youngest team with no vets to control him? If he ever goes anywhere I think it would be to Boston where KG can handle him (you think Lin will be able to keep a kid like that under control), basically his 3 strikes are up.

I would be open to Milsap if we are talking about a contract less than 12mill per year and would jump at Paul, Howard, Lebron, Durant, Rose, Love or Rondo for any offer not including Harden or Asik (Asik as part of a Howard deal would be fine), but none of that is happening.

A move I wouldn't mind seeing us do is offering Jose Calderon a short term higher that average deal, as I see him as the best vet that would come at a decent price.
    C: Asik PF: PatPat SF: Parsons SG: Harden PG: Lin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegame187 View Post

Why in the hell would we want the most immature player in the NBA right now to join the youngest team with no vets to control him? If he ever goes anywhere I think it would be to Boston where KG can handle him (you think Lin will be able to keep a kid like that under control), basically his 3 strikes are up.

I would be open to Milsap if we are talking about a contract less than 12mill per year and would jump at Paul, Howard, Lebron, Durant, Rose, Love or Rondo for any offer not including Harden or Asik (Asik as part of a Howard deal would be fine), but none of that is happening.

A move I wouldn't mind seeing us do is offering Jose Calderon a short term higher that average deal, as I see him as the best vet that would come at a decent price.
    agreed. we don't have the veteran presence to control Cousins. we're a team filled with nice guys. I don't think any of our players...Lin, Harden, Parsons, or Asik...has the personality to reign in Cousins. imo...trading for Cousins will make our team worse by ruining our chemistry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegame187 View Post

and you just knew someone would reply like that...

Cousins isn't immature it is all media HYPE. what would you do if you were arguably a top 5 player at your position and havent won more than 30 games a season since you were drafted?

We are a team on the RISE, Cousins will understand that and he will play along. Call me crazy but i believe this team is PERFECT for DMC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13eard View Post
    and you just knew someone would reply like that...

Cousins isn't immature it is all media HYPE. what would you do if you were arguably a top 5 player at your position and havent won more than 30 games a season since you were drafted?

We are a team on the RISE, Cousins will understand that and he will play along. Call me crazy but i believe this team is PERFECT for DMC
    so it's because of the media that he's currently suspended due to his immaturity? it's because of the media that his current team doesn't want him anymore because of how immature he is? yes. you're right. he's not immature at all darn the media for hyping him up to be an immature player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast