Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How optimistic are you about the Mets future?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very optimistic

10 15.63%
  • Optimistic

35 54.69%
  • Not sure yet

12 18.75%
  • Not very optimistic

6 9.38%
  • Not optimistic at all

1 1.56%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    In your opinion, should we expect at least 2 big name free agent signings next year? Just curious, because that's an awfully low figure. In 2012, the lowest total payrolls were San Diego and Oakland with $55m. Surely we will have a larger payroll than that in 2014?
    Of course that figure doesn't include arb raises and minimum salaries for players. That would put the payroll to roughly $40-45M depending on what they do with guys like Murphy, Parnell, etc.

If we bring in say, Martin Prado and Corey Hart, our payroll would be in the $65-$70M range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bofakop View Post
    I have to say not sure yet.

While I am happy with the Dickey trade..and some of the moves we have made to bolster our System, I have about zero faith that our Owners are going to be able to spend any money whatsoever in the coming years to supplement our young players coming up.

I have no problem with them not spending money right now..quite frankly there is not much out there this season...that will make much impact on our team. But with the financial disaster these owners are in..what makes anyone think that they will spend any money in the near future? There is a distinct possibility that when the money comes off the books in the coming years, that they will just not replace it(my biggest fear). Everyone on here seems to be assuming that they will spend money to keep us at a certain payroll level.... What have they done recently to make you so optimistic???

I am a Huge Met fan...have been since the late 60's..and always will be, but I am really having a hard time believing these Owners are willing to spend any money anytime soon(I get the feeling they think that Wrights signing will make everyone content for now)..I SURE HOPE I AM WRONG.

As good as I think that our young players are going to be...it is not enough to make us playoff competitive in the near future without at least a few pretty big free agent signings in the next few years..THERE HAS TO BE A HAPPY MEDIUM OF YOUTH AND VETERAN ADDITIONS TO BE SUCCESSFUL!!
    I agree with every syllable of this.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bofakop View Post
    I have to say not sure yet.

While I am happy with the Dickey trade..and some of the moves we have made to bolster our System, I have about zero faith that our Owners are going to be able to spend any money whatsoever in the coming years to supplement our young players coming up.

I have no problem with them not spending money right now..quite frankly there is not much out there this season...that will make much impact on our team. But with the financial disaster these owners are in..what makes anyone think that they will spend any money in the near future? There is a distinct possibility that when the money comes off the books in the coming years, that they will just not replace it(my biggest fear). Everyone on here seems to be assuming that they will spend money to keep us at a certain payroll level.... What have they done recently to make you so optimistic???

I am a Huge Met fan...have been since the late 60's..and always will be, but I am really having a hard time believing these Owners are willing to spend any money anytime soon(I get the feeling they think that Wrights signing will make everyone content for now)..I SURE HOPE I AM WRONG.

As good as I think that our young players are going to be...it is not enough to make us playoff competitive in the near future without at least a few pretty big free agent signings in the next few years..THERE HAS TO BE A HAPPY MEDIUM OF YOUTH AND VETERAN ADDITIONS TO BE SUCCESSFUL!!
    Great post bofakop.

Please do so more often. Rational and real world thinking is always welcomed.

I've been a fan a long time too. But, I am getting to the point where if the Mets' bumbling, mismanagement continues I will retire from following the team unless there is a change of ownership.

To me, it's pitiful how the Whimpons harmed this franchise to the point where it needs a complete overhaul. That's where we are today..... Sorry, I ran out of emoticons.

Some posters on this forum think we are going to be serious contenders in a few years. My 49+ years experience following this team tells me otherwise. I call it just being knowledgeable.

If We Can't Get Tulo Then Sign This Free Agent For Shortstop

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    There's good reason to believe the Mets will be contender once again in a few years. Some great minor league talent and plenty of money coming off the books with free agent classes that are much better than this years.

Only time will tell, though.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 01-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Bay and Santana's buy-outs for next year count towards this year's payroll. The actual payroll numbers are not affected by deferals according to Adam Rubin's source.

There is only $25M on the payroll next year.

I'll stick to my source, they're on next years payroll, for no reason at all, both players have left/will have left the team prior to the 2014 season, so why is money from their deals held over to 2014?

Makes no sense, apart from lowering what they spend in 2013.

Even @ $25M, that's with TWO players paid for...

vCash
    No you haven't, you clearly said to me that you have no idea on what to improve the team.

I said no such thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I said no such thing.
    You didn't say it, but you basically admitted it to me.

Why shouldn't you? You keep complaining about how Sandy's not making the team better, yet you can't come up with a single idea to make it happen.

Typical.
    Why should I?

They haven't done as single thing to improve the team, but I'm supposed to come up with solutions?

Ok.

It's not up to me, I'm a fan. I want to win, I want to see the team improved, i'm tired of throwing seasons away before they begin. If you're happy with doing nothing then you must be happy throwing seasons away.
    You have no idea how to improve the team, saying Sandy should just do it is a lame answer and shows that it isn't an easy thing to accomplish. It will take time.

vCash
    You didn't say it, but you basically admitted it to me.

No I didn't. Not at all. Or anything like it.

You have no idea how to improve the team, saying Sandy should just do it is a lame answer and shows that it isn't an easy thing to accomplish. It will take time.

Here's a few ideas, spend your allotted $$$$ in the draft, acquire a reliever or two and a OF. The Mets are doing none of those things

vCash
    Here's a few ideas, spend your allotted $$$$ in the draft, acquire a reliever or two and a OF. The Mets are doing none of those things
    Go back in time and bring us these players in there prime. Cleon Jones, Strawberry, and Mookie. Please don't come back until you do. Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Go back in time and bring us these players in there prime. Cleon Jones, Strawberry, and Mookie. Please don't come back until you do. Thanks.

No, I don't want too.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 01-02-2013 at 05:56 AM.

vCash
    No, I don't want too.
    Damn it.

vCash
    Fair enough on the draft.

Which relievers and which outfielder should they aqcuire that will make a difference? Or do you just want them to spend for the sake of spending?

vCash
    Fair enough on the draft.

Which relievers and which outfielder should they aqcuire that will make a difference? Or do you just want them to spend for the sake of spending?
    The Mets have a GM/PR man and two guys who are ex GM's, and Ricco who could possibly be a GM one day, and you want ME to tell you what the team should do?

No, I want them to spend to improve the team.

vCash
    The Mets have a GM/PR man and two guys who are ex GM's, and Ricco who could possibly be a GM one day, and you want ME to tell you what the team should do?

No, I want them to spend to improve the team.
    Yes, now answer the question instead of avoiding it.

Spend on who? Tell me. I'm all ears.

vCash
    Yes, now answer the question instead of avoiding it.

Spend on who? Tell me. I'm all ears.

I haven't avoided anything I have answered it. It is not my job, neither do I have all the information that 4 pro very well-paid baseball people have. If they need my help, then we are screwed.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast