Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How optimistic are you about the Mets future?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very optimistic

10 15.63%
  • Optimistic

35 54.69%
  • Not sure yet

12 18.75%
  • Not very optimistic

6 9.38%
  • Not optimistic at all

1 1.56%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    And by premier talent, I basically mean we better be ready to spend on Robinson Cano next year if he heads into free agency. At least make an offer where he thinks about coming here even if he doesn't. You have to be aggressive with premier guys. Gotta take a page out of the Godfather and make Cano an offer he can't refuse.
    Last edited by yfern328; 12-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    I'm optimistic since we have a good core with Niese, Davis, Wright, D'Arnaud, Wheeler, and Harvey. All who are MLB ready soon or already.

I just wish we had a good outfield prospect coming up. Or just other good young offensive players on this squad

vCash
    Looks like I'm the first to pick "not very optimistic."

My attitude has shifted quite a bit in the past month or so. I'm not against RA Dickey trade. Based on what little I know, I think it was a good move.

Where I start to get negative is that it sure looks like the Wilpons are still WAY too strapped for cash.

We are the ONLY team that has not signed a major league free agent. Why?

We deferred money from Wright.

We deferred money from Bay.

Yet we have not spent a dime, while EVERY other team in MLB has signed an MLB free agent.

How can you look at that and NOT think we're flat out broke?

That is why I'm pessimistic.

vCash
    Not very optimistic, any progress made will be negated by the Coupons cheapness and stupidity sooner or later, they'll do what they always do when we get close to a winner - nothing.

I like the high-end talent in the farm, but that alone is not going to be enough. What their real motives are is pretty clear to me, rather than clearing the decks to spend next year, they're moving salary over to next year, so they can spend less this year, leaving less cash to spend next year.

They're just moving money round.

They give us the annual BS about 'flexibility' but have yet to sign a single FA - not one, not a one.

I take my hat off to the stroke of genius they have pulled off by convincing NY fans it is ok to punt season after season, including 2013, because, wait for it - one more contract expires...

To actually make rational intelligent people believe that everything is going to be completely different in 2014 because JS has left is an achievement.

They used the 'bloated payroll' line for a while, and to be fair they had a point, but, with 7-8 big deals already off the payroll, they are still refusing to spend a single nickel, I don't know where payroll is at right now, but they're going to come in as cheap as possible again, they can sell that because much of the fan base thinks 2014 is going to be a FA bonanza...

Do the people who think it is alright not to improve the team for years and years, think that the money that has not been spent is sat in an envelope marked 'SPEND ME IN 2014'?

Really?

Longer-term, will the Coupons ever get us the pieces we need to go from an 85 win team, to a 95 win team? - I doubt it, they were happy to watch Omar's teams burn, because they had their meaningful Sept games without spending another penny.

If TDA, Harvey and Wheeler don't all become elite talents then this 'plan' has no chance, even then there's no BP, and they're clearly all too happy to trot our the worst OF in baseball for the 2nd consecutive season.

vCash
    I voted optimistic - Yes we got a really good catching prospect in travis d'arnaud, but we knew what we had in Dickey. A stud pitcher. Prospects dont always pan out, but I really hope he does because we need a catcher again. I'm honestly not sure yet, time will tell in our case.

vCash
    This is the best I felt about this organization since December 2005.
    This is the type of trade that the Mets needed to make.
    They traded a Cy Young award winning pitcher for the top catching prospect, a TORP in Syndergaard (with comps to Halladay and Carpenter) and a lottery ticket in Becerra.

I'm also curious what this FO wants to do with Flores, will he be traded or will he play 2nd?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I'm not sure yet because I still want to see Sandy do something other than trade all stars for prospects. That's not to say he won't but i want to see it first.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    This is the best I felt about this organization since December 2005.
    This is the type of trade that the Mets needed to make.
    They traded a Cy Young award winning pitcher for the top catching prospect, a TORP in Syndergaard (with comps to Halladay and Carpenter) and a lottery ticket in Becerra.

I'm also curious what this FO wants to do with Flores, will he be traded or will he play 2nd?
    I asked a similar question in an older thread.

I wonder if they would now consider moving Flores to a corner OF spot rather than trade him.

Or maybe they trade Murphy in a package for an outfielder and move Flores to 2nd?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Until we draft some damn players besides SS/2B and Catcher not very. Now that we wasted a pick on Cecchini last year hopefully we finally draft a damn outfielder.

vCash
    Cautiously optimistic.. its the budget constraints that bother me. How long will this nonsense go on. Its hard to believe the Mets haven't been generating enough revenue in a big market. I still believe its a game the Wilpons are playing.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Not very.

On the plus side SA's gotten good value for Beltran and Dickey. The Mets have improved their farm system to above average (with my rose colored glasses on). In order to be optimistic I would have to see good drafts and a willingness to spend on the draft and believe that there will be a willingness to spend on free agents and to fill holes when the time is right. In order to think that this is going to happen one has to have faith in ownership and I don't.

vCash
    From the 1982 movie "Diner"

Mickey Rourke as "Boog"
    Michael Tucker as "Bagel"

Bagel: Always a dreamer, eh, Boog?
    Boog: If you don't have good dreams, Bagel, you have nightmares.

I voted optimistic.

vCash
    I voted not sure yet.

I am optimistic about the direction that we have been going in. I think the trades Sandy has made have been good ones, and I like that he has not blown cash on old outfielders just because we desperately need an outfielder or three.

But, I don't trust the Wilpons to do the right thing when the time comes. They have pulled this crap time and again. When we were close, they would make one move, but never enough to put us over the top. The whole "meaningful games in September" garbage they pull.

I don't want meaningful games in September. I want them in late October. I can be patient while a long term plan is put in place, but I don't trust these people (not Sandy, the Three Stooges) to do what it takes to put a CHAMPIONSHIP level team on the field, not just a CONTENDING team. There is a difference.

So, I reserve judgement until these people show otherwise.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    I'm surprised more people didn't vote, Not sure yet.

Don't see the optimism, they just haven't proven it yet.
    Can't build a team only on prospects.

We won't know until next winter, because they gave up on this season.
    Last edited by Oldmantrash; 12-28-2012 at 01:48 PM.

vCash
    I voted optimistic but it doesn't tell the whole story. I am optimistic about the players brought in for R.A. Dickey. However we did lose R.A. Dickey, by far our best pitcher.

While I am optimistic in our young prospects such as Wheeler, Harvey, TDA, Mejia, Familia and Syndergaard, I do not see this team competing anytime soon.

McFly just brought up a good point about the deffered money to Wright and Bay but not signing anyone this year. Now signing a free agent this off season doesn't make as much sense as it will next year but it leads me to believe they won't spend next year anyway.
    They may use an excuse such as "We are waiting for Bays contract to come off the books". Yet that contract would have already been off the books if they didn't defer the money. That scares me.

Overall while I am excited about our young players I am not very optimistic due to my beliefs that the Wilpon's will not allow SA to spend on Outfielders and Bullpen help. I also don't see any potential outfielders in our system that will fill the current blackhole that is the Mets outfield.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast