Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How optimistic are you about the Mets future?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very optimistic

10 15.63%
  • Optimistic

35 54.69%
  • Not sure yet

12 18.75%
  • Not very optimistic

6 9.38%
  • Not optimistic at all

1 1.56%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How optimistic are you about the Mets future after the Dickey trade?

I just wanted to see where everyone's at after the R.A. Dickey trade. The Mets got back 2 of the Blue Jays top prospects, one of whom is considered by most to be the top catching prospect in all of baseball. The Mets still have a lot of issues and there are still questions about their financial stability and their willingness to spend. Most fans are looking toward next offseason when the contracts of Johan Santana and Jason Bay among others expire and the only long term deals on the payroll are David Wright's and Jon Niese's. However, many fans need to see the Mets spend the money to believe they're back to spending money when it's necessary. So,the farm has improved, but the major league team has holes, how optimistic are you about the Mets future?

vCash
    Not very, last year I thought they would win 75-77 and they fell short of that. This year I think if they win 70 it will be an achievement.

vCash
    Not sure yet. The big test for me is going to come in the 2013 and 2014 off-seasons. Are we going to sit back with a $50-60 million dollar payroll or are we actually going to start trying to improve the team, especially with a decent-ish year (~75 wins) next season? It's possible that our payroll drops even into the sub $50 million dollar range for the 2014 season. If that happens, it's time for the Wilpons to sell the team.

vCash
    Oh as for 2014 and beyond, well the Mets will eventually have some winning baseball in their future, I just do not know what year.

vCash
    If our payroll isn't up to $90M in 2015 then honestly **** this team. There's actually no reason why it shouldn't be at that level in 2014 but the FA class isn't that intriguing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Oh as for 2014 and beyond, well the Mets will eventually have some winning baseball in their future, I just do not know what year.
    Yeah, I want to see how people see the long term future of this club, not just this year. I think most would agree, the Mets won't be very good this year and this year will focus a lot on the development of some of the young guys.

vCash
    I'm optimistic, but like others, I want to see what actual moves they make for major league players in the coming years. Until then, I won't be very optimistic.

vCash
    The FA class is not that good and guys will get overpaid, so once again are the Mets going to over pay for a mediocre player? that is what got them in the mess to begin with.

vCash
    Since I'm in a good mood, I voted very optimistic. We have three potential aces in the farm/just making their mark, our franchise player locked up for life, and a stud catching prospect we've been lacking for years.

Like others have said, the future will be need ot be full of good trades/free agent signings for players who will help this team win when our young guys are ready.

No matter how you put it, the Mets are in good shape for the future.

vCash
    In all seriousness I'm pretty optimistic. I like our young core moving forward and have to believe our pitching will pan out. We've been losing for too long for our FO not to put a winning product out there in a few years when Bay and Santana's contracts are up like they said they would.

Time will tell..

vCash
    I have to say I am very optimistic. While it is certainly too early to tell, I have this feeling that Td'A and Synders will become part of a core that includes Wright, Davis, Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese. I'm hopeful that one or two of our young position players, like Kirk, Duda, Flores, den Dekker or Puello will blossom shortly, and some of Vaughn, Ceciliani, Taijeron, Nimmo, Evans, Cecchini and Lupo excel further down the line. But most of all, I am excited by the numerous young pitchers in the system. Kids with so much promise. Some may be used in trades to acquire needed difference makers in the coming years, but some will also join the ranks of the Wheelers and Harveys to bolster the team. Even when I take off my rose colored glasses, I see a bright future.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I wish the votes were public.

vCash
    I'm optimistic based on the amount of high end talent now in the upper levels of the minors

That's a good foundation.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I wish the votes were public.
    I don't mean to single him out at all, but yes, I wish they were public. That way I could see if Coupon voted for very optimistic or something. I would get my laugh for the day.

vCash
    I voted optimistic. I feel we have money to spend. 2014 has a great FA class. We have a decent core with more to come in the minors. Additionally, the farm is deep and guys are only getting better. We have basically a top 10 pick in this year's draft and we will probably have a top 15 pick next year as well. So we have 2 years to add more players to an already sound farm.

I'm optimistic but not too optimistic just because I'd like to see us be a bit more aggressive. I can't judge until next offseason when more pieces are in place and we have money to make moves. That said we have no OF and no one coming.

As for spending money, as long as we get quality players I don't mind. If we had our current payroll and team/prospects in addition to Wil Myers and Mike Trout in our OF, I really wouldn't care about payroll. As long as we are fortifying this team with talent, I don't care if it's cheap or expensive. I'd just like to see us spend on premier talent when it's there for the taking.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast