Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 103

Thread: Lowry-surgence?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    10,112
    vCash
    2166
    Quote Originally Posted by the life View Post
    why did huston let lowry go?
    the way you talk about him lowry seems to be pretty awesome player, so why did they let lowry go?

    try to answer this question objectively.
    they tried to get Dwight Howard. they were trying to get first round draft picks for him. Hence, the Lowry trade. Lin was the backup plan, only three years. not a big gamble and the Asian influence is already there, viewership, tv ratings (i.e why the heck is Lin even in the conversation of all star votes is a testament to the marketing genius of Houston's FO)

    Lowry was an awesome player till he got injured. Everyone knows he's on the cusp of being an allstar and arguably a top 10 PG before injuries derailed him last year.

    Like its been said before as well, Calderon is never this consistent and its a contract year and its only 5 games in which they played crummy teams as a small sample sizes. all teams go on these types of hot runs. Calderon has been with this team for this many seasons and he has had his fair share of starting gigs. There's a reason why the Raptors try to keep replacing him - he's not a long term fix.



  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    18,002
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by the life View Post
    this is where you wrong: considering that lowry and harden would have played well together.

    harden is a type of player who needs a pass first pg in order to excel. lowry would have undermined haren's play. maybe harden would have worked along dragic.
    really ? A pass first pg like Westbrook ? or wait hold on I got a better one ... A pass first pg like Lin

    u asked a bad question to prove your point ... I think the rockets were trying to do many different things in the off season.. doesn't make Lowry a bad player by any means.. they got assets back for him..

    and while were on the topic

    Lowry> Lin
    dragic > Lin
    Calderon> Lin
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 12-27-2012 at 09:43 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,284
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT4SS View Post
    The team shouldn't give up on him but he shouldn't be handed the reins either. He needs to adjust to the system in place and not the other way around. Those stats are great but as its been pointed out, they didn't contribute to wins. Over the first three months of the season it seems pretty clear why two other team gave up on him regardless of his talent level. Hopefully he can put his "ego" aside and play well for the Raps and not just his new contract. I think the future is bright if he can buy into the TEAM concept.
    Agreed

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    32,470
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    why dont you revisit this with him when calderon comes back down to earth.

    for now he is the hero and injured lowry is the scapegoat. we have one every year in this forum. and it will change again in a month..
    hahahaha thank you baby boy for saying what I was going to say.
    Just 3 weeks ago everyone was on the lets build up Calderons value and trade him before it diminishes now it goes to lets keep him and trade the best player, talk about fair weather fans.

    I always rag on ink for calling our fan base out at times when he says stuff like that but now that I look at it, hes right people are so fair weather and flip flop so easily.

    Calderon has stolen how many guys PG jobs??? Then why do we ALWAYS look for a PG every year if Calderon is so "amazing" and should be kept???
    If Calderon is great you would think after stealing like 4 guys jobs we would be set at that spot and lock him into the future every year but definitely not the case.

    His value is so high the minute Lowry is healthy, trade his *** somewhere and get good value. We can really package Jose with Fields contracts and get rid of that albatrose to because when teams are desperate we can unload salary, the return won't be amazing but it'll still be decent and for a expiring contract I'll take it.


    2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    18,002
    vCash
    1500

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    they tried to get Dwight Howard. they were trying to get first round draft picks for him. Hence, the Lowry trade. Lin was the backup plan, only three years. not a big gamble and the Asian influence is already there, viewership, tv ratings (i.e why the heck is Lin even in the conversation of all star votes is a testament to the marketing genius of Houston's FO)

    Lowry was an awesome player till he got injured. Everyone knows he's on the cusp of being an allstar and arguably a top 10 PG before injuries derailed him last year.

    Like its been said before as well, Calderon is never this consistent and its a contract year and its only 5 games in which they played crummy teams as a small sample sizes. all teams go on these types of hot runs. Calderon has been with this team for this many seasons and he has had his fair share of starting gigs. There's a reason why the Raptors try to keep replacing him - he's not a long term fix
    .
    where do I get me some of that Korean cabbage ... I likey

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    18,002
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    hahahaha thank you baby boy for saying what I was going to say.
    Just 3 weeks ago everyone was on the lets build up Calderons value and trade him before it diminishes now it goes to lets keep him and trade the best player, talk about fair weather fans.

    I always rag on ink for calling our fan base out at times when he says stuff like that but now that I look at it, hes right people are so fair weather and flip flop so easily.

    Calderon has stolen how many guys PG jobs??? Then why do we ALWAYS look for a PG every year if Calderon is so "amazing" and should be kept???
    If Calderon is great you would think after stealing like 4 guys jobs we would be set at that spot and lock him into the future every year but definitely not the case.

    His value is so high the minute Lowry is healthy, trade his *** somewhere and get good value. We can really package Jose with Fields contracts and get rid of that albatrose to because when teams are desperate we can unload salary, the return won't be amazing but it'll still be decent and for a expiring contract I'll take it.
    Fans who don't recall any of this have the memory of a gold fish ... It's funny cuz the guys been here 8 years and its been nothing but up and down roller coaster rides ...but now all of a sudden he is our saviour

    Is anyone even paying attention to what that kid jack is doing in golden state ? Didn't we chose Calderon over that same guy lol but wait we weren't winning when he was starting for us were we ? or maybe we changed coaches and philosophies so many times that we always end up relying on the pg who is most familiar with the roster instead of giving other guys an actual chance. And so what came out of it ? Like u said why are we always trying to replace Calderon if he is so great after all ?

    Love how lowry is the new iverson of the raps forum. the kids played 15 games for us and he is a cancer all of a sudden ..
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 12-27-2012 at 10:03 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    32,470
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Fans who don't recall any of this have the memory of a gold fish ... It's funny cuz the guys been here 8 years and its been nothing but up and down roller coaster rides ...but now all of a sudden he is our saviour

    Is anyone even paying attention to what that kid jack is doing in golden state ? Didn't we chose Calderon over that same guy lol but wait we weren't winning when he was starting for us were we ? or maybe we changed coaches and philosophies so many times that we always end up relying on the pg who is most familiar with the roster instead of giving other guys an actual chance. And so what came out of it ? Like u said why are we always trying to replace Calderon if he is so great after all ?

    Love how lowry is the new iverson of the raps forum. the kids played 15 games for us and he is a cancer all of a sudden ..
    It's a joke actually.
    Remember when the season started and Lowry was going of and everyone was like lets extend him now yada yada yada??? Now look lol..


    2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,354
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    really ? A pass first pg like Westbrook ? or wait hold on I got a better one ... A pass first pg like Lin

    u asked a bad question to prove your point ... I think the rockets were trying to do many different things in the off season.. doesn't make Lowry a bad player by any means.. they got assets back for him..

    and while were on the topic

    Lowry> Lin
    dragic > Lin
    Calderon> Lin
    John Lucas > Lin

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,354
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    hahahaha thank you baby boy for saying what I was going to say.
    Just 3 weeks ago everyone was on the lets build up Calderons value and trade him before it diminishes now it goes to lets keep him and trade the best player, talk about fair weather fans.

    I always rag on ink for calling our fan base out at times when he says stuff like that but now that I look at it, hes right people are so fair weather and flip flop so easily.

    Calderon has stolen how many guys PG jobs??? Then why do we ALWAYS look for a PG every year if Calderon is so "amazing" and should be kept???
    If Calderon is great you would think after stealing like 4 guys jobs we would be set at that spot and lock him into the future every year but definitely not the case.


    His value is so high the minute Lowry is healthy, trade his *** somewhere and get good value. We can really package Jose with Fields contracts and get rid of that albatrose to because when teams are desperate we can unload salary, the return won't be amazing but it'll still be decent and for a expiring contract I'll take it.
    That statement makes me realize that I'm starting to lean towards the "GTFO BC" bandwagon

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    18,002
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    That statement makes me realize that I'm starting to lean towards the "GTFO BC" bandwagon
    Me too

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    it'd be dumb to get rid of him. we gave up a possibly top 3-7 draft pick for him, so to quit on him after 2 months would show the ineptitude of this FO. Let him last the season. But if he asks out before then, then maybe we can shop him around. It's hilarious that people took 7 years to get sick of Bargs, yet wanna push Lowry out after 2 months.
    this


    Leafs, Raps, Jays, and Bills fan!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    36,690
    vCash
    1255
    Quote Originally Posted by the life View Post
    this is where you wrong: considering that lowry and harden would have played well together.

    harden is a type of player who needs a pass first pg in order to excel. lowry would have undermined haren's play. maybe harden would have worked along dragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy_T28 View Post
    lin is not a pass first point guard and i'd say harden is doing pretty darn well
    took the words right outta my mouth


  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    15,190
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    hahahaha thank you baby boy for saying what I was going to say.
    Just 3 weeks ago everyone was on the lets build up Calderons value and trade him before it diminishes now it goes to lets keep him and trade the best player, talk about fair weather fans.

    I always rag on ink for calling our fan base out at times when he says stuff like that but now that I look at it, hes right people are so fair weather and flip flop so easily.

    Calderon has stolen how many guys PG jobs??? Then why do we ALWAYS look for a PG every year if Calderon is so "amazing" and should be kept???
    If Calderon is great you would think after stealing like 4 guys jobs we would be set at that spot and lock him into the future every year but definitely not the case.

    His value is so high the minute Lowry is healthy, trade his *** somewhere and get good value. We can really package Jose with Fields contracts and get rid of that albatrose to because when teams are desperate we can unload salary, the return won't be amazing but it'll still be decent and for a expiring contract I'll take it.
    Well firstly, I doubt Jose has very much trade value... He has a reputation around the league of a bad defender and that's always hurt his trade value. Secondly, most teams have good point guards and he isn't a top calibre PG so no one's ever been willing to give up much for him... People will trade a lot for a dynamic pg but no one is willing to pay much for a decent one.

    Secondly, Jose hasn't beaten everyone for the PG position. He's kinda won it by default. TJ's first year in 06, it was clear who the better PG was. That injury just kinda ended TJ's career but TJ was spectacular that season and Jose was definitely the backup to TJ. Bayless was too inconsistent to be rewarded minutes.

    The problem with this team (In My Opinion) is that it's kinda built for Jose and not for Lowry. That's why Jose comes off as the better fit for the team. It's because he is. But the problem is that we can't win with him consistently. We have bigs that can finish (Jonas, Ed, Andrea and Amir) and wings that can finish (Demar, AA & Ross). Lowry needs a rugged team that has defenders and he can be the anchor of that defense. That's how he shined in Houston. He's good in a half court offense cause he can make shots late in the clock and can create for himself and others when need be. This roster in Toronto doesn't do either. We have players that either over dribble (Andrea & Demar) or players that are only finishers (Jonas, Ed and Amir). And obviously, none of them are above average defenders. The fit with Lowry isn't going to work if the composition of the roster isn't changed. Honestly, I think that Jeremy Lin would do much better in this situation than Lowry cause the players complement his talent much better.

    I think that management needs to really evaluate what they wanna do long term but Jose has proven that even a team that complements his skills is simply a team that might make the playoffs. I just feel that Lowry's talents are more versatile and could be a more integral component of a longer playoff run.
    Last edited by CB29; 12-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    36,690
    vCash
    1255
    Quote Originally Posted by CB29 View Post
    Well firstly, I doubt Jose has very much trade value... He has a reputation around the league of a bad defender and that's always hurt his trade value. Secondly, most teams have good point guards and he isn't a top calibre PG so no one's ever been willing to give up much for him... People will trade a lot for a dynamic pg but no one is willing to pay much for a decent one.

    Secondly, Jose hasn't beaten everyone for the PG position. He's kinda won it by default. TJ's first year in 06, it was clear who the better PG was. That injury just kinda ended TJ's career but TJ was spectacular that season and Jose was definitely the backup to TJ. Bayless was too inconsistent to be rewarded minutes.

    The problem with this team (In My Opinion) is that it's kinda built for Jose and not for Lowry. We have bigs that can finish (Jonas, Ed, Andrea and Amir) and wings that can finish (Demar, AA & Ross). Lowry needs a rugged team that has defenders and he can be the anchor of that defense. That's how he shined in Houston. He's good in a half court offense cause he can make shots late in the clock and can create for himself and others when need be. This roster in Toronto doesn't do either. We have players that either over dribble (Andrea & Demar) or players that are only finishers (Jonas, Ed and Amir). And obviously, none of them are above average defenders. The fit with Lowry isn't going to work if the composition of the roster isn't changed. Honestly, I think that Jeremy Lin would do much better in this situation than Lowry cause the players complement his talent much better.

    I think that management needs to really evaluate what they wanna do long term but Jose has proven that even a team that complements his skills is simply a team that might make the playoffs. I just feel that Lowry's talents are more versatile and could be a more integral component of a longer playoff run.
    this is exactly what I've said. most of the guys on our team need to be spoon-fed points so Calderon's game fits them more. We need to somehow get Lowry to fit with the personnel we have. We can't just quit on the guy after 2 months after we gave up a top 3-8 pick for him. Trading him now would be like trading Jonas now...give him time.


  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    15,190
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    this is exactly what I've said. most of the guys on our team need to be spoon-fed points so Calderon's game fits them more. We need to somehow get Lowry to fit with the personnel we have. We can't just quit on the guy after 2 months after we gave up a top 3-8 pick for him. Trading him now would be like trading Jonas now...give him time.
    I would only give up Lowry for a rudy gay type player which definitely won't happen. I don't see how it'll be possible to get an equivalent return for Lowry anyways... I can't see a trade involving him happening... Granger's missed the whole year so far so no way we trade for an injury riddled player.

    Our teams so ****ed though... Like ross is playing well so if we bring in a wing it's gonna hurt his development. I honestly am willing to trade Andrea, demar and Jose for draft picks just to see how ross, J Val develop. Bringing in vets are gonna hurt them and these guys have way more potential than the previous 3. Ross has a sick shot and he rebounds effectively too. Plus, he's a good defender too. This guys gonna be better than demar by next year i think just cause he does so many things.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •