Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Calderon?

vCash

Jose Calderon?

Hey guise, just on the outside looking in here, but I don't get at all why you guys would wanna trade Jose, I mean I get that his contract doesn't look too pretty and the fact that he does have great value that you guys can trade and get back good assets, but he's such a good player for your team, I'm just baffled on why he's constantly bring mentioned in all these trade talk/rumors. Please explain all this cuz I just don't get it at all...

Dathomir Rancors (4-2)

vCash
    because he's expiring, and we're rebuilding. plus we already have a younger and better PG. nobody wants him gone for just trash...we want a good return for him. so if we can get good assets, why not trade him?

vCash
    hoopshype - "Though he’s out now injured, the Raptors supposedly would like to put Kyle Lowry in a trade package and keep Jose Calderon. The Raptors give up 11 more points per game when Lowry is on the court compared with Calderon. NBA.com"

vCash
    jose "the controversy" calderon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerrrrrr View Post
    hoopshype - "Though hes out now injured, the Raptors supposedly would like to put Kyle Lowry in a trade package and keep Jose Calderon. The Raptors give up 11 more points per game when Lowry is on the court compared with Calderon. NBA.com"
    I think that would be a terrible decision for this team. Jose Calderon has the team chemistry, but Lowry is the superior player. Not to mention Bargnani skews those statistics since him and Lowry are always on the court together.

To be fair, Calderon probably has a better chance of re-signing here than Lowry, so I understand the motive of the GM based on the premise that that excerpt is true.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    I think that would be a terrible decision for this team. Jose Calderon has the team chemistry, but Lowry is the superior player. Not to mention Bargnani skews those statistics since him and Lowry are always on the court together.

To be fair, Calderon probably has a better chance of re-signing here than Lowry, so I understand the motive of the GM based on the premise that that excerpt is true.
    also important to note that calerdon is in a contract year, so he's playing all out no matter what. Not to say he doesn't produce every year he's played for us, but contract year mentality must be factored in.

vCash
    if we can trade Lowry for a solid starting SF this team can be in really good shape for the future. i was so excited when we acquired him though. very torn on this one because i've always believed in Calderon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    I think the thing with Calderon vs Lowry- such different styles of play and they are both very very good PG's in their own style. The problem for Lowry is he is an attacking pg, taking shots early in the clock, pushing the ball and wanting to play a transition game where the team is constantly running. I personally love this style of game, but the Raptors aren't equiped to play this style of game for 4 quarters. jose tends to run more 1/2 court sets, allowing the defense to transition properly. This is why the team is holding teams to 11pts/game less with Jose starting vs Lowry. The defense isn't able to transition properly with Lowry. So...in my opinion there are 2 options - you stick with Lowry and Calderon, and adjust the rest of the roster to bring in more athletic players, reign in Lowry offensively a bit, or you need to trade Lowry as Calderon is a better fit with the rest of the roster.

The other option is that you adjust the players that they are playing with...more athletic players are with Lowry etc, or you adjust the starting pg depending on who you are playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerrrrrr View Post
    hoopshype - "Though hes out now injured, the Raptors supposedly would like to put Kyle Lowry in a trade package and keep Jose Calderon. The Raptors give up 11 more points per game when Lowry is on the court compared with Calderon. NBA.com"
    We could possible get a great return for Lowry. If we find the right SF I'm all for it. I think we can fill the PG position easier than we can the SF spot. Look how many years it been and that SF spot has still been an issue. Plus Lowry doesn't want to come off the bench so let's see how this plays out.

vCash
    This is my theory about the two PGs.

If you have players in your team that are so dependent on a passing PG then Calderon is the guy. The Raptors have players that cannot create, ie Derozan and Amir, both of these guys thrived with Calderon.

Lowry wanted the ball at all times thus most of the players around him are relegated to be spot up shooters. Bargs with his offensive woes struggled with Lowry as the starting PG. Derozan has a decent 15 footer but is not dead shot from outside.

If we pair Calderon with Derozan and Bargs, the offense will sometimes struggle but on most nights, defensively they will.

I think if we pair Lowry with wings that can create(Ross/Anderson) and two defensive minded bigs, ie Ed and Val then the team will be more efficient in the long run. Both Ross and Anderson are decent long range shooters and defensively are better as well.

BC has to make a choice what team he wants going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GunFactor007 View Post
    Hey guise, just on the outside looking in here, but I don't get at all why you guys would wanna trade Jose, I mean I get that his contract doesn't look too pretty and the fact that he does have great value that you guys can trade and get back good assets, but he's such a good player for your team, I'm just baffled on why he's constantly bring mentioned in all these trade talk/rumors. Please explain all this cuz I just don't get it at all...
    People have only been saying "Jose is a great PG" over the last 13 days. Before that, it was more like "Calderon is...meh". All of a sudden, we win 5 games in a row against crappy teams, and Jose plays great in those 5 games. Now all of a sudden he's the best player in our team - based on a sample size of 5 games against crappy teams. Then they lost to the Spurs last night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    People have only been saying "Jose is a great PG" over the last 13 days. Before that, it was more like "Calderon is...meh". All of a sudden, we win 5 games in a row against crappy teams, and Jose plays great in those 5 games. Now all of a sudden he's the best player in our team - based on a sample size of 5 games against crappy teams. Then they lost to the Spurs last night.
    And unfortunately for GM's on other teams, his trade value has skyrocketed because of those 5 games against crappy teams. It doesn't make sense, but it's almost like the hype created by the fans automatically increases the value of a player, and GM's have to play along with that when going through trade scenarios. Even when they know, that if the Raptors play 5 really good teams, with good PG's that expose all of Jose's flaws, his trade value would probably drop. So here's to hoping we trade Jose before we face 5 good teams in a row

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    thank you! not saying calderon is bad but he was playing over his head against inferior competition. lowry is the better player.

"they didn't call anything, so i took off" - terrence ross
    #letrossdunk

vCash
    Sometimes it seems that the only people underrating and undervaluing Calderon are people in Toronto.

vCash
    calderon and bargs need to be packaged and sent out!!! they have had a long time to prove them selves on this team and lead us no where.

in 8 seasons how many times has calderon been as good as he has been this season consistently ??

calderon is playing great right now sure but he is in a contract year. im not suprised he is playing well.. but he was over paid in his last contract and he will be looking for another pay day if he stays in toronto. will his performance remain as good as it has been over the last few weeks ? the last 8 years suggest other wise.

all the dudes with boners for calderon at the moment will scortch him once he comes back down to earth. this guy is cleary playing for a contract and lowry is better then him over all on both ends of the court.

the only thing calderon does better is pass which is huge but you guys have to admit lowry has not been given a fair chance and giving up on him already is a mistake. less then 20 games with new team mates in a new system is not enought to judge.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 12-27-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast