Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Braves bring back Screaming Indian logo for 2013 batting practice hats

I'm sure everyone has seen the articles around that are bashing the Braves for this and claiming racism. What are your thoughts?

vCash
    i guess im a racist, cause i for one like them,and cant wait till i get one. people have been pulling crap like that against us and the Indians and redskins for years. its a freaking screaming indian get over it...oh i guess you can tell i lke the hat

vCash
    I really don't think it's racist. I actually think it's an honor. I mean your people are the face of a franchise along with the New England Patriots, New York Mets, and the Texas Rangers. Are the Rangers insulting their police force? No

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    'yankee' is a derogatory term in a big chunk of america, but they haven't changed it. if the logo needs to be changed, so does the team name. i don't see how one is so bad and not the other. people are just looking for opportunities to get offended, no matter how undeserved.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    I really don't think it's racist. I actually think it's an honor. I mean your people are the face of a franchise along with the New England Patriots, New York Mets, and the Texas Rangers. Are the Rangers insulting their police force? No
    it's more of a race thing. it'd be like calling cleveland indians the cleveland white guys or the the cleveland black dudes. anytime race is involved, there is going to be a debate.

vCash
    it's not 'white dudes' or 'black guys' though. it's a specialized group of native americans. it would be more like the 'accountants' or 'dairy farmers.' it is most definitely NOT racist.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    It seems like an honor to me. I look at it as being respected. I don't understand how that is demeaning. Eye of the beholder I guess........

I like the logo.

vCash
    Unnecessary, another dumb PR move. Just go with the lower-case "a" logo from the 70s-80s if anything. The teams sucked but those were better uniforms hand down.

vCash
    screaming savage>>>>>>>small 'a'
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

-Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Unnecessary, another dumb PR move. Just go with the lower-case "a" logo from the 70s-80s if anything. The teams sucked but those were better uniforms hand down.
    i agree. use of native american logos and caricatures is obviously a controveral issue in sports, so i dont see why the braves wanted to do this... especially considering how awesome the older retro braves logos look.

vCash
    Screaming Indian is the coolest thing I've seen the Braves do in a while. I wish they brought back the blue they used in the 80's.

vCash
    I really dnt see the big fuss. I have a few shirts and the same hat with that logo. I dnt look at indian$ or native americans as animals or dangerous beings, so why is it so bad that the team wants to honor its mascot. People will look for anything that will get the negative attention
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    If it's racist go ahead and mark me as being on that boat since I got a screaming savage tattoo in 2008.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    if the logo needs to be changed, so does the team name. i don't see how one is so bad and not the other.
    I completely agree with this. I can see how the concept of Native American-related sports imagery might be offensive to Native Americans, and if it is, then I'm all in favor of getting rid of it. But if they get rid of it, they need to get rid of it entirely. Change the name, get new logos, everything. The team name and current logo, with tomahawks and obvious reference to Native American warriors, clearly evokes the same stereotypes as the screaming Indian head. So if one are bad, all are bad.

I don't know enough about how the Native American population feels about this to say whether or not it is racist or offensive. I would certainly not fault them for feeling that way, but the offensiveness is not as obvious to me as, say, the way in which people use "gay" as a pejorative in modern society. But if indeed people feel that it is offensive, then the whole Braves (and Indians and Redskins) franchises need to be re-branded. Getting bent out of shape over one logo doesn't move the needle at all, in my opinion.

vCash
    It's derogatory because it's depicting the entire Native American race as tribal, angry beings. It just reminds me of Little Black Sambo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast