Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,106
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    Predictably Howard's flagrant 2 and ejection is drawing a lot of attention today.

    What's surprising to me is that both Kobe and D'Antoni have thrown Howard under the bus instead of backing him up. Kobe said the foul/ejection was the right call, and D'Antoni said the team didn't lose much when Howard went out.

    Now, I know Kobe thinks of every other human being on the face of the earth as his *****. He doesn't think anyone else plays as hard as he does, or wants to win as much as he wants to win, and he hates them for that lack of will and determination.

    And I know D'Antoni is all about the offense, and about facilitating victories mostly by scoring. So if Dwight isn't doing whatever D'Antoni thinks he should be doing, then D'Antoni is going to be unhappy as well.

    But I think it's pretty easy to make a fairly compelling case for Howard being angry and frustrated, and on that basis I think selling him out to the public instead of backing him up as a teammate is actually a very selfish move on both Kobe's part and D'Antoni's part. My reasoning:

    1) Howard's back is still not right. Maybe it never will be, but he had major back surgery, he came back early, and he's producing. Maybe not the way people want him to, but he's out there. I don't think anyone thinks he's fully healthy, and in ways that can significantly affect his ability to play.

    2) Howard is expected to do all the dirty work on defense and to be the stopper for anybody who screws up a rotation on the perimeter. It's the same job people blame Pau for: not stopping someone at the rim when somebody else got burned in the first place. So he's the last line of defense, which often makes it seems as if he's not playing effective defense even if somebody else screwed up.

    3) Howard isn't the focus of the offense at all. If anything he's more of a distraction/decoy than a real offensive option. Whether that's warranted or not, it's certainly not what he's been used to, or what he expects to be in a year or two when most of the current Lakers are retired. He's not getting touches, and any player of his caliber would be frustrated by that.

    4) While he's not getting touches Howard has to co-exist on a team with Kobe -- a player who is allowed to give himself the green light any time he wants. Howard needs help to get touches; Kobe can jack up 41 shots in a game, shoot a rotten percentage, and yet everyone blames the refs instead of holding Kobe accountable. If you're a dominant player/scorer, that kind of inequity is going to drive you nuts. (So nuts that Shaq left and went to Miami just to get away from the guy.)

    5) I said in the game thread last night -- only minutes before Howard wiped out Faried -- that Howard needed to take someone down. Players have been driving on the Lakers with impunity because nobody on the perimeter seems to be able to stop anyone from attacking the rim. On top of that, Howard himself is getting hammered all the time, but often doesn't get the foul himself -- something that Shaq had to deal with most of his career. If the refs won't call a fair game just because you're big, you have to remind the refs of the alternative, and Howard did exactly that. He may have been frustrated, his back may have been hurting, but he needed to remind people that he should be afforded the same respect as smaller players when it comes to drawing fouls. And I think he did that.

    I don't know how this plays out going forward, but the way the team reacted is an extremely bad sign. Everybody's suddenly gone right back to playing the same role they've always played, and none of that helps the team. Howard is laughing one minute and sullen the next. Kobe is aloof and hostile and dismissive. D'Antoni is either being sarcastic or blunt, and now seems to be siding with Kobe against Howard.

    Bottom line for me: you do NOT sell your teammate out if they do something dumb. Whether you agree with it or not, you don't tell the press that the other player deserved what they got or were of no use to you anyway so it didn't matter if they fouled out. The fact that the star player and coach both did that when this is the guy that management has hitched their future to is a big, big problem going forward, and will probably only become more so if Howard decides well in advance of the end of the season that he doesn't want to be Kobe's ***** for the next year or two.
    Jesus Christ. Don't you have anything better to do? Get a life.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Daly City
    Posts
    1,368
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    I agree with KB-Pau that Howard shouldn't be suspended for more games going forward.

    I'll even go farther and say there's a chance that the call might be reduced to a Flagrant 1, in large part because Faried added a pretty good flop after he felt the contact.

    If the foul was reduced, that would also have the ancillary effect of making Kobe look like an idiot for proclaiming that the foul was a good call, which is yet another reason you don't sell your teammates down the river.
    I have to agree with you here. Because if you really look at the play, It looks more like howard was just trying to put his hand in faried face and lost his balance more than he was trying to hurt the dude. Besides the refs calls last night were HORRIBLE to say the least. Every time denver got a fingernail on them they blew the whistle. The lakers were getting fouled like everytime we went to the paint and the refs acted like they didnt see anything

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,093
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    Of course, it's GailGoodrich making this thread, what a surprise
    You're right. One single play rips open every scab on the team in full view of the press, and I make a thread about it.

    But enough focus on real problems. Let's talk about trading Pau and Blake.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,093
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by handle View Post
    Jesus Christ. Don't you have anything better to do? Get a life.
    Good point.

    Yes, obviously there are better things to do with my life.

    Thank you for reminding me.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Parade Down Figueroa
    Posts
    16,785
    vCash
    1500
    Hey guys, let's lay off each other a bit, please?

    Or do I have to call Mr_Jones here to give all of you some good sucky sucky time?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    127
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    Good point.

    Yes, obviously there are better things to do with my life.

    Thank you for reminding me.
    Don't even pay attention to them. The thread was insightful and a good read. Keep posting.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,632
    vCash
    1500
    I like the justification from one player to another... When Bynum, yes Baby Bum Knees, fouled Barea, it was a stupid, immature "thuggish" move... And Barea also sold it by that flop to the ground that he often does to "accent" the actual contact.... And Bynum also said that the Mavericks had been setting dirty picks on him the entire game and told the refs...

    The refs basically told him to suck it up and play through it, ala Derek Fisher to Luis Scola... So Bynum took matters into his own hands and fouled the **** out of one of the main culprits, Barea and all hell breaks loose...

    But when our savior D12 does it, let's take a look and see why he would do such a terrible act of retaliation???!!! Howard is suppose to be a superb defender so he could have easily just challenged Faried's shot attempt but he opts to foul the **** out of him??? Ok....

    Faried is not as small as Barea, but he's a 2nd year player who plays the game the right way and got a hard, hard, hard foul for no reason except playing with intensity...
    It's not anybody's fault but Dwight's... Period.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,956
    vCash
    1500
    Maybe Kobe is trying to win the refs back, because they haven't been on our side lately

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,500
    vCash
    1500
    If Howard gets suspended or fined, so should Wade for kicking Sessions in the balls

    LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,632
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post
    If Howard gets suspended or fined, so should Wade for kicking Sessions in the balls
    Not achance for Wade.... Wade is one of the DIRTIEST players in the game that constantly gets away with it...

    The hard foul on Rondo in the playoffs that injured his elbow, the blatant foul on Kobe that broke his nose, the blatant push out of bounds on Teague (I think it was him) that the refs just so happen to overlook...

    Wade gets away with a lot of ****...

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,820
    vCash
    1500
    I personally didn't think Dwight's foul was worthy of an ejection. The refs overreacted to the crowd and the way Faried landed. Now, was it a hard foul; yes I believe so. However, Dwight should have been given a flagrant 1 and been allowed to play the game.

    As far as Kobe and D'antoni not having his back, well that is a different story.....When I heard Kobe's comment, I was dissapointed because you are supposed to stick up for your teammate unless it was something like that play Bynum made on Barea in the playoffs (even in that situation a guy like Kobe should have said, no comment). I just don't like the lack of unity on this team at all. They don't all seem to enjoy playing with one another and this union seems forced, which is dissapointing as a fan.

    As for D'antoni, I am disgusted with his coaching up to this point as he doesn't play inside/out and feature our bigs enough. His brand of basketball will not translate into a championship or make this team into a true contender..... The game is won on the inside and won on the defensive end. Those are two important things that he doesn't seem to concern himself with.

    As for him not supporting Howard, I think he took the high road and stated that he didn't see the play fully. Nothing to bad in that regard.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

    Bring Back the Zen Master.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,956
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah if he gets a suspension than JR Smith needs to get one as does Wade for yesterday's incidents.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    La Mirada, CA
    Posts
    1,286
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by handle View Post
    Jesus Christ. Don't you have anything better to do? Get a life.
    Hahahaha!!! Most of the post in this thread are his long paragraphs

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,820
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MintBerryCrunch View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the offense or who is getting touches. It's all defense honestly.
    Yeah most of the team's issues are on the defensive side of the ball. The team doesn't help one another out and defense isn't stressed enough. Also, the team lacks good perimeter defenders, which really hurts in terms of guard penetration and getting our bigs either out of position or in early foul trouble.

    *I would love for this team to get someone like Trevor Ariza again on the wing to help Metta defensively. He would solve a lot of our defensive issues on the perimeter.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

    Bring Back the Zen Master.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the clouds
    Posts
    6,275
    vCash
    1500
    I stopped reading this thread after like the second paragraph where you say Kobe thinks no one plays as hard as he does, or works as hard, etc.

    That's because Kobe is the hardest worker in the NBA and I really don't think anyone else wants to win as badly as he does. Think about it. This guy is an animal, and at age 34 he's leading the league in scoring and has been the most efficient he's been in all of 17 years in the NBA.
    I am in no way shape or form saying that Dwight or anyone else on the Lakers doesn't play hard, I can see they do most of the time. But they just don't have the same drive as Kobe does, and you can't even argue it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •