Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

WWE: Attidue Era: Steve Austin vs John Cena

WWE.com has published the second part of their interview with WWE Hall of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin about WWE '13. During the interview, Austin was asked how John Cena would have fared in The Attitude Era.

"Yeah, had he been placed in it, and been dealt with accordingly, the John Cena you see now — the face of the franchise, the leader of the pack? Not so much," Austin admitted. "But I guarantee if you'd have gotten him face to face with 'Stone Cold' in an interview, and you know John cuts a good interview himself, if I slapped the ******* out of that son of a b****, I think we're off and running to make a lot of money.

"All he needs is to be poked and prodded in the right way. I think John Cena has a hell of a lot of fire and he needs to be in the ring with the right opponent, or the right cat, to bring that out. So in the current environment, you really don't see that in him. Place [Cena] back 10 years in the ring with 'Stone Cold'? You'd have rung the cash register, big time."
    Personally, I think a heel rapping Cena would have been over big time and succeeded in the attitude era. I know a lot of people don't like his rap gimmick, but thuganomics cena was super over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Agreed. He could have been a mouthpiece for The Nation after Rock left. Attitude Era was built on stables and heel cena would have been great in a stable too. Add cena as one of the characters being made fun of in those legendary dx vs nation promos, he would have more respect from fans when he made his face turn into super face that everyone hates now....like the rock.

Thing that cracks me up about cena is people talking about 5 moves of doom, what was the rock?

vCash
    He would have worked in that era but noway he would be a main eventer. Way to many guys ahead of him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie View Post
    Agreed. He could have been a mouthpiece for The Nation after Rock left. Attitude Era was built on stables and heel cena would have been great in a stable too. Add cena as one of the characters being made fun of in those legendary dx vs nation promos, he would have more respect from fans when he made his face turn into super face that everyone hates now....like the rock.

Thing that cracks me up about cena is people talking about 5 moves of doom, what was the rock?
    Difference is cena is a terrible wrestler. The rock was pretty solid. Rock also sells moves much better.

vCash
    Cena would be given a lot more freedom back then both in saying whatever he wanted and not having to follow a script so thoroughly. It would have been interesting to see that happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan54 View Post
    Difference is cena is a terrible wrestler. The rock was pretty solid. Rock also sells moves much better.
    Cena is definitely stiff and unathletic, by stiff I mean the way he moves not the traditional use of stiff in the wrestling world.

I think he sells just fine, I don't know where that comes from.

The point is, Rock did the same thing every time in the ring. They all do! RVD, Jeff Hardy, they all have their in ring routine, some just look better doing it. You know exactly what y2j is going to do in his matches, scsa, hhh, hbk, taker.

Cena has the look, can work the mic and would have had a ton of heat from those crowds. He would have gotten a huge pop too because as a face they would have paired him with someone like foley for a bit, like they did with every top star.

Put him back then and vince still falls in love and grooms him to be the top guy.

The rock is not a better wrestler, he just goes through his routine a bit smoother. He was a DL his whole life, which is where you put athletic bigs on a football field as opposed to cena who was an OL at a much lower level. Thats where big, less athletic people play. You're comparing a division one athlete to a d3 athlete of course there will be a difference. Rock was a HS wrestler, Cena was not, and still you dont see any of that background or skill in the rocks 5 moves of doom.
    Last edited by goalie; 12-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.

vCash
    But by being good at selling you can make the same move someone always performs look so much better. The stunner being one example. When someone really sold it, it made the move look amazing.

Like, Yankeefan said, Rock was better in the ring. He was also a better overall athlete, though Cena is stronger. Everyone talks about his stunner sells, but look up the vid of Rock selling Rhino's gore, its beautiful. Also Rock lost more frequently than Cena.
    Last edited by Knowledge; 12-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Cena is definitely stiff and unathletic, by stiff I mean the way he moves not the traditional use of stiff in the wrestling world.

I think he sells just fine, I don't know where that comes from.

The point is, Rock did the same thing every time in the ring. They all do! RVD, Jeff Hardy, they all have their in ring routine, some just look better doing it. You know exactly what y2j is going to do in his matches, scsa, hhh, hbk, taker.

Cena has the look, can work the mic and would have had a ton of heat from those crowds. He would have gotten a huge pop too because as a face they would have paired him with someone like foley for a bit, like they did with every top star.

Put him back then and vince still falls in love and grooms him to be the top guy.

The rock is not a better wrestler, he just goes through his routine a bit smoother. He was a DL his whole life, which is where you put athletic bigs on a football field as opposed to cena who was an OL at a much lower level. Thats where big, less athletic people play. You're comparing a division one athlete to a d3 athlete of course there will be a difference. Rock was a HS wrestler, Cena was not, and still you dont see any of that background or skill in the rocks 5 moves of doom.
    Dude, Cena has some of the sloppiest sells at times. Its hard to watch. He has come up big in some matches, but he has plenty of sloppy matches too.

You don't have to be a good technical wrestler to be a good wrestler (see SCSA after his neck injury). I would put Rock in that same category, as a guy who wasn't a great technical wrestler, but was a good wrestler. He sold well, took bumps, and lets guys work stiff on him.

We established that Rock was a better wrestler than Cena. We established that Rock was a better Seller, a better athlete, and that he was more prone to losing (and losing cleanly too). We also know both are good on the mic. Rock also went heel a fair amount of time in his career too.

Aren't those differences enough to see why fans react to both so differently?
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    5 moves of doom is 5 moves of doom. Rock is a better actor than Cena and is more athletic. Those are the only differences. Loses cleanly more often is an overexaggeration. Who are Rocks clean loses against? Another HOFer?

I'm not a cena fan, because i think he's cheesy and a horrible actor, which is all these guys are doing by the way. But to think there is this huge difference between what they give cena or how they treat him and how they've handled anyone else in his position is just crazy.

Its vince and creative that decide who gets over, only when they reach a certain point of stardom do they get input. People act like cena forced his way to the top, he got there the same way they all do.

vCash
    This is the best way i can describe what i am trying to say in defending cena...john cena is hulk hogan, period. And punk is a version of scsa. The rock is the rock because they cant find another guy to do the combo of what he was or did. None of that has anything to do with their "wrestling" ability and if this biz did, angle would have been champ for a decade straight.
    Last edited by goalie; 12-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.

vCash
    They do have the win/loss stats available on different websites. Rock won around 57% percent of the time for wwf and 60% of the time in wwe. Cena is a around 66% for his win percentage.

Their records for ppvs/non ppvs are as follows: Rock won 58% of his none ppv matches and 52% of his ppv matches (39-34 with 2 draws). Cena won 59% of his none ppv matches and 67% of his ppv matches (66-42 with 3 draws). Rock clearly loses more often.

I regularly defend cena on here, not as a fan, but just as a observer. Some of his problems with "adult" fans come from the way the wwe has handled him over the last 7 years and some of his problems are just the IWC being the IWC (hating on babyfaces). Cena and Rock, like a lot of faces have certain things in common (wwe limited move set), but they also have some pretty distinguishable differences.
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Cena was better when he was younger, not just the gimmick by in the ring as well, he use to move a lot better and his matches weren't so predictable.

vCash
    Cena is a bad seller and in ring wrestler. Just look when lesnar set cena up for the f-5 he just no sold the hell out of it. The rock and almost every top guy is better than cena in the ring. And pretty much every wrestler has a routine. But Chris Jericho is far from being a 5 moves if doom guy.

vCash
    So have we finally found a John cena fanboy?

vCash
    On the subject of "selling" when punk hit rock with that clothesline it look like rock got hit by a sniper

I thought it was funny and i LOLd especially considering it was a pretty weak clothsline by punk

The Biggest Event Of the PSD Calendar Is Here!!!
    POSTERMANIA 4!!! Come Challenge a fellow PSD Friend
    Or Rival to a brawl and see Who the better poster is!!!!!
    Need More Details? Click Here or PM me! -Owner Riv

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast