Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jammastershake View Post
    lol here come the saber nerds to sh1t all over the greats like joe carter, nolan ryan and don mattingly.

brilliant.
    Joe Carter is **** compared to elite or HOF type players.

Mattingly was very good, but his carer was too short.

Ryan was a HOF no doubt, but has no claim to #1 of all time. He's buried by the truly great.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

2. 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM
    Reason
    response to deleted post

vCash
    Maybe in another 20 years, Ben Zobrist will be looked upon as a baseball god.

vCash
    I'd throw Will Clark in the mix. Didn't even make it past the first ballot, when guys like Don Mattingly and Keith Hernandez did.

vCash
    Olerud would get a lot more love today if he started his career today.

vCash
    For sure, I don't think Olerud ever got close to 30 hrs and probably only had a 100 Rbis a couple times. He could hit, get on base, and racked up the doubles. No slouch in the field either. I'll never forgt that '93 season.

vCash
    Olerud had one of the sweetest, pure swings I've ever seen. If I were to teach someone how to swing, that's who I'd tell them to watch. Definitely one of the most under-rated Jays in history. Joe carter is on the opposite side, he was and still is one of the most over-rated Jays in history and players in history. Carter did hit the home run that won the team the world series so I'll always love the guy for that but his career OBP of .306 should tell you something. He was in the .800-.850 OPS range on world series teams that were absolutely stacked and that's all he could hack. Keep in mind, he was getting MVP votes in those days too. Imagine a guy putting up a .808 OPS and 2.2 WAR getting votes today? Carter played 16 years(2189 GP) and Olerud played 17 years (2234 GP). The difference?

Olerud-53.7 WAR
    Carter-15.6 WAR

Carter got HOF votes. Astonishing. As an example, In 9 seasons Nick Swisher has put up a 17.9 WAR. For the love of god, people need to put the RBI "debate" to rest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Classic choice. "Joe Carter is a great RBI man."

Jim Rice, Nolan Ryan, Andre Dawson and a host of others would look worse.

Joe Morgan, Ricky H., Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Larry Walker, Alan Trammell, Sweet Lou, Reggie Smith, Bobby Bonds, Jim Wynn, and a pile more would look better.
    Yeah, 7 no no's and over 5,000 k's don't translate to today.

Edit: I'll also add that I'm 33 and been watching baseball longer than I can remember, and never once have I ever heard anyone claim that Nolan Ryan was the best pitcher ever, or even top 5.
    Last edited by mike_noodles; 12-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Nobody is saying that Nolan wouldn't be good now, just that he isn't one of the best pitchers of all time. He's clearly a HoF pitcher.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Olerud was the first guy who came to mind for gains, I loved watching him play and like halladay said his swing was so sweet and pure.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    The AL MVP voters from this year are gonna look really dumb, they already do to me.

vCash

Edit: I'll also add that I'm 33 and been watching baseball longer than I can remember, and never once have I ever heard anyone claim that Nolan Ryan was the best pitcher ever, or even top 5.
    Big deal? what about the other 800 games he pitched? On average he was a meh #2 SP. Never won a Cy or an MVP. His winning % was nothing special compared to his teams, meaning he was close to average. He's a HOF due to longevity, his rate stats outside of H/9, and K/9 are nothing special.

5k K's what about his 2700 something walks?

I'm 55 and have heard it dozens and dozens of times - in PSD alone - do a search.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash

maybe it's regional

i'm also from the baseball hotbed of Toronto hehe, am also 33, and also never really heard those claims growing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Randy Johnson will go down as the greatest pitcher of all time in my book. (Not accused of PEDs)

WAR may look at Maddux in favor but it's still really close. Johnson will go down as the greatest in my book.
    Obviously, I am biased living in Phoenix and being a Dbacks homer. But Johnson for those first 5-6 years with the Dbacks was completely insane. I am 27 now, but when I was a kid during that time period, I completely took him for granted. I knew he was amazing, but I didnt really take the time to consider I may have been watching the best pitcher ever.

I love Maddux and Pedro as well. But Johnson, he was just so dominate and so over powering. Imagin, if he could of got his command issues fixed earlier in his career. Because he really came in and started to dominate later in his career, when you compare it to a lot of the other greats.

vCash
    Ruben Sierra was absolute dog **** in the majors the day he turned 27 and played until he was 40. He has to be up there with the biggest losers. Dante Bichette is up there too.

Crazy stat of the day: Dante Bichette's .379 wOBA/.895 OPS 1999 season yielded a 100 wRC+ and 102 OPS+. That is insane.

vCash
    In other news, the 2008 NL MVP voting...oh god.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast