Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jose Calderon?

vCash
    Calderon has 5 good games and now people are saying keep Calderon and trade Lowry no wonder players don't wanna stay with this team. Just look at least season and how many games Calderon sucked and how many good games he had and do the math Calderon does more bad than good for this team sad that people cant see that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    People have only been saying "Jose is a great PG" over the last 13 days. Before that, it was more like "Calderon is...meh". All of a sudden, we win 5 games in a row against crappy teams, and Jose plays great in those 5 games. Now all of a sudden he's the best player in our team - based on a sample size of 5 games against crappy teams. Then they lost to the Spurs last night.
    Raptors did not lose to the Spurs because of Calderon. (7/10/4) in 27mins

Raptors lost to the Spurs because a great coach forced a team filled with players who can't create their own space to play a perimeter oriented game. (18 points in the paint on 78 shots).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    calderon and bargs need to be packaged and sent out!!! they have had a long time to prove them selves on this team and lead us no where.
    IMO the on going problem over the years is the 2 are a poor defensive pairing that continue to play together. If the team chooses Calderon is best for team chemistry, Bargnani either has to come off the bench or get traded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    IMO the on going problem over the years is the 2 are a poor defensive pairing that continue to play together. If the team chooses Calderon is best for team chemistry, Bargnani either has to come off the bench or get traded.
    calderon has been consistently inconsistent since being here. he has had a long tenure and has been given the nod over ford, jack, and now lowry. im sorry but im still not convinced that calderon is better then jack let alone lowry.

if derozan stays we need a better defender playing along side him in the back court. bargs, derozan and calderon can not play on the same unit as they are all liabilities on D.

in a rebuild i expect core players to be replaced. calderon didnt work out in the bosh era, he isnt going to lead this team to any success either. its time to move on and try something new.

8 seasons is long enough to know what your getting out of a player and because of that im not convinced that calderon will keep up this play consistently.

wouldnt he already have value if he was consistently good through out his career ? why now after 8 seasons he is "raising" his value in a contract year? sell high while we have the chance is my suggestion.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 12-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Raptors did not lose to the Spurs because of Calderon. (7/10/4) in 27mins

Raptors lost to the Spurs because a great coach forced a team filled with players who can't create their own space to play a perimeter oriented game. (18 points in the paint on 78 shots).
    I'm not saying Calderon is the reason we lost to the Spurs. I'm saying that he's good, but not amazing like a lot of people have been saying over the past 2 weeks. And i'm also saying he will only be as good as he is for a few more years.

If you're aiming for mediocrity for years to come, then sure, resign Calderon (knowing BC and his tendency to sign mediocre players to insane deals) and we will have a point guard who will average around 10 ppg and 8 apg for maybe 2 more years, then decline steadily after that.

vCash
    calderon has been consistently inconsistent since being here. he has had a long tenure and has been given the nod over ford, jack, and now lowry. im sorry but im still not convinced that calderon is better then jack let alone lowry.

if derozan stays we need a better defender playing along side him in the back court. bargs, derozan and calderon can not play on the same unit as they are all liabilities on D.

like i said after 8 seasons its time for a change. in a rebuild i expect core players to be relplaced. calderon didnt work out in the bosh era, he isnt going to lead this team to any success either. its time to move on and try something new.

8 seasons is long enough to know what your getting out of a player and because of that im not convinced that calderon will keep up this play consistently.
    Calderon's increased production is due to Casey designing this years offense around his PG's play (Lowry).

Calderon though not the better talent, is running/involving the rest of the team better than Lowry.

Individual talent, Lowry > Calderon
    Decision making, Calderon > Lowry

People keep pointing the finger at Bargnani but in all his years (including a tank season), Raptors never started 4-19.

vCash
    ^ Let me just also add that Calderon is one of my favourite all-time Raptors (in terms of character) and I sincerely hope he gets traded to a contending team and wins a championship. It's time to move on.

vCash
    I'm not saying Calderon is the reason we lost to the Spurs. I'm saying that he's good, but not amazing like a lot of people have been saying over the past 2 weeks. And i'm also saying he will only be as good as he is for a few more years.
    If you're aiming for mediocrity for years to come, then sure, resign Calderon (knowing BC and his tendency to sign mediocre players to insane deals) and we will have a point guard who will average around 10 ppg and 8 apg for maybe 2 more years, then decline steadily after that.
    i agree... only i dont ever remember calderon giving steady performances for 2-3 years straight. he always has streatches where he is good. usuallly when he has stiff compitition for a starting job.

when we chose him over that compitition and he gets the keys he goes back to being very average...

10 and 8 sounds about right and you can throw in horrible D on top of that.

lowry gives us 16, 6 and 6 with good D and we havent given him a real chance yet at all. new team mates, new system takes time to adjust. yet for some reason our fans are oblivious to that.

vCash
    Calderon's increased production is due to Casey designing this years offense around his PG's play (Lowry).

Calderon though not the better talent, is running/involving the rest of the team better than Lowry.

Individual talent, Lowry > Calderon
    Decision making, Calderon > Lowry

People keep pointing the finger at Bargnani but in all his years (including a tank season), Raptors never started 4-19.
    and your using lowrys 15 games as your sample size ? thats amazing. I wonder how calderon would be in his first 15 games as a starter with new team mates and a new system. im sure he would flourish in that situation.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 12-27-2012 at 03:18 PM.

vCash
    ^ Let me just also add that Calderon is one of my favourite all-time Raptors (in terms of character) and I sincerely hope he gets traded to a contending team and wins a championship. It's time to move on.
    mine too. but this is a business and his value will never be as high as it is now. we should def sell high right now while we have the chance.

vCash

I'm not the one itching to trade what little talent/chemistry this team has because of preference. I'll be on board to trade anyone on roster if it makes the team better.

Fact is better talent or not, the team is playing like a team with Calderon. None can currently deny this.

Hopefully Lowry comes back & changes this perception.

vCash
    do ppl realize that lowry has only played 15 games in a raps uni ? half of them being played through injuries ?

vCash
    I'm not the one itching to trade what little talent/chemistry this team has because of preference. I'll be on board to trade anyone on roster if it makes the team better.

Fact is better talent or not, the team is playing like a team with Calderon. None can currently deny this.

Hopefully Lowry comes back & changes this perception.
    beating bad teams and losing to good ones is nothing to be proud of. infact its decieving. making us think the team is actually better then it is.

those teams could easily beat us when we face off next. its not like calderon makes us better then any of them. maybe if he played this way over the span of time he has been here i would have more confidence in him. streatches of good play happen for almost every decent player in the league.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 12-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.

vCash
    and your using lowrys 20 games as your sample size ? thats amazing. I wonder how calderon would be in his first 20 games as a starter with new team mates and a new system. im sure he would flourish in that situation.
    You post is as if I closed the book on Lowry.

My sample size may be small but It doesn't prevent noticing certain traits that could prolong over time. One thing I can say definitely is that Calderon would not come down & jack deep 3's early in a shot clock, his decision making IMO is currently far better.

Easier to mesh & involve new team-mates when your an unselfish player, which Calderon is. Lowry is more selfish which would/does take more time to acclimate especially considering he has the keys to a free flowing offense.

vCash
    beating bad teams and losing to good ones is nothing to be proud of. infact its decieving. making us think the team is actually better then it is.

those teams could easily beat us when we face off next. its not like calderon makes us better then any of them. maybe if he played this way over the span of time he has been here i would have more confidence in him. streatches of good play happen for almost every decent player in the league.
    Did you not point to Bargnani as being the reason in a next thread as to why the Raptors were on this current win streak.

True or false,

Lowry has also played lesser competition & come up short.

The team has found some resemblance of chemistry under Calderon.

Bargnani has played poorly to start the year

Amir closing out games has been a defensive improvement over a 20 yo centre.

Anderson has come back & given production out of the SF spot

Casey slowed the pace down, apposed to increasing it for Lowry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast