Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    I have a couple of questions.

What does blocking short guys prove when he'll be matched up against 7 footers in the NBA?

How many of those offensive rebounds were his own damn missed shots?
    Good questions.

1) Good news and bad news. As I stated above, Melo needs to play lower when defending man to man. A number of his blocks come against the player he is defending after having been beaten by that defender. Astonishing recovery quickness but not something a coach would like to see on a regular basis. A number of his shots also come from help defending and those can really be something to behold. And if you are old enough to remember Patrick Ewing at Georgetown, Melo sends a message now again. He went up to 12+ feet to block one last night that fits in this category. Not sure the message part was intentional, but it was delivered anyway.

2) Very few actually. Once again, as stated above, someone is drilling him on getting back behind the ball in transition defense. There are times he "shoots" (using that term loosely) and immediately after retreats down the court. Last night this happened to an extent I wondered if it wasn't negatively impacting his "shot." His shot selection is almost exclusively baby hooks or running "hooks" that really are not conducive to following your own shot for offesive rebounds. He rarely shoots facing the basket in live game action.

Not sure who is tasked with his development, but someone is doing a helluva bang up job with his kid. Accelerated learning might be an understatement. It's just small things right now, things we take for granted that should already be part of his game. But the improvement is tangible and even dramatic within that spectrum. Long way to go, but I am impressed and encouraged. Just needs to keep developing at this pace.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 12-27-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    1. pretty sure less than 10% of the NBA is 7+ feet.

2. doesn't matter. better to rebound your own ball than miss and give up possession
    If you'd like to mince words be my guest. There are also plenty of 6'11" and 6'10" guys who's shot Melo couldn't block.

I like that he rebounds. I don't like it if he is missing so close to the rim that he CAN get his own miss.

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Good questions.

1) Good news and bad news. As I stated above, Melo needs to play lower when defending man to man. A number of his blocks come against the player he is defending after having been beaten by that defender. Astonishing recovery quickness but not something a coach would like to see on a regular basis. A number of his shots also come from help defending and those can really be something to behold. And if you are old enough to remember Patrick Ewing at Georgetown, Melo sends a message now again. He went up to 12+ feet to block one last night that fits in this category. Not sure the message part was intentional, but it was delivered anyway.

2) Very few actually. Once again, as stated above, someone is drilling him on getting back behind the ball in transition defense. There are times he "shoots" (using that term loosely) and immediately after retreats down the court. Last night this happened to an extent I wondered if it wasn't negatively impacting his "shot." His shot selection is almost exclusively baby hooks or running "hooks" that really are not conducive to following your own shot for offesive rebounds. He rarely shoots facing the basket in live game action.

Not sure who is tasked with his development, but someone is doing a helluva bang up job with his kid. Accelerated learning might be an understatement. It's just small things right now, things we take for granted that should already be part of his game. But the improvement is tangible and even dramatic within that spectrum. Long way to go, but I am impressed and encouraged. Just needs to keep developing at this pace.
    I have said from the start that he can develop like Perk did. Shed some weight, gain some experience, he can be a good player, I'm not hatin'. You follow him much closer than I do so my questions were asked in earnest(goes to camp). It just seems like he's getting mighty popular for a really green rookie and people are getting a bit too hyped up about him.

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY

vCash
    I'm not hyped up about him. I've simply pointed out that I feel using him in roster emergencies would be better than filling our last roster spot with another unproven, unknown, without NBA experience. I think his numbers have shown that he's not going to be an immediate NBA stud, but they should tell us that he can handle 4-6 NBA minutes per game in emergencies.

Block a shot, foul someone hard, and sit back down. That's all we need at this point, and most likely all Varnado can give us either.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    I have said from the start that he can develop like Perk did. Shed some weight, gain some experience, he can be a good player, I'm not hatin'. You follow him much closer than I do so my questions were asked in earnest(goes to camp). It just seems like he's getting mighty popular for a really green rookie and people are getting a bit too hyped up about him.
    I'm trying to temper my excitement and present a realistic portrayal of where Melo is at in his development. The comparison to Perk is appropriate in many regards and if it plays out as well as that did the C's will have made a sound decision in drafting him. Projecting when he will be ready is difficult. The improvement in fundamentals is encouraging but not much more than that right now.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 12-27-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    I'd leave him in Maine until the All-star break at least

He has good instincts right now, switching, blocking shots that stay in bounds, cutting to the basket when he's open. You can't teach that kind of stuff

BUT, his decision making is pretty poor still. He'd be making McGee type highlights every night

vCash
    Fab Melo
    Fab Melo @Fabpmelo 4 minutes ago

People in south Dakota are so nice.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/tag/bos...#ixzz2GJXVXCtV

No Fab, people in South Dakota don't see 7ft Brazilians that often...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    I checked out his stats and I like to see that his last handfull of game we was playing 30+ minutes. It's nice to see him getting solid minutes and throwing together some good games.

vCash
    Missed Mondays game with a "slight" concussion?

vCash
    As I've always said -- If he could help right now, he would be here.

Also:
    Rivers more or less shot down the idea of calling up Fab Melo from the D-League, Forsberg tweets. “I haven’t talked to anyone that thinks he’s ready to come up yet," said the coach.
    Pretty telling, coming from Doc. No one thinks he's ready.

vCash
    I'd would like to know who told Doc and Ainge that Varnado was ready?

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    I'd would like to know who told Doc and Ainge that Varnado was ready?
    Probably common sense.

Melo is a player that needs to play and learn. He isn't going to do that by being buried on the bench in Boston.

Varando is just insurance. He's not going to get anything from rotting in the d-league playing against scrubs like Melo will.

If we need one or the other as injury/foul/minute insurance, I'd rather have Varnado because you're not going to hurt his development by having him sit on the bench.

vCash
    We're last in blocked shots and rebounding. The defensive rotations are so bad that average guards embarrass us on a nightly basis. It doesn't really matter at this point whether Melo is ready or not, the fact is it's nearly a statistical impossibility for him to be any worse than Collins

+ speed/athletecism
    + shot blocking
    + dunking
    - experience
    - bb. iq

Net gain. Melo should start
    Last edited by xk4; 01-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, better start him based on d-league stat lines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xk4 View Post
    We're last in blocked shots and rebounding. The defensive rotations are so bad that average guards embarrass us on a nightly basis. It doesn't really matter at this point whether Melo is ready or not, the fact is it's nearly a statistical impossibility for him to be any worse than Collins

+ speed/athletecism
    + shot blocking
    + dunking
    - experience
    - bb. iq

Net gain. Melo should start
    All legitimate points up to the bolded part. That's just pure hyperbole, I hope. If so, in the classical definition, then well-played.

Melo does need to see a few minutes of NBA game time now and again throughout the course of the season, but his home should be in Maine for the most part.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast