Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Fab Melo tonight: 32/9/9blks

Fab Melo finishes with 32 points (12-of-21), 9 rebounds (6 offensive) and 9 blocks for Maine against Idaho.

Geez big fella. Do the damn thing

vCash
    2 great games in a row!

vCash
    The guy is showing effort
    P(NBA)S(NBA)D. Yeah we sometimes talk about other sports.

vCash
    I'm happy for the big guy but damn 2 threads for him already...??? Where were the threads when Rondo had 29pts-18reb-13ast in the 10' playoffs against Cle...??? Or...

10pts-10reb-24ast against NY in 11'...??? Or...

12pts-10reb-23ast against SA in 11'...??? Or...

15pts-11reb-20ast in the 11' playoffs against NY...??? Or...

18pts-17reb-20ast in 12' against NY...???

Rondo has 24 career triple doubles... Durant recorded his 1st this season...

Hate to be harsh but maybe these threads should be combined into one...???
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    I'm happy for the big guy but damn 2 threads for him already...??? Where were the threads when Rondo had 29pts-18reb-13ast in the 10' playoffs against Cle...??? Or...

10pts-10reb-24ast against NY in 11'...??? Or...

12pts-10reb-23ast against SA in 11'...??? Or...

15pts-11reb-20ast in the 11' playoffs against NY...??? Or...

18pts-17reb-20ast in 12' against NY...???

Rondo has 24 career triple doubles... Durant recorded his 1st this season...

Hate to be harsh but maybe these threads should be combined into one...???
    Not even close to the same thing...This is about a prospect who we aren't sure about yet production wise...

We know what Rondo is capable of already.

Great to see this from Fab... He may get a call up mid season

vCash
    Good to see him showing consistency (at least 2 games worth of it). That's more important to me than racking up stats. I care more about him playing consistently well than I do him having hue spikes with great #s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Idaho is a 1-10 d league team who's tallest player is 6'7.

this is expected of him

vCash
    Still scratching my head on the Varnado signing. He's maybe not as raw as Fab, but has no NBA experience either. Bringing Fab up for emergency use and keeping that roster spot open is what should have happened.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Still scratching my head on the Varnado signing. He's maybe not as raw as Fab, but has no NBA experience either. Bringing Fab up for emergency use and keeping that roster spot open is what should have happened.
    My guess is that the Celtics made a decision to just leave Fab in the D league for a certain amount of time no matter what bc he is so raw and simply needs time to develop. I liken it to calling a triple A baseball player up too soon.

Im glad he is doing well though...but he needs to play and sitting on a bench and not playing isnt going to help him...at least that is what Ainge has decided.

I expect a late season "call up"
    El Presidente

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    I agree.

Varnado is a further along in his development than Melo, but far enough ahead to take the 15th roster spot?
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Two games where he filled the stat sheet.

You all know I was hugely in favor of drafting Melo and am still a geat fan of that pick. I am also advocating that he gets 5-8 minutes in an NBA game soon then return to Maine.

Lot's of encouraging signs - he is beginning to be a defensive force as far as protecting the rim is concerned. He prevents shots from being taken, changes others and is beginning to block shots as he was expected to do. His foul shooting last night! Seriously, the kid has the correct form on his shot. It showed through last night on his foul shots. It has not yet shown itself in live game action, but with time it will. He's not fouling himself out of minutes / game time the last few games either - a sign of maturing game IQ. He has the roll part of screening down pat - takes good angles to the rim and looks for the ball right away.

On the other hand - he seemingly forgot how to box out last night. Wasn't nearly as consistent as he had been in this regard. His live game action shooting remains deplorable. It's clear someone is working with him on developing a "baby hook" and this will be an effective weapon for him given his length, but it's in an infancy stage of development. His points are coming largely of dunks ... and at the line. He is not passing the ball as well as I expect him to, a by-product of being told to shoot the ball whenever he gets it as that is surely one of the poe's of his development.

Other thoughts - his post up technique was better in last nights game. Not polished by any means but better. He "sat" to hold position and to receive the ball. This is becoming a lost art in the today's nba and if he manages to refine this it will be a key weapon in his arsenal. Man to man or on-the-ball defense still has a long ways to go. He still stands too upright (okay in a zone - see college days at Syracuse) and needs to work at playing lower for quickness and leverage. He is also becoming more efficient in his movements.

Odd observation - someone is pounding the "get back behind the ball in transition" philosophy that the C's deploy into him. That's okay. I mean, it's fundamental although I think the C's take it to an extreme. At the same time the kid has a nose for offensive rebounds. Part of learnng his position / role as a defensive protector of the rim has seen his steal numbers drop off the charts. That's a good thing for now. He's holding his position, growing into his role of being a rim protector and 1st attacker - has had some excellent outlet passes the past couple of games, but this remains inconsistent as does most everything else about his game.

Yeah, the tallest guy on Idaho is 6'9", but Erie had size against him. The bottom line is he is starting to put up the type of numbers that are expected of a 7'0" number 1 pick playing in the D-league, but don't be fooled into thinking he is ready for extended minutes in the nba just yet. The offense remains raw and the defense still needs improvement, especially individual defending. I've stated before that this is a process - where he is next summer and next fall in camp is what the focus needs to be on. I'm encouraged.
    Last edited by Opalmerr; 12-27-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    If I had to pick one reason for Melo to stay in Maine it would be conditioning... I hope by the end of the season he's getting 30mpg... A full season in Maine should get his body and stamina closer to NBA form... I don't mind missed shots more than having to watch a guy huff and puff and wind up playing crappy D and fouling out...

I am by no means comparing Dwight Howard and Melo, but if Melo could at least have Howards motor and 50% of his conditioning I'd be happy... It's tough for any team to go against a 7ftr who plays 36mpg... If Melo could be a rebounder and shot blocker who plays good D for 36mpg I'd be ecstatic...

C's fans were happy when Perk gave 25mpg (career is 23mpg), imagine if Melo is a Perk type defender (more hops of course) and he plays 36mpg...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    No rush to call him up. Again, continue the development. Similiar situation to Bradley & Perkins....Except, Melo has less experience playing this game than both had coming in.

No rush whatsoever. Let him continue to gain confidence down in the D league and work on the fundamentals he needs to hit the NBA floor. Still extremely raw, especially with rebounding, rotations in man 2 man D, offense, etc. His time for a call up should be late in the season for practice time, late game runs, etc.

I remember Avery after his 12 steal game in the D League saying he felt confident after that. He felt he belonged, and could play with these guys. Melo needs the same thing, & looks like he's getting it early with those outrageous video game stats he's putting up.

vCash
    I have a couple of questions.

What does blocking short guys prove when he'll be matched up against 7 footers in the NBA?

How many of those offensive rebounds were his own damn missed shots?

2013-2014 BOSTON CELTICS

RONDO / PRESSEY
    BRADLEY / BAYLESS / JOHNSON
    GREEN / WALLACE / BOGANS
    BASS / HUMPHRIES / FAVERANI
    SULLINGER / OLYNYK / ANTHONY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Post View Post
    I have a couple of questions.

What does blocking short guys prove when he'll be matched up against 7 footers in the NBA?

How many of those offensive rebounds were his own damn missed shots?
    1. pretty sure less than 10% of the NBA is 7+ feet.

2. doesn't matter. better to rebound your own ball than miss and give up possession

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast