Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrett

Hybrid View

vCash

Garrett

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...-cowboys-coach

Just the highlights:

"Look at the development of young players such as Bruce Carter (on injured reserve), Dez Bryant, Tyron Smith, Morris Claiborne, Jermey Parnell and Dwayne Harris.

Look at these Cowboys compete regardless of the score. Don't forget, we're talking about a team with guys named Sterling Moore, Ernie Sims, Brian Schaefering, Michael Coe, Eric Frampton, Rob Callaway, Brady Poppinga and Charlie Peprah who have accounted for 440 snaps the past three games.

Five games into the season, those players had zero plays for the Cowboys"

"Garrett has the Cowboys pointed in the right direction because he has made systemic changes that have to do with attitude and approach"

"A team that blew five fourth-quarter leads in 2011 has blown just one this season. The Cowboys have come from behind to win five games in the fourth quarter this season."

Good article, IMO.

vCash
    I honestly feel like garrett is a great coach. He has made some mistakes, but has improved considerably imo.

i think some of you guys, might need to take a step back, and re-evaluate.

I think garrett messed up, and now, has improved, but you guys are stuck on his previous mistakes, and havent really given him a fair shake since.

Are play calling is fine, IMO. we are scoring points. And scoring points despite our crap line. i think we need to consider, garret has to work with what we got. play calls may be limited to factors we may not be aware of.

the offensive line, diff puts a hamper on play calling. Murray, maybe getting winded, or not be at 100%. that could put a hamper on play calling.

romo could be changing the play at the line.

idk.. he may call deep passes, but no one is open, so romo checks down.. who knowS? I feel like on offense, we are scoring enough points to win. on defense, we are not holding them like we should. mostly because of injuries..

i see alot diffrent team right now, then i ever saw with phillips.

this team, is alot more physically tough. mental toughness to. they dont give up. we are down 28-3, we are still in it. this team doesnt give up. theres accountability.

the team, IMO, is going in the right direction. i see progress. from sept. to now, i feel like the team has gotten better. better, despite the injuries...

idk..

i just think maybe some people need to take a step back. close there eyes, and re-evaluate.... maybe the guy that is there now, isnt the guy you thought he was, or is changed from your last evaluation of him..

just saying.

vCash
    If he goes deep in the playoffs, I would keep him... If not I would fire him an go after John Gruden. I think he has proven he could take a talented team to the Super Bowl and win.

vCash
    No^

Keep JG. Red has got us into a playoff game 2 years in a row. 3 year process. Stop changing coaches because we dont win the SB.

This team is gonna do big things when we are all healthy next year. Stability is key. I honestly thought we were a 7 win team with no shot to be alive come week 17. Here we are playing for the division with 7 of our top 14 D-men injured. That's incredible. This offense is starting to go and the defense will catch up next year. Its hard to be patient since we havent been to a NFC title game in almost 20 years but JG deserves another year for it to all come together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousbig21 View Post
    No^

Keep JG. Red has got us into a playoff game 2 years in a row. 3 year process. Stop changing coaches because we dont win the SB.

This team is gonna do big things when we are all healthy next year. Stability is key. I honestly thought we were a 7 win team with no shot to be alive come week 17. Here we are playing for the division with 7 of our top 14 D-men injured. That's incredible. This offense is starting to go and the defense will catch up next year. Its hard to be patient since we havent been to a NFC title game in almost 20 years but JG deserves another year for it to all come together.

My thing is Why Not Go After a better Coach, While to Quote Jerry Jones, ”The Window is still open!” How many seasons do we wait for him to learn on the job... ??

Sit back an think about why we are playing for a playoff spot in the last week of the season! And its due to his poor play calling and clock management!! Injuries are a part of the game and you have to learn to deal with that. Too much talent on this team!

If Jerry Jones wants to win Super Bowls, go after a proven winner now rather than later... Or else we will go through this same story every year until that Window is Closed!!!
    Last edited by gocoachmike; 12-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.

vCash
    I wanna chalk his mistakes up as "learning on the job", but his lack of exploiting other teams weakness, coupled with his bad play calling has cost us a few games. He seems to fall short in Football 101, but excels at other things. Perfect example: what's the best way to help our injury riddled defense. Ball control. Run the damn ball. It's was clearly evident that we would not be able to stop NO. How do we contain them, run the ball, control the clock and convert on 3rd. There are other expamples. But I'll stop there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaSmoke View Post
    I wanna chalk his mistakes up as "learning on the job", but his lack of exploiting other teams weakness, coupled with his bad play calling has cost us a few games. He seems to fall short in Football 101, but excels at other things. Perfect example: what's the best way to help our injury riddled defense. Ball control. Run the damn ball. It's was clearly evident that we would not be able to stop NO. How do we contain them, run the ball, control the clock and convert on 3rd. There are other expamples. But I'll stop there.
    Exactly! My thing is injuries or not we have enough talent on the field to not be playing in a elimination game in the last week of the season once again! Due to mistakes we made earlier in the season loosing close games.

I think while our window is still open, hire a more experience Coach thats proven they can win in this league!

vCash
    I have said this before, there is no improvement in him for 5 years as a play caller...thus, if they got a legit OC who would call the plays, then I would be happy for Garrett to stay...but, he does nothing to help this team win when the team is on the field...

...and, for those that say that the offense is doing ok...what? Tony Romo is doing ok...we were getting whooped by arguable the worst defense in the nfl and then Tony went into the 2-minute drill for the rest of the game (taking Garrett out of the equation)...we score 14 quick points and force overtime...otherwise, our lack of running game is astounding...11 carries for Murray in the game? he's winded???? wow, he is an nfl player who needs to play...

back to the point: get me a legit OC to do the play-calling and I am on board with keeping garrett...otherwise, JJ is just fooling himself (once again)...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I have said this before, there is no improvement in him for 5 years as a play caller...thus, if they got a legit OC who would call the plays, then I would be happy for Garrett to stay...but, he does nothing to help this team win when the team is on the field...

...and, for those that say that the offense is doing ok...what? Tony Romo is doing ok...we were getting whooped by arguable the worst defense in the nfl and then Tony went into the 2-minute drill for the rest of the game (taking Garrett out of the equation)...we score 14 quick points and force overtime...otherwise, our lack of running game is astounding...11 carries for Murray in the game? he's winded???? wow, he is an nfl player who needs to play...

back to the point: get me a legit OC to do the play-calling and I am on board with keeping garrett...otherwise, JJ is just fooling himself (once again)...
    i know everyone wants to run the ball. im sure jason wants to run the ball...

but our oline sucks donkey balls, murray did fumble at the 5. that would give me possible reservations. and murray and felix arent what you would call sturdy...

idk..

just raw stats here, in regards to jason play calling..

total offense- ranked 6th in entire nfl.
    so, to me, that says he is calling plays that is generating good yardage.
    and we rank
    12th in total points scored..

so he is calling plays that is generating points has well.....

we have a good back, and crap oline. we have a great qb, and great wr..
    and great te..

romo, austin, dez, harris, witten...

idk.. to me, that combination is better then a murray and our oline..
    it might be better for us to pass more...

we get no push up front.
    i just think it might be alot easier to find a bigger mismatch with someone covering austin, witten, dez, then to get a little push on and letting murray run...

im not saying dont run.. im all about running... but its alot diffrent coaching from the couch then coaching on the sideline.

i mean, were all john madden in our living rooms..

just my opinion.
    Last edited by rawz; 12-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post

This and there was even an article on Dallas Cowboys.com about how predictable Garrett's play calling is. I could attribute Garrett's game management and related in game mistakes to a necessary learning curve for a very new NFL head coach. Fred hit the nail in the head when it comes to evaluating his job as an OC.

Those are not bad stats Rawz, but how many of those points game from Romo or RBs/WRs making a hell of a play out of nothing? Example Murray bouncing back and running away from the run the play was designed to go or Romo scrambling and Witten or Dez making adjustments to get open for Romo? I am not a Romo supporter but I am sure his no huddle and his/WRs improvisation has lead to some yards points you are attributing to Garrett. Murray has run that damn draw play Garrett loves and been able to bounce outside or across the line get some yards. Garrett may be starting to show something as a HC but as an OC he is terrible. I was really hoping when we signed Callahan as a OL coach/OC he would be calling plays while saving JJ and Garrett's egos, however unfortunately that has proven not to be the case.

He may have a role in the improvement of the defense by making everyone want to play harder, give it their all etc., but you have to give most of the credit to Rob Ryan for getting the players ready, getting the most out of them, and putting them in positions to succeed on the field. Some of these backups deserve a lot of credit for dedicating themselves to learning the plays and putting in the work to be ready to step up as some have.

Fix the OL in the offseason, hire Norv, try to address the DL as well as S positions, hope for everyone to come back healthy, stay healthy next season and hope the team finally realizes its potential and takes off. Norv with Witten, Dez and Murray? Yeazzir lol. He did well with Gates, Jackson, and Sproles/LT. He could do very well with our players as we have Dropstin who will hopefully return closer to 100% (if we keep him) and Harris who is emerging as a consistent player. Romo is also more mobile than Rivers so with an improved OL Norv could dial up more creative/deeper plays. Only thing is how does Callahan sit with that and could JJ and Garrett swallow their egos to allow this?

vCash
    I think Garrett is a good head coach. Garrett has done a good job of building this team except hiring a good play caller. IMO that is one of the glaring weakness of this team.

vCash
    If he is to stay on as HC then I would be fine with him, but he should never call another play for the rest of his coaching career. Since our 13-3 season he has been a horrible and predictable play caller and its time to move on from there. I'm sure Norv Turner will be looking for an OC job and we all remember what he did in Dallas as the OC
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    Garrett is okay...he makes huge mistakes but he does some good as well...I'm with Blacknell...he doesn't need to call plays anymore...and I'm willing to bet that if he wasn't calling plays...he would be able to devote more attention to cutting down false starts, illegal motions and 12 man on the field penalties, etc...
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

vCash
    If there's anyway Jerry can pry Sean Payton away from the Saints, then I say we sign him if it's at all possible. Otherwise, I would give Garrett one more year. Earlier this year I was ready to can him.. but since then I have noticed some serious improvement from our team.

vCash
    Some of ya'll need to have some faith. Just have some faith so that when it all comes together, u can say......i told u so!

Silver and Blue, Proud and True

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast