Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    i ve been saying since the season ended and it was made know they were going to get under 189 at all costs by next yr i was all for drastic steps.

Personally i would be trying to workout a deal with Cano now. If he won't back off the huge 10yr deal he's looking for i would find the best deal we could get and trade him. We have Adams & Joesph that are pretty much MLB ready that could step in and probably be above average. Even though he only has 1 yr left he's still the best 2nd baseman in baseball and we would get quite a haul for him. Letting him walk for nothing more than a draft pick is one of the stupidest plans i ve ever heard.

With Grandy i would be listening to deals for him and depending how the season goes especially if were a ways outs of it at the deadline trade him. Teams that look like they could be real contenders are always looking for a power bat and tend to overpay for them at the deadline. IMO we could get a couple of real good prospects for him then similar to what the Mets got for Beltran.

i ve been saying for a long time if Hughes had a pretty good yr like he did last yr i would have looked to trade him for the best deal we could get. Again depending on how the season goes we might be able to get something pretty good for him at the deadline if he's having another good season similar to what the Marlins got for Sanchez last yr.

I'm not sure what they could get for Joba right now teams prefer to sign relief pitchers this time of yr rather than trade for them. If Joba is having a good yr i would definitely trade him at the deadline. Teams are always looking for late inning relief help at the deadline and i don't think their much of a chance he's back with us next yr. Its highly unlikely they give him a qualifying offer next yr and getting something for him is better than getting nothing.

Other than working out a deal with Cano and if not trading him before the season starts i would wait on the rest till the deadline. If it looks like were not going to make the playoffs we have some very good assets we could move at the deadline that would greatly speed up our rebuilding process. I doubt that the Yanks would become sellers at the deadline because of the ego's in the front office but i really believe it way better to get all the prospects we can if were out of the playoff picture at deadline that would really speed up the rebuilding process that were going to go through
    This is pretty much how I feel. Somehow, I don't think its going to play out well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I think if we've learned anything over the years it's that Brian Cashman is a GM that either doesn't pull the trigger when he needs to or does so dismissively with what he gives away in relation to what he's getting back. His record speaks for itself. He's only reluctantly decided to listen to offers for Granderson only because they need to keep under the 189 million mark, and as far as I can tell, we haven't heard one rumor of anyone even calling Cashman about Granderson. I get the feeling that Granderson is still kind of hands off regardless of what Cashman may have said to the media. Both Hughes and Nova should be on the block as well.

I wouldn't even give Cano a 7 year deal. No player after 30 is worth more than 6 years, tops. All these mega deals are just stupid. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the yankees gave Cano an 8-10 year deal. It's stupidity at it's finest. If they let him go for a draft pick then they are equally as stupid. I still can't believe what the Rangers lost for not wanting to trade Hamilton.

As for Joba, I can see no conceivable reason why he would want to stay with the yankees, unless he's probably so beaten down that he no longer cares about his career or money. If I'm him I'd want to be a closer or starter for some team. The very last thing I'd want is to remain a 6th or 7th inning guy making 2-3 million a year. That's just bulls-hit.
    Yeah, this is probably how it will end up, pay through the nose for Cano or lose him for nothing. Shame.

I find the lack of interesting in Granderson baffling.

I don't see the point in trading Nova. I still like him, and his value has to be low. Hughes could probably bring in a mini-haul, I would think.

Joba is almost not worth discussing. So badly mishandled, and stubornness perptuates the bad handling. Personlly, I'd let him build up his arm strength in Tampa and ask he to come back as a starter for June 1. I bet you if you sat him down, told him you want him to start, and guaranteed that, he'd sign a team freindly 3 year extension. Because after that he could cash in.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Interesting though, how Cashman SPECIFICALLY addressed this regional infighting at his 2006 contract renewal saying he wanted complete franchise decision making control, answerable only to George.

And we now know that George was on his way out anyway so who's left to shoulder the accountibility, might I ask?
    How was he going to get control with George still around? When George was 100% the Yanks he had puppet GMs. Obviously when George stopped day to day operations Cashman had to swoop in..but now Randy Levine is the GM using Brian as his puppet IMO. Brian is a company man as long as he is compensated.
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    How was he going to get control with George still around? When George was 100% the Yanks he had puppet GMs. Obviously when George stopped day to day operations Cashman had to swoop in..but now Randy Levine is the GM using Brian as his puppet IMO. Brian is a company man as long as he is compensated.
    Randy Levine is not George Steinbrenner.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    No one is:cry:

vCash

vCash
    Of course not, nobody will ever be a George Stinbrenner...

I was strictly talking about wanting control.

Cashman is the GM and Levine needs to focus on just the business side and leave player personnel to Brian. Levine was one of the reasons for the friction within the Yanks as he was always backstabbing Torre and Cashman.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 01-02-2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Why was the torch never passed from Jeter to Cano?

Jeter got his big deal for $180 million for 10 years and he never could do what Cano has done with the bat and glove?

Why can't Cano get his day in the sun?
    I don't disagree that Cano deserves his day in the sun and should be resigned. My point is their is no way in the world i give him the 10yr 200m + that he is looking for. How many 7+ plus yr deal that have ever been signed turned out well for the team or even looked ok at the end? less than 5 that i can think of.

The biggest reason Jeters 10 yr deal and Arods 1st 10 yr deal turned out well is that they signed them when Jeter was 25-26 at the time and Arod was 24-25. Thats a huge difference than giving a 31 yr old Cano a 10 yr deal. Very few middle infielder age well and continue to put up career norm numbers after their mid 30's. As good as he is i would be very hesitant to give him for than 5-6 yrs. I highly doubt he would accept that kind of deal and it makes way more sense baseball wise to trade him for the big prospect haul we would get rather than lose him for a sandwich pick or being locked into an Arod, Mauer, Zito, ect that we horribly regret later.

Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel. Somehow, I don't think its going to play out well though.

Yeah, this is probably how it will end up, pay through the nose for Cano or lose him for nothing. Shame.

I find the lack of interesting in Granderson baffling.

I don't see the point in trading Nova. I still like him, and his value has to be low. Hughes could probably bring in a mini-haul, I would think.

Joba is almost not worth discussing. So badly mishandled, and stubornness perptuates the bad handling. Personlly, I'd let him build up his arm strength in Tampa and ask he to come back as a starter for June 1. I bet you if you sat him down, told him you want him to start, and guaranteed that, he'd sign a team freindly 3 year extension. Because after that he could cash in.
    I agree i doubt this will end up playing out well, i think the most likely outcome is they resign Cano to a huge deal, let Grandy walk for a pick and end up with nothing for Hughes and Joba.

The lack of huge interest in Grandy really doesn't surprise me right now, he really only makes sense for a handful of teams like Texas, Atlanta and a couple others. For Texas their have the system to get a J Upton or Stanton if he's truely available. If their going to give up valuable prospects they would far rather get a younger player they can control for more than 1 yr.

I think the interest in Grandy will pick way way up around the AS break if he's having another big yr. Theirs always a team that appears to be one big bat short from being WS contenders and usually pay huge from them.

I think the situation is similar with Hughes contenders always need another good starter at the deadline and pay big for it just like the Tigers did for Sanchez last yr. If Hughes is having a good yr and we get the right offer i would trade him regardless of where we are in the race. Thats about the time Pineda is expected back plus we'll have guys like Phelps, Warren and possibly a couple others that could take his spot. With another good yr i don't think we can afford to resign him and i doubt they will give him a qualifying offer. Better to get something rather than nothing.

No way i trade Nova now, most young pitchers go through growing pains plus he's young and cheap. He's probably never going to end up a #2 starter like we hoped but he has shown he has very good stuff and when he's on he's a winner. His value is pretty low right now and has been way to good at times to give up on this soon.

I agree with the Joba situation, i just don't see anyway he comes back. His entire career here has been a clusterf*** , theirs no way i would stick around if i were him to continue being a 6th-7th inning guy. We have a good group of very good relievers coming soon and the Yanks aren't going to give him a big deal when they have younger guys that are very capable of handling the role he's in now. I really think their is a team out their that will either give him another chance to starter or possibly close. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes to another team as a starter and really makes the Yanks regret never giving him another chance to start. Again at the deadline teams are desperate for solid late inning relievers and its better to get something rather than nothing.

I highly doubt it happens but if Cashman and the brass played it right they could make some trades that could seriously speed up the eventual rebuilding process but sadly i don't see them doing it

vCash
    I don't disagree that Cano deserves his day in the sun and should be resigned. My point is their is no way in the world i give him the 10yr 200m + that he is looking for. How many 7+ plus yr deal that have ever been signed turned out well for the team or even looked ok at the end? less than 5 that i can think of.

The biggest reason Jeters 10 yr deal and Arods 1st 10 yr deal turned out well is that they signed them when Jeter was 25-26 at the time and Arod was 24-25. Thats a huge difference than giving a 31 yr old Cano a 10 yr deal. Very few middle infielder age well and continue to put up career norm numbers after their mid 30's.
    Agree. The Dodgers quest for an all-star at every position will lead them to Cano in the off season and they don't mind paying for a few extra years of declining performance. Let them have him.

I think the situation is similar with Hughes contenders always need another good starter at the deadline and pay big for it just like the Tigers did for Sanchez last yr. If Hughes is having a good yr and we get the right offer i would trade him regardless of where we are in the race.
    I agree with this too. Hughes is capable of being a better pitcher for a team that plays in a park that doesn't yield HRs as easily as Yankee Stadium does.

No way i trade Nova now, most young pitchers go through growing pains plus he's young and cheap. He's probably never going to end up a #2 starter like we hoped but he has shown he has very good stuff and when he's on he's a winner. His value is pretty low right now and has been way to good at times to give up on this soon.
    I wouldn't mind trading Nova, but I don't see how we can since we don't have the depth to replace him. He will probably never be a Pettitte or even a Kuroda, but he's useful as a 4 or 5 starter and, like you say, he's cheap.

vCash
    Nova is an ace. We can't trade an ace.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

The Ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Nova is an ace. We can't trade an ace.
    Well, yeah, there's that too.

vCash
    Funny I have been off of here for awhile and the first post that makes sense is from Leo! I wrote pretty much the same in another thread. If they are hell bent on keeping below the 189 mil mark then this is the only way to do it.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Funny I have been off of here for awhile and the first post that makes sense is from Leo! I wrote pretty much the same in another thread. If they are hell bent on keeping below the 189 mil mark then this is the only way to do it.
    Wyld1, you should post more. I miss seeing your sig.

vCash
    People underestimate Nova. He has good stuff and I like his mechanics. Plus fastball, great slider. He needs to work on the curve and develop a changeup. Many pitchers suffer sophomore slumps. I would give Nova another chance in the rotation in the #5 spot. He could be a very good #5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Wyld1, you should post more. I miss seeing your sig.
    Thanks Bro....I love seeing "The Boss" on your Avatar! Plus we almost always agree!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    I agree i doubt this will end up playing out well, i think the most likely outcome is they resign Cano to a huge deal, let Grandy walk for a pick and end up with nothing for Hughes and Joba.
    Sadly, that is the most likely way to play out.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    People underestimate Nova. He has good stuff and I like his mechanics. Plus fastball, great slider. He needs to work on the curve and develop a changeup. Many pitchers suffer sophomore slumps. I would give Nova another chance in the rotation in the #5 spot. He could be a very good #5.
    I still like Nova very much. This will be a telling year.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast