Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running Backs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CurseOfJoeNamth View Post
    MJD isn't worth trading for because he becomes a free agent in 2014, Why give up alot of picks and what not for a guy you might be able to sign in a year n a half
    Come on Namaff. Tebow and our 1st rounder for MJD and their 1st rounder.

GET IT DONE, OMAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I would avoid trading a good amount of value for a running back, just doesn't make much sense when they are a huge surplus in the NFL. I would love to see the Jets go after Eddie Lacy in the draft. Even though Lacy plays behind the best offensive line in college football, he is still a pretty under appreciated RB when you compare him to the two RBs he sat on the bench for earlier in his career.

He's a bruising RB with great speed, great blocking skills and the ability to catch the football, NTM the meanest spin move in CFB. As an Auburn fan, it's hard giving credit to an Alabama player but he definitely deserves it, he's better than Ingram and not very far behind Richardson as an overall back IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansince'67 View Post
    Steve Jackson was a good, really tough RB - but he is SHOT! He runs straight up, and would not get through those little holes that Greene squirts through (for 3-8 yards), and is no longer a break-away threat!

MJD - I would be shocked if he ever gets back to where he was last year. Talk about over-use/abuse, AND, even so....he's going to cost A LOT! We don't have it.

I totally agree that we have enough "tough backs" with Greene and Powell - who is a little faster, and will even try and make someone miss. We don't need Wells, or Jackson, or any other grinders. WE NEED a break-awat back that can catch the ball out of the back-field, and block on 3rd down.

Chris Ivory fits "OUR MOLD" as he's big 6'0" 222 lbs, but is a step quicker than Powell and Greene, He runs a sub 4.5 40, and only has 252 carries, and has a career avg of 5.1 ypc, and hasn't fumbled since the 4 he put down as a rookie (although he had more carries his rookie year (2010) than he has in the last 2 years). he can break it though as he had a "55 yarder" in '10, and a "56 yarder" this year.

The Saints have 3 great RBs - not including Ivory, and he is a restricted FA at the end of the season. He made $620,867 this year which is almost double what he made his rookie year. He looks good, but I don't think he is in a position to demand big bucks, although I have a feeling he has star potential.

However - I hope the new GM believes in building through the draft, and an occasional FA - NO HIGH PRICED 30-somethings year old.

GO JETS!!!
    I disagree, I think he IS in a position to get paid. And I doubt NO would/could match with their two expensive RB's on the roster. The Jets should swoop in with a moderate offer and grab him which would require an offer sheet since he's an undrafted RFA. Couple him with Powell and keep McKnight simply because the next OC might utilize him more and we're in good shape there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I disagree, I think he IS in a position to get paid. And I doubt NO would/could match with their two expensive RB's on the roster. The Jets should swoop in with a moderate offer and grab him which would require an offer sheet since he's an undrafted RFA. Couple him with Powell and keep McKnight simply because the next OC might utilize him more and we're in good shape there.
    I like Ivory. He is underutilized in the Saints' offense. Sice he was undrafted, would we have to give up a pick if we signed him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by afmanic View Post
    Fair enough with everyone's comments.

My thinking to two go back to the 2 headed monster we had with jones-greene.

Bottom line we need to get better in the offensive line in order to be effective with the run. They say its a throwing league, but if you can run the ball effectively and control time of possession, you do 2 things. Consume time and wear out your opponents defense.
    The offensive line hasnt beem great, but by no means are they the only issue. I dont know how many times i see the line open up a huge whole, and shonn greene is still 3 yards away from getting into the hole, and then when he does, he is almost looking to get tackled instead of bursting through the whole. He has got to be one of the slowest backs i have ever seen at hitting a hole and breaking through

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgmc59 View Post
    I like Ivory. He is underutilized in the Saints' offense. Sice he was undrafted, would we have to give up a pick if we signed him?
    I don't think so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12