Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Andrew Bailey ?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    We don't have one single reliable bullpen arm right now, if you're comfortable with that, good for you, i'm not.
    Please read: http://motorcitybengals.com/2012/12/...-bullpen-help/

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,463
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Dude, you ever hear of St. John's Wort? It is all-natural, it is healthy, it is recommended for those who need a natural remedy to depression and negativity...I suggest you take some. No need to have a chip on your shoulder all the time.

    Personally, I like Coke, I know many don't. I like Dotel. I like Alburquerque and Villareal. I think Benoit is okay. I think Downs is okay and I personally like Below. I realize that our bullpen could really use an addition but I have faith in the Tigers FO in assessing pitching...if they say Rondon can do it, who am I to say he cannot. I am fine with Rondon going forward.

    You want to talk about things that I am not comfortable with we can discuss Peralta whom we have all seen venture a half step to his right and step and a quarter to his left...but I digress.
    All of our bp arms have the ability to be very good, but they have also proven to be inconsistent.

    I would also like to see Peralta replaced though.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso_Smith View Post
    They wont do it because DD and Leyland are quite set on Rondon being the closer, and if that doesnt work out, to solve the problem in house
    I'll be very surprised if we go into ST with Rondon as our closer. I still see Soriano coming in in the near future. I can see us signing him to a one year deal leaving the door open for him to go back to the Yankees when Rivera retires after the 2013 season.
    You don't build a team like we have now and HOPE a rookie can shut the door. On any other team in the central but not the Tigers. Bank it
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    2,291
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Dude, you ever hear of St. John's Wort? It is all-natural, it is healthy, it is recommended for those who need a natural remedy to depression and negativity...I suggest you take some. No need to have a chip on your shoulder all the time.

    Personally, I like Coke, I know many don't. I like Dotel. I like Alburquerque and Villareal. I think Benoit is okay. I think Downs is okay and I personally like Below. I realize that our bullpen could really use an addition but I have faith in the Tigers FO in assessing pitching...if they say Rondon can do it, who am I to say he cannot. I am fine with Rondon going forward.

    You want to talk about things that I am not comfortable with we can discuss Peralta whom we have all seen venture a half step to his right and step and a quarter to his left...but I digress.
    hahahahaha

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    2,291
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I'll be very surprised if we go into ST with Rondon as our closer. I still see Soriano coming in in the near future. I can see us signing him to a one year deal leaving the door open for him to go back to the Yankees when Rivera retires after the 2013 season.
    You don't build a team like we have now and HOPE a rookie can shut the door. On any other team in the central but not the Tigers. Bank it
    Whatever Ilitch wants to spend I guess haha. I'm fine either way. Valverde is out. I would be excited to see a flame thrower rookie but it would be nice if we had a guy who's done it to a level Soriano did last year

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    288
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    We don't have one single reliable bullpen arm right now, if you're comfortable with that, good for you, i'm not.
    I'd love some of whatever you are smoking. Benoit, Dotel, Coke, Al Al...Yeah, none of these guys are reliable.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    288
    vCash
    1500
    And Villareal who I forgot... And if they don't trade Porcello, Either he or Smyly moves to the pen...

    You're crazy...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,463
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoSteel View Post
    I'd love some of whatever you are smoking. Benoit, Dotel, Coke, Al Al...Yeah, none of these guys are reliable.
    Dotel is good for around a 3.50 ERA, not impressive for a reliever and he's only getting older. Benoit had a 5.52 ERA in the 2nd half of the season last year, and a 4.24 ERA in the first half of 2011, inconsistency at its best. Coke was good in the playoffs, but don't forget about his 1.65 WHIP and 4.00 ERA during the regular season, righties hit .396 against him last year lol. Al Al has only pitched 56 2/3 innings in the big leagues so I don't understand how that makes him proven to you, and you can't overlook the fact that he has walked 37 batters in those 56 2/3, that's exactly the same walk rate as Shlereth has had over his career.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,463
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoSteel View Post
    And Villareal who I forgot... And if they don't trade Porcello, Either he or Smyly moves to the pen...

    You're crazy...
    Villareal had good numbers overall for the year, but he got beat up in the 2nd half of the season, and overall his ERA was nearly 3 runs higher on the road. His day/night splits for his career are also something to be concerned about, 1.55 ERA during the day, 4.97 at night, walk rate not very good either. Nowhere near enough innings to call him reliable.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Villareal had good numbers overall for the year, but he got beat up in the 2nd half of the season, and overall his ERA was nearly 3 runs higher on the road. His day/night splits for his career are also something to be concerned about, 1.55 ERA during the day, 4.97 at night, walk rate not very good either. Nowhere near enough innings to call him reliable.
    It only takes one very bad game to blow a relief pitchers ERA sky high and a whole bunch of very good games to get it back down . ERA for a relief pitcher isn't the best judge of if he is good or not.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,463
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    It only takes one very bad game to blow a relief pitchers ERA sky high and a whole bunch of very good games to get it back down . ERA for a relief pitcher isn't the best judge of if he is good or not.
    Just went through Villarreals game log for 2012, he had 22 outings on the road, 13 good 9 bad, he never allowed more than 2 runs in an outing, having 4 games where he allowed 2. Of those 4 games he pitched at least a full inning 3 of those times, so it's not as though he went out and had a complete blow up once or twice. Do these numbers satisfy you?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Just went through Villarreals game log for 2012, he had 22 outings on the road, 13 good 9 bad, he never allowed more than 2 runs in an outing, having 4 games where he allowed 2. Of those 4 games he pitched at least a full inning 3 of those times, so it's not as though he went out and had a complete blow up once or twice. Do these numbers satisfy you?
    You must not understand how ERA works. He gives up 2 runs in a couple of games and yes he wil have a high ERA. How many innings do you think he pitched 9 ? Thats my point. If a RP gives up 4 runs over a total of 9 innings what's his Era for those 9 innings? They only pitch 1-2 or 3 outs. Sometimes another out or two. So two runs is huge. Pretty simple math.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Just went through Villarreals game log for 2012, he had 22 outings on the road, 13 good 9 bad, he never allowed more than 2 runs in an outing, having 4 games where he allowed 2. Of those 4 games he pitched at least a full inning 3 of those times, so it's not as though he went out and had a complete blow up once or twice. Do these numbers satisfy you?
    You must not understand how ERA works. He gives up 2 runs in a couple of games and yes he wil have a high ERA. How many innings do you think he pitched 9 ? Thats my point. If a RP gives up 4 runs over a total of 9 innings what's his Era for those 9 innings? They only pitch 1-2 or 3 outs. Sometimes another out or two. So two runs is huge. Pretty simple math.

    I still think we will NOT go into the 2013 season with Rondon as our closer. I think DD is playing his cards the right way and not letting Scot Boras think he has us over a barrel. I'm almost willing to bet Soriano will be our closer for at least one season. And on our terms. I'm guessing 6-7 million . Same as we paid Valverde. One year will give Rondon more time to get ready and it will allow Soriano to go back to the Yankees after Rivera retires.
    You can say yes Jack you were right on this one.
    I'm not convinced DD is confident in Rondon, Benoit , Dotel or Coke for a whole season. Its one thing to have somebody to fall back on like we did with Coke short term. But not for the whole season. And remember I said it before. The league is made up of more right handed hitters so having a lefty as a closer is asking for trouble. Yes a few have done it but very few.
    LOL. I'd like to count to times I've read many of you complain about JL bringing Coke into a game and have him get beat up. And you would trust him to the closers job a whole season? And you would trust Rondon with the job having not faced major league pitching? So big deal he throws 100-102. Major league hitters will catch up to those fast balls. Just ask JV. He's given up a few hrs especially when they know whats coming most of the time.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    15,673
    vCash
    500
    The intrigue about Rondon, for me at least, is no one has seen him yet and rookie closers seem to have a pretty good track record lately. It's like they just show up out of nowhere and dominate, it would be awesome if Rondon did that, but I'm not confident either and it's definitely not something I'm banking on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •