Huh?
    considering his pre game posts in other threads, thats a great post

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash

Amar'e Stoudemire wishes he could play in first NBA city

Amar'e Stoudemire wishes he could play in first NBA city

Published: December 26, 2012 5:48 PM
    By NEIL BEST neil.best@newsday.com

PHOENIX - "It was awesome," Amar'e Stoudemire said, then he said it again for emphasis. "Awesome."

So it was for the Knicks forward two years ago next week, when he returned to a warm ovation from Suns fans in his first trip here as an NBA visitor.

"I was very appreciative of how the fans received me there," he said after the Knicks' loss to the Lakers on Tuesday.

What was even better than the cheers was what Stoudemire did on the court, scoring 23 points to help his new team blow out his old team, 121-96, with Suns fans booing and owner Robert Sarver watching uncomfortably. (Raymond Felton, in his first Knicks stint, had a triple-double that night.)

Much has changed since then, of course. At the time, Carmelo Anthony was a Nugget, Steve Nash was a Sun, Mike D'Antoni was coaching the Knicks and Stoudemire was healthy.

As the Suns and Sarver had feared when they declined to re-sign Stoudemire in 2010, his knees have acted up and he has not played a minute this season after undergoing a left knee debridement on Halloween.

There had been hope Stoudemire could return in time to face the Suns again last night in the Knicks' first game here since Jan. 7, 2011. (The lockout-delayed schedule kept them out of Phoenix last season.) But even though he is with the Knicks on their current road swing, that hope was gone by the time the Knicks got to the West Coast.

Coach Mike Woodson would like to get Stoudemire some practice time and there is no time for that until Sunday, which has made the Jan. 1 home game against the Blazers the new target.

"That would have been great to play in Phoenix in front of my old fans and friends; that would have been great," he said outside the Knicks' locker room in Los Angeles.

"But I'm not quite there yet so I have to make sure I stay patient, stay ready . . . I wish I could play and give them a show, but I'm not able to."

Stoudemire did not point to anything in particular that is holding him back, saying only the priority is to avoid setbacks. "If I'm not 100 percent there are always certain areas where you definitely want to feel great," he said, "and I am not quite there yet."

The hope is when he does return he can integrate himself quickly.

"We've been doing extremely intensive work as far as cardio, so hopefully by the time I'm back on the basketball court I should be in top shape and ready to go," he said.

Just how Woodson will use Stoudemire's skills without messing with team chemistry is among the most talked-about mysteries in the NBA as the new year looms.

But D'Antoni, who knows firsthand the challenges of using Anthony and Stoudemire together, said the Knicks are far better off with him than without him.

"It will be a little bit of an adjustment," D'Antoni said Tuesday. "They'll play a little differently. But you can play half a game one way and half a game another way. Anytime you bring an all-star caliber player back to your team you would think they can figure out a way to make it better, and I think they will."

Said Woodson: "We miss his leadership. We miss his scoring and his ability to rebound the ball. There are a lot of things. 'Stat' is a big piece of our puzzle, along with 'Rook' [Iman Shumpert], too.

"They're not far away. How far I don't know yet, but we'll patiently wait on them, I promise you that."

vCash
    could this be our starting unit?

Jason Kidd, Ronnie Brewer, Carmelo Anthony, Kurt Thomas and Tyson Chandler against Phoenix.

Say what you want about Ray, but if you really look at that unit he makes a world of difference.

vCash
    Wish we had Amar'e back. We need a bonafide finisher.

But we should be able to handle Phoenix, anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    Huh?
    God I can't stop watching that sig. Part of me loves the Melo smooth finesse at the rim over the LeBron same old **** back the hammer dunk. Some George Gervin **** right there.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    We should think about Flight, starting over Brewer. This would be the game to try it.

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    could this be our starting unit?

Jason Kidd, Ronnie Brewer, Carmelo Anthony, Kurt Thomas and Tyson Chandler against Phoenix.

Say what you want about Ray, but if you really look at that unit he makes a world of difference.
    Replace Brewer with White and that's a W against PHX plus play Cope with Prigs and we should be good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Backstabber View Post
    We should think about Flight, starting over Brewer. This would be the game to try it.
    agreed

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Just get the win....then get the win Fri...we can regroup ...make adjustments over the break.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    God I can't stop watching that sig. Part of me loves the Melo smooth finesse at the rim over the LeBron same old **** back the hammer dunk. Some George Gervin **** right there.
    Well you and I know how much you like my sigs. This one's mine.
    (Inside joke)

vCash
    No Melo/Felton tonight.

White in the starting lineup

vCash
    No Melo.

No Felton.

So, our #1 scoring option is out. Our #2 scoring option (yes, Felton IS out #2 option at the moment) is out. So we have to rely on Smith as the only offense?

sheesh.

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

[QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

vCash
    Just heard no melo tonight...
    omg. why. if only Amare was back.

If you can't handle my worst, you ain't getting my best.
    #KnicksTape

vCash
    Neil Best‏@sportswatch

Woodson says Melo hyperextended knee when camby fell on him. Felton out too. Kidd, white, chandler, brewer and thomas start

vCash
    so Camby plays what 5 min and hurts Melo........ughhh

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast