Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ruben Tejada

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgometsgo View Post
    Cornerstone players: Ike D, David W, Travis D, Matt H, Dan W, Jon N, and maybe Bobby P.
    Not too shabby. Just need better complimentary players. Lol
    As in Dan Wheeler? The RP that's been long gone from the Mets? Maybe you mean Zack Wheeler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    As in Dan Wheeler? The RP that's been long gone from the Mets? Maybe you mean Zack Wheeler
    I thought he was talking about Dan Warthen.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    MF19, I agree with jomo and FoC.

To add, the '69 Mets was one of the best clutch teams I've ever seen play in my lifetime. I mean if they needed a strikeout or a clutch hit they got it.

On May 27, they were 18-23. The rest of the way they went 82-39!!!!

Again, the key was incredible starting pitching whether it be Tom Terrific, Koos, Gary Gentry, Jim McAndrew, Don Cardwell, and a 22 year old Nolan Ryan. The BP was anchored by the deadly RP Tug McGraw and Ron Taylor. Most of the time they exceeded expectations.

The everyday players were really a bunch of guys that seemed to play above their abilities.

Players like Wayne Garrett, Bobby Heise, Al Weis, Ed Charles, J.C. Martin, Bobby Pfeil and others - a bunch of average guys at best playing their defined roles to perfection. It was uncanny and amazing from a group of guys who had previously been ignored for the most part.

From 1962 - 1968, the team had five 10th (last) place finishes and two 9th place finishes. So what happened came as a shock to the ENTIRE baseball world.......

Bottom line (but, you've heard it before)......Pitching, pitching, pitching and more pitching, exceptional defense and clutch hitting will always win.
    I know, I don't think I was having a debate with them, though, more so they were adding to what I was saying.

My point being that when the Mets are ready to compete in a few years, it will be the pitching that carries them, much like the 1969 Mets pitchers did.

Also, because FoC was saying that the Mets don't have many "cornerstone players", I wanted to add that neither did the Miracle Mets (position players, anyway).

I'm confused....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post

I'm confused....
    Join the club. I think we need someone to start the C of C, otherwise known as the Church of Confusion.

Any Bishops available with time on their hands to run a new Congregation?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Join the club. I think we need someone to start the C of C, otherwise known as the Church of Confusion.

Any Bishops available with time on their hands to run a new Congregation?
    I don't think I could handle that responsibility, but I'd gladly be the first memeber to join.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I thought he was talking about Dan Warthen.

What happened to Dan Warthen's board nemesis?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I think they all gained his respect when he got ejected from that one game.

That may have been one of my favorite Mets moments .

vCash
    Both Cleon Jones and Tommie Agee had pretty elite seasons in 1969, though for Jones it was a career year, and for Agee some of his value was in elite defense, which maybe wasn't fully appreciated at the time. So it was mostly pitching, but not all pitching. You still had two position players with 6+ fWAR seasons (edit: actually it's 5.5+ WAR seasons; I grabbed these off a graph which apparently rounded some up to 6).

The Mets have had 31 such seasons in their history:

4 David Wright
    4 Jose Reyes
    3 Edgardo Alfonzo
    2 Carlos Beltran
    2 Darrel Strawberry
    2 Mike Piazza
    2 Keith Hernandez
    2 John Olerud
    2 Tommie Agee
    1 each Howard Johnson, Cleon Jones, Gary Carter, Robin Ventura, John Stearns, Dave Magadan, Bernard Gilkey, Lance Johnson
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 12-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.

vCash
    I would be happy if improved on his conditioning and work on driving the ball. and do i agree that with some of the posters here that we were very spoiled with reyes being our shortstop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    NQ had emailed me a few months ago telling me he was expecting his job obligations to intensify and as such wouldn't be able to post much over the off season.

Hopefully we will see him by the time spring training starts. He's sorely missed here.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567