Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ruben Tejada

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yes.

Jose Reyes is a cornerstone player.

Ruben Tejada is a complementary player.

It's generally not a good idea to replace a cornerstone player with a complementary player unless you have another cornerstone player ready to fill another position. But the Mets other than Wright had no other cornerstones.

Hell, they didn't even have an outfield.

The problem is when you start replacing cornerstone players with complementary players, people stop complimenting your team.

See what i did there?
    I'm guessing you've been waiting a long time to be able to use that line. But how many cornerstone players did we have in 2011? Maybe 3, if you consider Beltran a cornerstone. But he wasn't part of a long term core around which you build the team of the future. Now, we are building that core with a few "cornerstones". Wright, Davis, Harvey, Wheeler, and hopefully d"Arnaud and Syndergaard. It would be nice if Alderson could acquire another "difference maker" as he puts it, in the outfield, but we already have the makings of a fine young team. Which is why Tejada can be of value.

Last I looked, Ruben played the entire 2012 season as a 22 year old. Give the kid a break. He's still years away from his prime, and he's still growing. I'm not saying that he will ever be what you call a "cornerstone", but he can be a very solid contributor, a complimentary player as you say, going down the road. We need the complimentary players. IMO, Ruben is a keeper.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Leave Tejada alone, he's coming along just fine. He's learned to hit well, puts the ball in play,is playing a solid defensive SS, has good instincts, and is still only in his early 20s! What was that crack about being a backup infielder? - give me a break. How about we focus on the Outfield, as in - WE DONT HAVE AN OUTFIELD!

vCash
    On the topic of Jose - yes my preference would have been to keep Jose at SS and have Tejada at 2B for a dynamic DP combo. But with Jose gone, I think Tejada has the potential to become a fine Mets SS for years to come (just not as dynamic as Jose, but then again - who is?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He's very close to his peak if he's not already there.
    How could you possibly know this????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    How could you possibly know this????
    Lack of tools, bat speed, etc.

The only thing I see him working on is his OBP.

vCash
    Lack of tools, bat speed, etc.

The only thing I see him working on is his OBP.
    You have quite an eye.

vCash
    You have quite an eye.
    Thank you.

He doesn't have the tools of a Starlin Castro, so he's never going to be a star in this league. But being a solid average everyday SS holds a lot of value in this league.

vCash
    Thank you.

He doesn't have the tools of a Starlin Castro, so he's never going to be a star in this league. But being a solid average everyday SS holds a lot of value in this league.
    Saying a 22 year old has peaked based on you observing his "tools and bat speed" is absurd.

He probably will never hit more than 3-5 HRs a year in a big year but he could become a better hitter, better hit/run batter, better base stealer, better fielder, tougher out etc. No one has any idea at this stage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Hola desde Condado, San Juan!
    Hey! Maybe you can find us a shortstop or two while you're down there?
    Tried but no dice. They all said they were holding out for that big offer from the Pirates.

In other news, they still love them some Carlos Beltran down here in San Juan. Wish I had brought my old Beltran jersey here - Might have got me some free mofongo!

Adios muchachos!
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Saying a 22 year old has peaked based on you observing his "tools and bat speed" is absurd.

He probably will never hit more than 3-5 HRs a year in a big year but he could become a better hitter, better hit/run batter, better base stealer, better fielder, tougher out etc. No one has any idea at this stage.
    He has a slightly above average arm, a nice hit tool, and a good glove.

He has absolutely no power, and he is not a fast runner.

Do you really believe he is much better than he was last season? He's not some raw 22 year old kid with huge upside, he's a polished 22 year old kid with low upside.

I said he was close to his peak, but no one knows if he'll actually get better or not so that's why I said he might be there already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    I'm guessing you've been waiting a long time to be able to use that line. But how many cornerstone players did we have in 2011? Maybe 3, if you consider Beltran a cornerstone. But he wasn't part of a long term core around which you build the team of the future. Now, we are building that core with a few "cornerstones". Wright, Davis, Harvey, Wheeler, and hopefully d"Arnaud and Syndergaard. It would be nice if Alderson could acquire another "difference maker" as he puts it, in the outfield, but we already have the makings of a fine young team. Which is why Tejada can be of value.

Last I looked, Ruben played the entire 2012 season as a 22 year old. Give the kid a break. He's still years away from his prime, and he's still growing. I'm not saying that he will ever be what you call a "cornerstone", but he can be a very solid contributor, a complimentary player as you say, going down the road. We need the complimentary players. IMO, Ruben is a keeper.
    The Mets don't need anymore complimentary players. They have enough guys telling each other in the clubhouse how good they are, how well dressed they are, what nice wives and girlfriends they have, etc.

But it's not a bad thing to have complementary players, guys who can add value to the cornerstone players. But without the cornerstones, the complementary players have no one to complement, even if they can compliment any player on the team by telling them their such great teammates and so much fun to be around.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Cornerstone players don't grow on trees.

The Mets most likely didn't have the money to resign Reyes last year. We didn't have the money this year to keep Wright and then sign a Hamilton, Grienke, Bourn, etc...

We have potential cornerstone players waiting in the wings and money coming off the books in a few years. That is when we'll see guys like Tejada complimenting a cornerstone player.

vCash
    He has a slightly above average arm, a nice hit tool, and a good glove.

He has absolutely no power, and he is not a fast runner.

Do you really believe he is much better than he was last season? He's not some raw 22 year old kid with huge upside, he's a polished 22 year old kid with low upside.

I said he was close to his peak, but no one knows if he'll actually get better or not so that's why I said he might be there already.
    Everyone grows at 22. He may not get any stronger or faster but he'll learn the pitchers, learn the hitters, expand his baseball knowledge. It's why many veterans are better players than younger more talented players.

If Tejada hit .320 with 40 doubles last year, I'd agree he probably peaked and may never do it again. Last year was .290 30 doubles. No reason to think he can't match or surpass that.

Truthfully, I see him as a .275, 30 doubles, tough out, good fielding SS. Steady but not spectacular. Reliable and never a problem. Not a concern for several years to come. Probably part of a trade package in a few years when he becomes too expensive for the Wilnotpons.

vCash
    The Mets don't need anymore complimentary players. They have enough guys telling each other in the clubhouse how good they are, how well dressed they are, what nice wives and girlfriends they have, etc.

But it's not a bad thing to have complementary players, guys who can add value to the cornerstone players. But without the cornerstones, the complementary players have no one to complement, even if they can compliment any player on the team by telling them their such great teammates and so much fun to be around.
    Who are these complimentary players?
    Possibly Tejada, Murphy and Cowgill.

Davis and Wright are cornerstones and eventually d'Arnaud.

Buck is a back up. Turner and Baxter are bench players. I hope Kirk can be more than a 4th outfielder, but unless his contact rate improves he'll be lucky to be just a 4th.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Who are these complimentary players?
    Possibly Tejada, Murphy and Cowgill.

Davis and Wright are cornerstones and eventually d'Arnaud.

Buck is a back up. Turner and Baxter are bench players. I hope Kirk can be more than a 4th outfielder, but unless his contact rate improves he'll be lucky to be just a 4th.
    Correct on Tejada and Murph. Complimentary players to good cornerstone types. I have no idea about Cowsill (go ahead, link the Cowsills video). Buck, Turner, Baxter are throw aways, easily replaced if they sign elsewhere or are throw ins in a deal.

The problem continues to be the OF. Right now the OF has no cornerstone types or complimentary players. We have no OFer that would cause me to be concerned if we lost them. That's a sad statement.

We need (at least) one solid cornerstone like Upton and two good complimentaries. Until we get those three guys, this is a sub .500 team.
    Last edited by jomota; 12-29-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast