Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben Tejada

vCash
    Another point made on Tejada was that he was very unlucky on batted balls. Again, 10 points or better raise in average and OBP. More gap power and we should be satisfied with the player. Reyes is a once is 20 year type of player, don't compare the two. I think 106 mil or what ever he signed was market value. He should still be a Met. Regardless of what people said, hard to replace talent such as his.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    Another point made on Tejada was that he was very unlucky on batted balls. Again, 10 points or better raise in average and OBP. More gap power and we should be satisfied with the player. Reyes is a once is 20 year type of player, don't compare the two. I think 106 mil or what ever he signed was market value. He should still be a Met. Regardless of what people said, hard to replace talent such as his.
    He was actually pretty lucky. His BABIP the last two seasons have been .331 and .339 respectively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Will he work that hard to achieve that? I doubt it. He did gain weight from 2011 you know.
    This is what I am saying though. If he works harder cuts down his body fat and gets stronger he has the potential to become a better player.

If he sits down with the coaching staff and gets taught how to steal bases he becomes a better player.

If he does both he can become a really good SS in this league.

I don't know if he will put the effort in or not but I don't think he does enough right now to be counted on as the longterm SS.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    This is what I am saying though. If he works harder cuts down his body fat and gets stronger he has the potential to become a better player.

If he sits down with the coaching staff and gets taught how to steal bases he becomes a better player.

If he does both he can become a really good SS in this league.

I don't know if he will put the effort in or not but I don't think he does enough right now to be counted on as the longterm SS.
    As of now, he is the long-term answer at SS regardless of what improvements he could make. I think he is what he is, a solid average SS in this league with little power and speed but a good glove.

We were spoiled with Reyes, so obviously Tejada will look far inferior in his place.

vCash
    As of now, he is the long-term answer at SS regardless of what improvements he could make. I think he is what he is, a solid average SS in this league with little power and speed but a good glove.

We were spoiled with Reyes, so obviously Tejada will look far inferior in his place.
    We may be spoiled by Reyes but that doesn't mean that Tejada can't improve if he puts the effort behind it and the coaches stay on top of him.

vCash
    We may be spoiled by Reyes but that doesn't mean that Tejada can't improve if he puts the effort behind it and the coaches stay on top of him.
    I think he can steal 10 bases at most but asking him to hit for more power sounds like what the Mets tried to do with Thole, and he regressed entirely in his offensive game.

The only thing I want Tejada to work on is his on base skills. He did a nice job in 2011, but in 2012 he did not do as well in that regard. He is an asset if he gets on base and plays solid defense.

vCash
    I think he can steal 10 bases at most but asking him to hit for more power sounds like what the Mets tried to do with Thole, and he regressed entirely in his offensive game.

The only thing I want Tejada to work on is his on base skills. He did a nice job in 2011, but in 2012 he did not do as well in that regard. He is an asset if he gets on base and plays solid defense.
    True, that would certainly be a plus but players much slower then him have stolen far more bases. Im not saying he can steal 30 but 12-18 shouldn't be out of the question if he gets on base at a higher rate and learns how to read pitchers. He has enough speed to be an opportunistic base stealer.

I don't want him to change his swing at all like they did Thole. Just implying that if he gets stronger the doubles will come at a higher rate as well as the rare home run.

vCash
    True, that would certainly be a plus but players much slower then him have stolen far more bases. Im not saying he can steal 30 but 12-18 shouldn't be out of the question if he gets on base at a higher rate and learns how to read pitchers. He has enough speed to be an opportunistic base stealer.

I don't want him to change his swing at all like they did Thole. Just implying that if he gets stronger the doubles will come at a higher rate as well as the rare home run.
    He's pretty slow actually. He will have to pick his spots so anything more than 10 seems impossible.

vCash
    He's pretty slow actually. He will have to pick his spots so anything more than 10 seems impossible.
    I wouldn't say impossible. In the course of a season I think a good base stealer with average to above average speed like Ruben could steal anywhere from 15-20 bases. Murphy and Bay are two good examples. Unfortunately I don't see Ruben with those instincts to pull it off right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    I wouldn't say impossible. In the course of a season I think a good base stealer with average to above average speed like Ruben could steal anywhere from 15-20 bases. Murphy and Bay are two good examples. Unfortunately I don't see Ruben with those instincts to pull it off right now.
    I think you have it the other way around. He has the instincts but his below average speed won't allow him to steal that many bases. Bay and Murphy are faster than Tejada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    Exactly. Anyone with average speed can swipe 10-15 bases if taught the art of reading pitchers and finding the best opportunities to do so.

Tejada has average speed. Prob not as fast as Murphy but def quicker then Murphy and base stealing is based more off of quickness then speed anyways.

I remember Gary and Keith talking about it after one game and they both though he had the potential to steal bases with some seasoning.

vCash
    Exactly. Anyone with average speed can swipe 10-15 bases if taught the art of reading pitchers and finding the best opportunities to do so.

Tejada has average speed. Prob not as fast as Murphy but def quicker then Murphy and base stealing is based more off of quickness then speed anyways.

I remember Gary and Keith talking about it after one game and they both though he had the potential to steal bases with some seasoning.
    LOL who told you that?

vCash
    One word that will solve all of Tejada's shortcomings.

Steroids.

Just sayin.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Tejada is a hitter. Period. He can flat out hit. His ability to hit with two strikes...and always seem to get to two strikes...shows an incredible amount of patience for a player of his age.

With that said, I would still upgrade if I had the opportunity. It is hard to make it as a one-dimensional player these days. And that's essentially what Rubin is...hits for average and can get on base, but has no speed and zero power. So he definately fills a slot for the moment, playing in that gaping hole left by Reyes. But I would trade up!

vCash
    He just needs to work on driving the ball.

I can live with him only stealing 10 bases a year, or only hitting 2 homeruns, only as long as he can keep being very solid in the field and can keep his good eye and veteran presence at the plate.

If he can get stronger and drive the ball into the gaps more, then I will be completely satisfied.

I'm sure he, like everyone else, can just work on baserunning and he could improve on the basepaths a bit, but not mightily.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast