Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruben Tejada

vCash

Ruben Tejada

Mods feel free to move this into another thread. I didn't know where to post it and thought this would make for a good discussion.

Ruben Tejada seems to be a fairly good player. Has a good baseball IQ and seem like he can be a consistent .280 - .300 hitter and play good defense.

With that said I Know Collins has had issues with his preparation and conditioning.

My main question is with Tejada's lack of tools can he improve certain aspects of his game with a good work ethic.

For instance if Tejada can put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and develop some gap power. That added muscle should make him slightly more explosive and quicker and should also allow him to stay healthier.

Also I know he doesn't have much speed but he is quick enough that he should be able to steal 15 or 20 bags if he learns how to get good jumps and read pitchers.

Is all this realistic or is it a pipe dream because I really feel if he's able to improve his gap power and become a better baserunner he can be a very good player in this league vs the average player he is today.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash

Ruben Tejada

My honest opinion is that he would be a solid backup middle infielder and at times it may look like he may be more than that, but the lack of tools just makes it hard for him to put it together for a whole year. I do not think he can get much better than what he is right now.

vCash
    If Tejada gained anymore weight, he would probably have to move off SS. He should just focus on getting stronger and stronger at this point, not bigger.

vCash
    I don't think Tejada will ever be an all star but its a leap to say that he hit his ceiling at age 22. He should be able to develop doubles power. To use him as a back up is a luxury only a really good team could afford.

vCash
    You can't really get stronger without adding some weight. Ten pounds of muscle throughout your legs and upper body won't slow you down.

vCash
    I really think he can hit 10 home runs with 30 doubles and 15 SB if he put the effort in to get stronger and not wear down toward the end of the season.

vCash
    I'm fine with Tejada, he has all the tools to be a middle of the pack short stop, very reliable. If Gavin or anyone else comes in with a better skill set so be it. On a better team (with real outfielders) I would be happy with him playing 2nd base.

This year 2013 I look for a higher OBP (10 points better realistically) and more doubles. Reuben is wasting his game if he tries for fly balls like Reyes would do from time to time. Real question is where does he bat 2nd or 8th. He did have some impressive at bats last year.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    I'm fine with Tejada, he has all the tools to be a middle of the pack short stop, very reliable. If Gavin or anyone else comes in with a better skill set so be it. On a better team (with real outfielders) I would be happy with him playing 2nd base.

This year 2013 I look for a higher OBP (10 points better realistically) and more doubles. Reuben is wasting his game if he tries for fly balls like Reyes would do from time to time. Real question is where does he bat 2nd or 8th. He did have some impressive at bats last year.
    I think he is a decent player but he needs to improve. He can makeup for his lack of natural tools.

He can get stronger and add more doubles and learn to read pitchers so he can steal more bases, he just needs to make the effort to get better.

I am not content with a .280 SS long term if he can't bring any power or speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    You can't really get stronger without adding some weight. Ten pounds of muscle throughout your legs and upper body won't slow you down.
    That's not true at all.

vCash
    I really think he can hit 10 home runs with 30 doubles and 15 SB if he put the effort in to get stronger and not wear down toward the end of the season.
    He will never do that. If that's what you are hoping for you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think .280/.350/.380 will be Tejada's kind of ceiling. 35 2B, 5 HR, 5 SB

If you want the SS you are describing, better wait 5 years or so for Gavin Cecchini.

vCash
    He might not be fast but if Jeff Bagwell can have multiple 30 SB seasons there is no reason Tejada should only be able to steal 4 while also being caught 4 times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He will never do that. If that's what you are hoping for you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think .280/.350/.380 will be Tejada's kind of ceiling. 35 2B, 5 HR, 5 SB

If you want the SS you are describing, better wait 5 years or so for Gavin Cecchini.
    10 homers may be pushing it but 5-8 with a career high of 10-12 shouldn't be out of the question. He has a small frame so he can add considerable muscle without putting on serious weight and gaining bulk. He's only 22 and if he works at it those numbers shouldn't be to far off. He makes consistent contact so adding strength should really increase his doubles.

vCash
    10 homers may be pushing it but 5-8 with a career high of 10-12 shouldn't be out of the question. He has a small frame so he can add considerable muscle without putting on serious weight and gaining bulk. He's only 22 and if he works at it those numbers shouldn't be to far off. He makes consistent contact so adding strength should really increase his doubles.
    Dude, he has 2 HR in 1008 AB.

He will never come close to 10, he doesn't have the bat speed or loft in his swing to hit that many.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Dude, he has 2 HR in 1008 AB.

He will never come close to 10, he doesn't have the bat speed or loft in his swing to hit that many.
    True but I am mainly speaking of doubles and stolen bases.

I spent 3 years as a personal trainer and am now in the Army and workout regularly. I have seen many guys with smaller frames put on 10 pounds of lean muscle and actually become more athletic. I really doubt 10 pounds of lean muscle mass on his small frame will slow him down to where he can't play SS. My guess it would actually make him more explosive in the field and keep him from wearing down throughout the season.

vCash
    True but I am mainly speaking of doubles and stolen bases.

I spent 3 years as a personal trainer and am now in the Army and workout regularly. I have seen many guys with smaller frames put on 10 pounds of lean muscle and actually become more athletic. I really doubt 10 pounds of lean muscle mass on his small frame will slow him down to where he can't play SS. My guess it would actually make him more explosive in the field and keep him from wearing down throughout the season.
    Will he work that hard to achieve that? I doubt it. He did gain weight from 2011 you know.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast