Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arizona Cardinals

2 12.50%
  • San Francisco 49ers

14 87.50%
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This is great news. Justin Smith says he will be back to play in the playoffs, even if the 49ers have to play in a wildcard game next Sunday. I hope he's somewhat effective given the limitations that the injury may bring. Either way, very inspirational. #ironman

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/29/508...-the-mend.html

Niners' Smith says he's on the mend
    By Matthew Barrows
    mbarrows@sacbee.com
    Published: Saturday, Dec. 29, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 1C

SANTA CLARA – Justin Smith said Friday he'll be "ready to roll" even if the playoffs begin next week for the 49ers.

"Yeah, I'd be ready to play," the defensive end said during a brief interview at his locker, his first since Dec. 16. "Just go with it. That's all you can do."

Smith suffered a partial tear of his left triceps tendon nearly two weeks ago during a win over the New England Patriots. He hasn't practiced since, but he said the injury has been healing on its own and that he's felt stronger as time goes on.

The four-time Pro Bowl player risks a complete tear of the tendon – which would put him out of action for good this season – if he plays. That's a risk he's willing to take.

"They can fix just about anything nowadays, so they told me," he said. "Yeah, you've got to have surgery regardless."

Asked the same question, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh acknowledged the gamble. "Yes, I think there's a higher risk," he said. "It's something that he'll have to have surgically repaired at the end of the season either way."

Because of that risk, Smith is unlikely to play in Sunday's regular-season finale against the Arizona Cardinals and is listed as doubtful on the injury report.

Smith, 33, and the 49ers also would be greatly aided by an extra week of rest, which they would get if they secured the No. 2 playoff seed in the NFC.

They're currently in the No. 3 position and only would move up with a win coupled by a Green Bay loss in Minnesota.

Smith said he'd play next weekend if the 49ers don't get the bye.

"Yeah, it's definitely getting better," he said. "I'll be ready to roll."

The 49ers on Friday also brought in reinforcements at Smith's position by promoting rookie Tony Jerod-Eddie from the practice squad. Jerod-Eddie will fill the roster spot that opened when wide receiver Mario Manningham went on injured reserve with a torn ACL in his knee.

The team had contemplated adding one of two practice-squad wide receivers, Chad Hall or Ricardo Lockette, but felt that Jerod-Eddie would have a bigger impact both at defensive end and on special teams.

Backup defensive lineman Will Tukuafu is listed as questionable on the injury report with a neck injury. Tukuafu left Sunday's game in the third quarter and did not return. Another backup lineman, Demarcus Dobbs, went on injured reserve earlier this month with a knee injury.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/29/508...#storylink=cpy

How sweet it is, how unbelievably sweet it is! 2010 AND 2012 San Francisco Giants are WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    You just posted this in another thread, I love this about Justin Smith. Just love it.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/B-Hop/Ward/Rigondeaux/Wlad/Cotto/Froch/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    SANTA CLARA -- Pro Bowl-bound Frank Gore said he's had to become a more patient runner because of the 49ers' read-option and pistol formations behind quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
    "Some plays you just don't know if he's going to keep (the ball) or not," Gore said Wednesday. "I've got to be patient and can't hit the hole that fast in the pistol."
    Perhaps known best for his vision to find holes, Gore's production has tailed off to 4.01 yards per carry in Kaepernick's six starts after he gained 5.38 per carry in Alex Smith's nine starts. Gore had only six carries for 28 yards in Sunday's 42-13 loss at Seattle, and only one carry after the first quarter.
    "We do different things with Kap, as far as running the ball,"

Thought this was kind of interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Give it some time. Marshawn Lynch has no problem with similar read options.

vCash
    Hmm...Kap's former coach, Chris Ault, stepped down from Nevada today. If Greg Roman was hired away I wonder if Ault joins the staff.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    Hmm...Kap's former coach, Chris Ault, stepped down from Nevada today. If Greg Roman was hired away I wonder if Ault joins the staff.
    If he ever did it would probably be as some sort of offensive assistant or QB coach. Doubt he would get the call as an OC.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    If he ever did it would probably be as some sort of offensive assistant or QB coach. Doubt he would get the call as an OC.
    If Roman left then I'd see Geep Chryst (QB coach) taking over and someone like Ault stepping in. Of course, Roman made the jump from OC in college to OC in the pros, though he did have NFL experience as a position coach. Ault is a career college guy but a jump from college head coach to coordinator isn't impossible.
    Last edited by DerekRE_3; 12-30-2012 at 03:45 AM.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    I know i probably shouldn't bring it up and will get yelled at but I think it's interesting how Alex Smith has only thrown 27 more passes than Kaep and Smith 5 more TD passes. Seems like Alex should be more effient right now as far as that goes.

vCash
    I have no idea what you're saying.

#PoseyHugs #SanchezHugs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JCkrazzy View Post
    I know i probably shouldn't bring it up and will get yelled at but I think it's interesting how Alex Smith has only thrown 27 more passes than Kaep and Smith 5 more TD passes. Seems like Alex should be more effient right now as far as that goes.
    Literally the only thing Kap has on Smith (besides making a lot less money) is the deep ball, but not by much in my opinion. Everything else is either a wash or a deficiency. The future may be brighter with him (debatable still, and unknowable), though some indicators are there. Right now, this feels like a lost season to me. I would absolutely love to be wrong and surprised in the playoffs... I would gladly eat my words.

This must mean I am a Kap hater (or a Smith homer). This of course is in addition to being a die hard 'niner fan.

Gotta roll with it though as a fan. It is what it is.
    Last edited by dulcetpine; 12-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.

vCash
    Really wish people would stop comparing the two, the staff isn't going back to Smith, the season isn't a wash or over until we lose in the playoffs. The regular season means nothing once you make it to the playoffs, every fan knows this. Just because we're not the "IT" team this year people are acting like we have no chance. I'll say it right now that the loss of Justin Smith would mean more to this team than whoever is at QB right now, just to show how important Kap or Smith are when a DE/DT going down to injury means more than who is under center.

vCash
    Should get a good look at Celek today as I expect Davis to sit even tho he is "questionable" right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Really wish people would stop comparing the two, the staff isn't going back to Smith, the season isn't a wash or over until we lose in the playoffs. The regular season means nothing once you make it to the playoffs, every fan knows this. Just because we're not the "IT" team this year people are acting like we have no chance. I'll say it right now that the loss of Justin Smith would mean more to this team than whoever is at QB right now, just to show how important Kap or Smith are when a DE/DT going down to injury means more than who is under center.
    If you make a questionable change mid-season it is inevitable that the fans are going to incessantly compare the two until one of them is no longer on the roster (and even then it may persist for a season or two). Get used to it... If Kap were lighting it up or playing convincingly well enough to prove that the change was worth it then the comparisons would stop. He hasn't. So they continue.

Also, I didn't say the season 'was' definitely lost, I said it 'feels lost to me'... completely different, a totally subjective opinion of only one fan, and one who hopes they are completely wrong.

vCash
    lets Go NINERS, Vikings, Lambs, and Skins!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    If Roman left then I'd see Geep Chryst (QB coach) taking over and someone like Ault stepping in. Of course, Roman made the jump from OC in college to OC in the pros, though he did have NFL experience as a position coach. Ault is a career college guy but a jump from college head coach to coordinator isn't impossible.
    I would like to have either of our former OC's Marty Mornhinweg or Norv Turner. They will probably both be fired by the Eagles and Chargers, respectively.
    2014 PSD 7 RD NFL MOCK DRAFT
    TEXANS GM- WHITESOXGOD
    1st rd- Jadaveon Clowney, LB/DE, South Carolina
    1st rd (via trade)- Johnny Manziel, QB, TX A&M
    3rd rd- DaQuan Jones, NT, Penn State
    4th rd- Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    5th rd- Jon Halapio, OG, THE University of Florida
    5th rd (via trade)- Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
    6th rd- Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast