Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto?

vCash

Votto?

Votto question for anyone who can remember?

I know I am a Cards fan but serious question about Votto? Does anyone remember how the prospect writers rated him coming up through the Reds player development? A guy on another site and I are talking about how players who are considered among the best in the league generally are rated during their development. Some like Trout and Felix Hernandez are widely considered the top prospect in baseball. And go on to prove the high ranking. Where others like Pujols, Braun,Cueto werent viewed in anywhere that high..

Opinions? and thoughts?

vCash
    Votto was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2002 amateur draft. So obviously he was selected that high based upon some level of talent. Votto was in the Reds top 10 prospects the last year or two before being brought up to the big leagues. He was never the #1 prospect, that belonged to players like Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce at the time. I had a chance to see Votto play at AAA Louisville before being called up and there was no doubt in my mind that he had big league potential. Never thought for a second that he had MVP potential though. To answer your question, Votto was never touted within the organization or to Reds fans as a big time can't miss prospect like Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, and Billy Hamilton. That said, when he came to the Reds it was apparent fairly quick to most Reds fans that there was something different or special about Votto. He has a certain mindset and a distinct approach at the plate that only certain players possess (much like Pujols).

vCash
    Sparks, if I remember correctly, Votto came to Spring Training with a "chance" to win the first base job. My point being that there was no certainty that he was going to get the job.. He had just 20 plus games under his belt in 2007 going into his rookie season in 2008. In those 20 some games he batted .320 however in AAA he batted around .290. I remember some wondering about his production in minors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    Sparks, if I remember correctly, Votto came to Spring Training with a "chance" to win the first base job. My point being that there was no certainty that he was going to get the job.. He had just 20 plus games under his belt in 2007 going into his rookie season in 2008. In those 20 some games he batted .320 however in AAA he batted around .290. I remember some wondering about his production in minors.
    That is correct, he was sort of battling Scott Hatteberg who ended up being released by the Reds in June of 2008. Hatteberg was slumping and it seems to me he had a nagging injury in '08 (not sure on that). Anyway, Votto won the job easily and the rest is history (it wasn't much of a battle).

According to Baseball America in January 2007 Votto was rated as the Reds 3rd best prospect behind #1 Bailey and #2 Bruce. That ranking was based upon his outstanding 2006 season at AA. Here is what the scouting reports were saying at the time.

3. Joey Votto, 1B
    DOB: 9/10/83
    Height/Weight: 6-3/220
    Bats/Throws: L/R
    Draft: 2nd round, 2002, Canada HS
    What he did in 2006: .319/.408/.547 at Double-A
    The Good: Athletic first baseman combines solid hitting skills with plus power and patience. A rapidly improving defender after being drafted as a catcher and being tinkered with at third base.
    The Bad: Up-and-down minor league career leaves some wary of his breakout campaign, his power drops off against lefties, and he has a tendency to press at times.
    The Irrelevant: After stealing four bases in 2005 and 27 total in his four-year career entering 2006, Votto suddenly swiped 24 bags last year in 31 attempts.
    In A Perfect World, He Becomes: An above-average first baseman, but not upper echelon.
    Gap Between What He Is Now, And What He Can Be: Average. Votto's line at Double-A has no obvious weaknesses, but people still want to see if that's the real Votto, or if the one who hit .256/.330/.425 in 2005 is the real Votto; the truth lies somewhere in between. He'll start the year in Triple-A, but will hit the big leagues at some point next year.

Obviously that scouting report was off as Votto had only begun to tap into his talent. Lastly, in January 2008 Baseball America still ranked Votto as the Reds 3rd best prospect behind #1 Bruce and #2 Bailey who had swapped places on the list.

vCash
    Great stuff Sparks. When reading through your comments, its nice to see that we have a home grown base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    That is correct, he was sort of battling Scott Hatteberg who ended up being released by the Reds in June of 2008. Hatteberg was slumping and it seems to me he had a nagging injury in '08 (not sure on that). Anyway, Votto won the job easily and the rest is history (it wasn't much of a battle).

According to Baseball America in January 2007 Votto was rated as the Reds 3rd best prospect behind #1 Bailey and #2 Bruce. That ranking was based upon his outstanding 2006 season at AA. Here is what the scouting reports were saying at the time.

3. Joey Votto, 1B
    DOB: 9/10/83
    Height/Weight: 6-3/220
    Bats/Throws: L/R
    Draft: 2nd round, 2002, Canada HS
    What he did in 2006: .319/.408/.547 at Double-A
    The Good: Athletic first baseman combines solid hitting skills with plus power and patience. A rapidly improving defender after being drafted as a catcher and being tinkered with at third base.
    The Bad: Up-and-down minor league career leaves some wary of his breakout campaign, his power drops off against lefties, and he has a tendency to press at times.
    The Irrelevant: After stealing four bases in 2005 and 27 total in his four-year career entering 2006, Votto suddenly swiped 24 bags last year in 31 attempts.
    In A Perfect World, He Becomes: An above-average first baseman, but not upper echelon.
    Gap Between What He Is Now, And What He Can Be: Average. Votto's line at Double-A has no obvious weaknesses, but people still want to see if that's the real Votto, or if the one who hit .256/.330/.425 in 2005 is the real Votto; the truth lies somewhere in between. He'll start the year in Triple-A, but will hit the big leagues at some point next year.

Obviously that scouting report was off as Votto had only begun to tap into his talent. Lastly, in January 2008 Baseball America still ranked Votto as the Reds 3rd best prospect behind #1 Bruce and #2 Bailey who had swapped places on the list.
    Thats some good stuff! I found where in 2006 BA had Brandon Wood at #3 in all of baseball and Matt Kemp at #96... Wonder how that has turned out? lol
    Thanks for the reply..

vCash
    Thats crazy. Brandon Wood as 3 is funny.

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    Remember the Votto and Cueto/Bailey for Joe Blanton Trade rumor that P Doc was pushing...lol The A's would be alot better!
    Presenting the greatest announcing duo to grace the baseball world!

vCash
    I like how they said he would just be above average, and now he's one of the best players in the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic19 View Post
    Remember the Votto and Cueto/Bailey for Joe Blanton Trade rumor that P Doc was pushing...lol The A's would be alot better!
    I think I remember that

vCash
    I'm waiting for somebody to say how much money that would have saved the Reds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    I'm waiting for somebody to say how much money that would have saved the Reds.
    I hate fans who bi*** about money spent on this and that like it's their money. Who cares what someone elses money is spent on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgobrownies7 View Post
    I hate fans who bi*** about money spent on this and that like it's their money. Who cares what someone elses money is spent on.
    Ok I'm fine with that however don't $$$$% about money not spent. We shouldn't care how someone doesn't spend their money.
    I'm not talking about the Votto situation.

vCash
    I can agree about that if your saying people bi*****about cheap owners not spending money.

vCash
    When was this '07 or '08?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast