Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Wade Phillips a One-Year Wonder?

It seems the NFL has figured out Wade's D. Last year we were a healthy Schaub foot away from the Superbowl. Looks like such a shame because this D is just not the same. I fear they have already peaked, and Wade's tenure as D coordinator might be done after next year unless we draft several studs this offseason who turn this Defense around.

vCash
    Oh shut up, you're overreacting too much. You seem to be forgetting we lost Cushing for the year when the defense was allowing like one FG a game, and now Reed.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Yeah I might be overreacting but I'd still love for someone to provide their opinion or some genuine football insight into why this D is so much less effective than last year. We are now not even a top 15 D against the pass. We are in the bottom half of the league! Despite Kareem having an improved season, GQ having a very nice season IMO, and the young CB's with another year of exp. For all practical purposes, this D should have gotten better. But I think the NFL has caught up with what we do.

vCash
    They're playing the exact same as last year. We just didn't play manning stafford Rogers and Brady last year

vCash
    And Henne? And a 61 yd untouched TD today in an OBVIOUS passing situation!

vCash
    I totally disagree. We are playing with 2/4 linebackers that we started the season with, arguably our defensive MVP Brian Cushing has been out with a torn ACL for weeks now. Our safeties have been been up extremely bad too. Next year is when we will start seeing the peak and prime of our Texans football team. Hopefully we can stay healthy. To bash Wade Phillips for the amazing work he's done this year is stupid.

vCash
    Other than JJ Watt abusing people, I really don't see what "amazing work" you're talking about. The secondary sucks and other than Watt we have an average if not poor pass rush. Obviously he's an upgrade over any other D coordinator we've had, but he can't seem to figure out how to stop, or even slow down, an elite QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GSPftw View Post
    Other than JJ Watt abusing people, I really don't see what "amazing work" you're talking about. The secondary sucks and other than Watt we have an average if not poor pass rush. Obviously he's an upgrade over any other D coordinator we've had, but he can't seem to figure out how to stop, or even slow down, an elite QB.
    As I said, our linebackers are beat up and so are the safeties. If you want to bash anyone bash the front office for not giving Phillips more talent to work with at the LB spot. In a 3-4 set the inside linebackers are extremely important in pass protection. Bradie James and Sharpton are just slow as **** and are meant to be situational back ups and not starters. Brooks Reed and Brian Cushing are extremely missed.

vCash
    I see your point, and I know Cushing makes an impact all over so he is surely missed. But I'd say Reed was having a pedestrian season and likely won't make a big difference when he comes back.

vCash
    I see your point, and I know Cushing makes an impact all over so he is surely missed. But I'd say Reed was having a pedestrian season and likely won't make a big difference when he comes back.
    That's because Mercilus has been playing like a beast. We really need to get ILB depth in the upcoming draft. Same with Safeties. Those should be our main priorities in April. Hopefully Posey and Jean will be ready to step up next season so we can ditch that POS Walter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Oh shut up, you're overreacting too much. You seem to be forgetting we lost Cushing for the year when the defense was allowing like one FG a game, and now Reed.

we also had demeco, a healthy j-joe, a better brice mccain, a better barwin, and overall a stronger pass rush.

aside from jj none of our pass rushers have played with any sort of consistency.
    "It's a Namaste. It means respect. It just means, 'I see the God in you.' It's me paying my respect to the game of football."
    -Arian Foster

Thanks Dodgersuck

vCash
    I have a question for you guys.

What are your thoughts on Rick Dennison? I ask because it seems as though Lovie Smith may be on his way out in Chicago and Dennison was Cutler and Marshall's OC in Denver. I have been told he doesn't call any plays and Kubiak really does everything.

vCash
    Kubiak has had several different OC's since he's been here and the Offense has stayed largely the same, both in terms of philosophy and production, so it's difficult to say what impact they have had. And yeah Kubiak calls the offense.

vCash
    if I remember correctly, statistically, Wade's defenses take a step back in year 2.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    It seems the NFL has figured out Wade's D. Last year we were a healthy Schaub foot away from the Superbowl. Looks like such a shame because this D is just not the same. I fear they have already peaked, and Wade's tenure as D coordinator might be done after next year unless we draft several studs this offseason who turn this Defense around.
    From an outsiders perspective. You're being dramatic. What you have now is still 1,000 times better then what you had 2-3 years ago. You'll see steady improvement and if anything was a fluke it was how well the Houston Texans D played under Wade Philips scheme the first year in it. What they did last year was eye opening to the entire NFL fan community. What they're doing this year is still very good and yet you're still making posts like this.

~ * ~ MINISTER OF DEFENSE ~*~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast