19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Justin Verlander

9 47.37%
  • Miguel Cabrera

10 52.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JV or Miggy?

vCash
    I'll go JV because I like the Verlander/Fielder duo more than Cabrera/Fielder. Not really excited about Big Mig's longterm prospects at third unless one of them finally accepts being DH (likely Prince).

It's really tough to get an ace, we have a lot of #2/#3 starter types, but already 2 superstar bombers. Idunno, that's just how I look at it, hopefully it never comes down to that.

vCash
    I have to go JV. I just always like a player even more when they play their whole career on 1 team for some reason.
    Isaiah 40:30-31

vCash
    Yup. That will win you alot of ball games
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    Austin Jackson over both if he does what he did this past season and we can lock him up to a 10 year $150 million deal lol

vCash
    As much as I like JV, Miggy is more likely to perform longer. JV has a ton of innings on his arm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Does it matter? Both are Hall of Famers...as will Verlander be. He is the closest thing to Nolan Ryan the sport has seen since the Express. Ryan pitched 27 years...not saying that Verlander will also pitch 27 seasons, but I see no reason to think he cannot pitch as long as he wants. Verlander is as competitive as any ace that I have ever seen...similar in spirit to Nolan Ryan, Orel Hershiser, Jack Morris, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, etc, etc. Verlander is a true pitcher now and going forward will forever be. He has the ability to change his game and still be dominant.

I love Cabrera...I hate to see him go but I think that Verlander will pitch beyond his next contract. I am not sure that Cabrera will play, he will surely hit, beyond his next contract. Besides, Cabrera is paid to hit...as is Fielder...as is Martinez. It is great to have these types of hitters on the squad but unless MLB is changing the rules sometime soon...where do you put two DHs in 2015 and beyond? (Ahoda, I am playing devil's advocate here; I think that Cabrera can be an effective 1B into his late 30's if he decides to stay in shape).

I still choose Verlander if forced to make a choice.

Ahoda told me that I won't have to though, so this is a moot conversation.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Austin Jackson over both if he does what he did this past season and we can lock him up to a 10 year $150 million deal lol
    Too bad he hired Boras as his agent. He's gone in 3 or 4 years.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    So glad you added this comment in a JV or Miggy thread...so insightful. Thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Too bad he hired Boras as his agent. He's gone in 3 or 4 years.
    Nope. In 2 years, Garcia is our RF and cheap...and for as long as I have been alive the Tigers have spun a revolving door of nobodies through LF. We can afford one key piece in the OF and Jackson is that piece.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Nope. In 2 years, Garcia is our RF and cheap...and for as long as I have been alive the Tigers have spun a revolving door of nobodies through LF. We can afford one key piece in the OF and Jackson is that piece.
    If the Tigers resign JV and Miggy they won't be able to afford the $20 mill per that Jackson will command. Also, Boras doesn't advise his clients to resign and pretty much makes them hit FA. Once that happens the bidding gets insane. I know he was pissed when Weaver signed that extension with the Angels so cheaply.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    If the Tigers resign JV and Miggy they won't be able to afford the $20 mill per that Jackson will command. Also, Boras doesn't advise his clients to resign and pretty much makes them hit FA. Once that happens the bidding gets insane. I know he was pissed when Weaver signed that extension with the Angels so cheaply.
    I know you don't want me to say this but...I would much rather have Jackson at $20M per than Fielder at $22M per season. Just my opinion.

I know Boras' MO...I would try and sign Jackson to an extension now anyway. I have always felt in the back of my mind that Jackson would prefer to play on a team closer to home in Texas though. So you are probably right, I guess.

If you lose out on Jackson the offense goes stagnant...and Jackson is the best defender on the team. In my opinion, he is the best 2way player on the team. tbh, we don't have that many 2way MLB players (Avila, Cabrera, and Hunter; I put Dirks in a 4A category, with Garcia the next closest guy being added to the list).

vCash
    I agree with you on Jackson or Prince, but 4 years down the line no one will want Prince and his contract.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

Me and MTM

vCash
    I agree with you on Jackson or Prince, but 4 years down the line no one will want Prince and his contract.
    True.

Dammit.

vCash
    If this is what it comes down to I would trade Cabrera (along with Scherzer) after next season. We can't move Prince and we don't have another ace to replace Verlander, we also have multiple other guys getting big raises here soon, to me it's the obvious move. This is of course assuming Jackson has another really good year.

vCash
    I was thinking about it, and contract demands have become rediculous over the last couple of years. Owners will not stand for these contracts. When you need to pay 80 million for Anibal Sanchez, the league has a problem. I would imagine that within the next couple of years, things may change. And I really hope this is the case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast