Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Underrated movies of the past 3 years.

Devil - I cannot say enough about this movie. The story, while not all sunshine and lollipops, is as well told and sequenced as you will get. Everyone delivers a solid acting job. The twist is extremely well done even after multiple viewing. The ending is completely organic the way the movie plays out. Sucks that the movie was completely dismissed because of the big name attached to the project. Watch it, watch it twice, and then watch it again.

Chronicle - Another really dark movie that completely caught me off guard for how good it is. This is the best superhero movie of the past decade after The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Spider Man 2.

Rum Diaries - I heard "boring" tagged to it. I thought it's only problem is that people are used to the Hunter S. Thompson of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and other lore, and not the quasi-romantic he was. Plus, there's plenty of drinking in this one, and Amber Heard is legitimately one of those Hollywood girls that holds up to being called beautiful.

The Innkeepers - Ti West is a really good young director, and the Innkeepers is another strong outing. Great buildup and the ending is really creepy.

The Other Guys - I love this movie. It's hilarious.

Casa De mi Padre - I love this movie. It's hilarious.

Drag Me to Hell - Old school Sam Raimi movie made in 2009. Better than the more hyped Insidious.

The Woman in Black - Radcliffe is another great young actor, and this is another remake that tops the original.

Not in the past 3 years but I want to put out there anyway:

Zodiac - A masterpiece. Probably the best movie Fincher has ever made. Probably not underrated - the movie seems to be adored online - but no one calls it one of their favorites. I haven't even seen it since it came out and I still remember how creeped out I was when Gylenhaal's character had to go down into that one guy's basement.

Charlie Barlett - Yelchin might be my favorite up and coming actor out there. Really charming movie with a STAR STUDDED cast including Big **** McGee and Downey Jr. Fright Night is another one of those remakes that does it right that the Yelchin guy is in.

Pineapple Express - The. Best. Stoner. Movie. Ever. No contest.

Now that I have written all this I regret it, but perhapssome good new movies are mentioned. I watched a shitload of movies in 2012.

vCash
    Pineapple Express is definitely underrated in the fact that it doesn't get the mentions along with other great comedies.. because it definitely is amazing.

You made some bold statements, though. Chronicle better than Batman Begins, The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises? I thought it was absolute garbage.

Zodiac as Fincher's best flick? I agree in the idea that it's underrated, but it's nowhere near Fight Club or Se7en.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1315981/

My picks.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Devil I can agree with. There was some extremely cheesy stuff in it, but as a whole it was pretty good.

Chronicle I cannot agree with. Found footage is not film making, it is rubbish.

Rum Diaries I agree with. It was slow, but not boring.

The Innkeepers I definitely agree with. One of the best slow-burners I've ever seen, and one of the best horror FILMS of recent years.

The Other Guys wasn't bad. Haven't seen Casa, Bartlett or Woman in Black (I cannot disassociate Daniel Radcliffe from Harry Potter unfortunately as I'm sure it's a good performance and a good film).

Zodiac I agree, but not Fincher's best. Still, very underrated.

Pineapple Express is a very funny film, so I agree there as well.

Drag me to Hell was too... Eh, I don't know how to explain it. I think it could have been much better, and I think the bit with the goat could have been much better.

As far as my own list, I'm too out of it to think about it. The only one I can think of is Dredd right now because it's so fresh, and Dredd was definitely one of the best action movies I've seen in a long, long time. It reminded of the golden age of action, which took place in the 80's.

vCash
    I'll go with Batman Begins, but **** the other two. I haaaaaaaaaaated The Avengers movie.

Zodiac isn't as easy to rewatch as Fight Club or Se7en (which is the better of the two for me), but that is it's only flaw in comparison. I actually consider Fight Club one of the most overrated movies of all time. Zodiac is probably one of the hardest great movies to watch twice ever. I saw it once, in the theatre, and still remember just being in awe the whole time. The daytime murder? The visit to the shop where his prime suspect works...I just loved everything about that movie.

I like A Single Man alot too. Julianne Moore gets none of the hype Meryl Streep does (where did that even come from? It just happened one day), but I think she's one of the best.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-25-2012 at 03:36 AM.

vCash
    If we're just talking the last few years:

Winter's Bone
    Animal Kingdom
    Hanna
    Win Win
    I Love You, Man
    Away We Go
    The Road

vCash
    The Last Exorcism is criminally underrated.

I felt Burn After Reading was excellent.

I'll agree with Drag Me To Hell, mainly because it doesn't get regarded as a spiritual successor to The Evil Dead franchise, and it really is. A lot of the same mojo. This and Spiderman are the only halfway decent films Raimi has made since Darkman.

I really liked District 9.

Big fan of Deathproof and most people hate it.

Innkeepers is definitely underrated. Ti West is underrated.

I liked The Other Guys. Will Ferrell always steals the show.

I haven't seen Zodiac in a while but i hated it at the time. I think Fincher is a tad bit overrated. I enjoy his movies, but not like that. Fight Club is pretty cool, but i think Se7en is one of most chilling films i've seen.

And OMG The Amazing Spiderman was unreal!!! Best superhero flick imo since Batman Begins.

vCash
    Drive

and

We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Two of the most underrated ever.
    I'm In.

vCash
    I'll say Warrior wass underrated. It was pretty fantastic.

And that new Spiderman movie was probably the worst comic book movie since Daredevil.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    And that new Spiderman movie was probably the worst comic book movie since Daredevil.
    lol yaz right

vCash
    Drag Me To Hell was a hit or miss film from people I've talked too. I really loved the movie but that's because I'm a huge Raimi, and Evil Dead fan. If you haven't seen those before you might not like Drag Me To Hell.

Devil wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, at least to me. I still don't think it was anything special though.

Catches: 23 Yards: 210 TDs: 1

vCash
    Hanna really was a good movie...Liked it alot.

I was going to put District 9 on this list. Like Zodiac, it's highly regarded by critics and everyone if you mention it, but no one wants to re-watch it or put it on their favorites. Another movie that I only watched once, in the theatres, and left stunned by how much I liked it.

I hated it with a passion as well.

We Need to Talk About Kevin.
    Another one I was going to throw on the list. I think uncomfortable movies are the ones most likely to land on this list, and this one is another uncomfortable watch.

Big fan of Deathproof and most people hate it.
    Love this one as well. Both the Grindhouse movies were really fun to me, and I love Machete as well.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Drag Me To Hell, in my eyes, wasn't really a good movie, but...

----------SPOILER----------

it ended the way a horror movie should end - getting dragged to hell by demons. And for that, I don't give it a full thumbs down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Hanna really was a good movie...Liked it alot.

I was going to put District 9 on this list. Like Zodiac, it's highly regarded by critics and everyone if you mention it, but no one wants to re-watch it or put it on their favorites. Another movie that I only watched once, in the theatres, and left stunned by how much I liked it.

I hated it with a passion as well.

Another one I was going to throw on the list. I think uncomfortable movies are the ones most likely to land on this list, and this one is another uncomfortable watch.

Love this one as well. Both the Grindhouse movies were really fun to me, and I love Machete as well.
    Absolutely love that film. I'm a huge Danny Trejo and Robert De Niro fan so that was awesome to see them in another film together. The first since Heat I believe.

Catches: 23 Yards: 210 TDs: 1

vCash
    Drag Me to Hell was ****ing brilliant. As was Warrior.
    I'm In.

vCash
    I actually felt the skateboarding scene in The Amazing Spiderman was more enjoyable than all 9 hours of TDKR.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast