Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.A Dickey

vCash

R.A Dickey

Ok, so Greinke is gone. Shields is gone. The chances of acquiring another legitimate ACE have pretty much gone up in smoke for this offseason. I think Daniels will now turn his attention to R.A. Dickey. Here is the latest I have heard on the Dickey rumors.

Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that there has been "modest progress" in extension talks between R.A. Dickey and the Mets since the end of the Winter Meetings.
    Martino says the Rangers are willing to trade prospect Mike Olt for Dickey, but that the Mets are holding out for more. If that's the case then it's hard to see a trade happening, as it's doubtful New York can do any better. Though it could certainly still go either way, there appears to be more momentum for a Dickey extension than a trade. Dec 9 - 2:12 PM
    What are everyone's thoughts on Dickey? His age is up there, and he is coming off one good season late in his career. Is he seen as another Ryan Dempster? Or is he really that ACE that can eat innings and you want to throw out there when you need him most?

My personal opinion? The Rangers will wind up trading for him. As it stands right now there really are absolutely no other legitimate options. I wouldn't have a problem with Olt for him, but giving up much more seems like a bit of a reach. Not to mention we would have to sign him to a contract extension anyway probably.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    I really dont want to give up even just Olt for Dickey, if Olt can adjust to the majors then I think he can makeup for some of the offense we have lost so far. And I am also not a fan of trading for a pitcher coming from the NL to pitch in the AL, look how Dempster turned out for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    Ok, so Greinke is gone. Shields is gone. The chances of acquiring another legitimate ACE have pretty much gone up in smoke for this offseason. I think Daniels will now turn his attention to R.A. Dickey. Here is the latest I have heard on the Dickey rumors.

What are everyone's thoughts on Dickey? His age is up there, and he is coming off one good season late in his career. Is he seen as another Ryan Dempster? Or is he really that ACE that can eat innings and you want to throw out there when you need him most?

My personal opinion? The Rangers will wind up trading for him. As it stands right now there really are absolutely no other legitimate options. I wouldn't have a problem with Olt for him, but giving up much more seems like a bit of a reach. Not to mention we would have to sign him to a contract extension anyway probably.

My thought is RA Dickey is one step up from the aging and worthless clown Texas brought in last year.

The bigger thought is our front office either doesn't have a clue starting with Daniels or our ownership is happy living off of recent past history- or both.

Unless something drastically changes, I am seeing another Ranger melt down. It is just happening in the front office instead of the field this time

vCash
    Look as a Mets fan I will tell you guys that Dickie is everything you would want as a starter and more. He has the ability to pitch more often than most starters because of the way he throws (knuckleball) and he can go deeper in games than most pitchers because of his style. This has a big effect on your team because the bullpin will be used less and he will allow you to use a young pitcher as your 5th guy and let him learn with a safety net of the bullpin because Dickie can pick up the slack. He is a gamer and will battle every time on the mound even without his best stuff. He won 20 with no offense and no bullpin help! Trust me you will not regret getting him...I would rather keep him but it seems that the Mets don't want to pay him so good luck with him!
    Tebow Makes us all pray now!

vCash
    The Mets want Olt and Martin.

The Rangers seem content in trading just Olt.

Thats what I am hearing right now.

The Mets don't seem too desperate to trade Dickey though, and are likely to extend him to 2 years with an option for a 3rd year for a total of about $35-40 mil if they can't get the deal they want. So, I doubt they trade Dickey unless they get on the closer end to what they are demanding.

Dickey straight up for Olt is probably a fair deal, but the Mets hold all the cards here, so adding in Martin might be a must for Texas to get this done.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    People need to stop looking at Dickey's age. Niekro, Wakefield and Hough (all knuckleballers) pitched well into their latter years.

That said, I wouldn't give up our #2 prospect + for a guy that we might have under team control for a year or two. I also don't completely trust knuckleballers in our ballpark.

Dickey is an exceptional pitcher, but I won't be at all happy if I see him in a Rangers uniform at the expense of our top prospects.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    I'd rather sign Lohse!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    The Mets want Olt and Martin.

The Rangers seem content in trading just Olt.

Thats what I am hearing right now.

The Mets don't seem too desperate to trade Dickey though, and are likely to extend him to 2 years with an option for a 3rd year for a total of about $35-40 mil if they can't get the deal they want. So, I doubt they trade Dickey unless they get on the closer end to what they are demanding.

Dickey straight up for Olt is probably a fair deal, but the Mets hold all the cards here, so adding in Martin might be a must for Texas to get this done.
    I'd give the Mets Olt and Engel Beltre. Beltre has the same talent level as Martin but is more of a headcase with work ethic questions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    People need to stop looking at Dickey's age. Niekro, Wakefield and Hough (all knuckleballers) pitched well into their latter years.

That said, I wouldn't give up our #2 prospect + for a guy that we might have under team control for a year or two. I also don't completely trust knuckleballers in our ballpark.

Dickey is an exceptional pitcher, but I won't be at all happy if I see him in a Rangers uniform at the expense of our top prospects.
    I agree with most everything you stated. While Dickey appears to be a fine knuckleballer, his longevity is no guarantee despite Hough or Niekro which he is not. Taken that fact, in conjunction with what appears to be the Mets desire for our top tier guys, I wouldn't even consider it. Nor would I consider Andrus for Upton for that matter.

Clearly, Texas has found themselves behind the 8 ball yet again with no front line pitcher, losing pieces of their core and no clear direction.

Daniels is over rated and underwhelming at best right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post

Wakefield "pitched well into [his] later years"? He didn't put up a FIP below 4.07 after the age of 35. When he did put up a solid W-L record it was because of run support, not because he pitched well.

And don't you think hitters these days are a little smarter and more disciplined than when Niekro and Hough were pitching? How can you possibly compare contemporary hitters with hitters from a totally different era?

And if knuckleballers were so great, how come minor and major-league pitching coaches in every organization aren't trying to introduce the pitch into the repertoire of every prospect/starter they possible can? Knuckleballers these days are novelty acts. Wakefield proved you can succeed for a little while against contemporary hitters but then they start to catch on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    ...no clear direction.

Daniels is over rated and underwhelming at best right now.
    Lol, lose out on Greinke and Shields and all of a sudden Daniels is "overrated and underwhelming". Re: Greinke, here's a thought: a signing involves the consent of two parties. Maybe, just maybe, the Rangers made a great offer to Greinke and he CHOSE LAD, so it's his "fault" too, right? You use the same logic people use when their team loses: "We gave the game away" or "If we didn't make so many mistakes we would have won." It's never "Maybe the other team outplayed us." Zero thought is given to the fact that there's another party involved in the outcome. Why do people think it's so simple - make an offer to a player and he automatically comes here like he's a little doggie? Everyone thought Cliff Lee would choose either us or the Yanks, then the Phillies jump in and win and shockingly there are reasons Lee chose the Phils that go beyond money and length of contract. But yeah, nevermind all that. Just make an offer to someone and they'll jump on it because apparently they're stupid robots with zero willpower. If they don't, it's all our fault. Just pathetically stupid simplistic reasoning.

Rangers fans are spoiled brats now who expect things to automatically come to us just because we're the Rangers. No gratitude to the FO for recent successes, e.g. you know, the getting to the WS twice in a row which is near impossible, the development of one of the best farm systems there is, the shelling out of $111 million for Darvish, etc. It's all "What have you done for me lately". With fans like this etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
    Lol, lose out on Greinke and Shields and all of a sudden Daniels is "overrated and underwhelming". Re: Greinke, here's a thought: a signing involves the consent of two parties. Maybe, just maybe, the Rangers made a great offer to Greinke and he CHOSE LAD, so it's his "fault" too, right? You use the same logic people use when their team loses: "We gave the game away" or "If we didn't make so many mistakes we would have won." It's never "Maybe the other team outplayed us." Zero thought is given to the fact that there's another party involved in the outcome. Why do people think it's so simple - make an offer to a player and he automatically comes here like he's a little doggie? Everyone thought Cliff Lee would choose either us or the Yanks, then the Phillies jump in and win and shockingly there are reasons Lee chose the Phils that go beyond money and length of contract. But yeah, nevermind all that. Just make an offer to someone and they'll jump on it because apparently they're stupid robots with zero willpower. If they don't, it's all our fault. Just pathetically stupid simplistic reasoning.

Rangers fans are spoiled brats now who expect things to automatically come to us just because we're the Rangers. No gratitude to the FO for recent successes, e.g. you know, the getting to the WS twice in a row which is near impossible, the development of one of the best farm systems there is, the shelling out of $111 million for Darvish, etc. It's all "What have you done for me lately". With fans like this etc...
    Orrrrr it could be that we refuse to go over 5 years for a pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeTradedWHO? View Post
    Orrrrr it could be that we refuse to go over 5 years for a pitcher.
    Exactly, because of Nolan, it's annoying as hell. Nolan is so picky on his pitchers and contracts, this franchise will never acquire a quality free agent in their prime with everything they've shown so far with this ownership group.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

vCash

Keep laughing clown.

IF- you bothered looking at any of the very few posts I've made, I stated quite clearly that I did not think Grienke was worth his asking price. Greinke is not at issue IMO.

Spoiled brats? Really? After 40 years? I have been to many, many Ranger games starting at age 6 when Frank Howard was with the team. So waiting 40 years for a legitimate contender is hardly spoiled. Waiting and supporting a team for 40 years is hardly spoiled.

WS twice in a row nearly impossible? It is? Perhaps you overlooked the...

10 teams that have won back-to-back World Series such as the
    Toronto Blue Jays (1992-93), New York Yankees (1977-78), Cincinnati Reds (1975-76), New York Yankees (1961-62), Philadelphia A's (1929-1930), New York Yankees (1927-28), New York Giants (1921-22), Boston Red Sox (1915-16), Philadelphia A's (1910-11), and Chicago Cubs (1907-08).

That would be 10 teams which is just under 30 % of the teams which comprise today's MLB.

Do you fact check or just spew stupid?

Then again most presumption is typically based upon arrogance or stupidity- which it appears you qualify on both accounts.

I apologize to the other posters but I didn't know Bozo the Clown posted on these boards....

Just wow....
    Last edited by waveone; 12-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.

vCash

Part of being a fan is rooting for your team with emotion, not just logic. The fans on this forum are particularly passionate and you can tell by the overreaction to losing streaks, injuries, and of course any roster changes. The Greinke signing hurts of course, I think we all wanted this move to happen, but deep down we also know that this won't break the franchise or seriously affect how the team performs in 2013. We just need some time to calm down. If you'd have been on the forum for long enough, you'd have realized this as Rangers fans simply being Rangers fans and went on about your day. Instead, you made a pretty insulting and close-minded post that simultaneously attacked pretty much every poster in here. All I gotta say to you is good luck, you've got a shitstorm coming your way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast