Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Phone Call B/w Buddies Melo and Kobe May Have Turned the Tide in New York

On the Eve of these 2 guys going at it against each other, I thought this was a nice story.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...point-for-melo

It was a phone call between friends.

One one end of the line: Five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant.

On the other end: Carmelo Anthony, frustrated and a bit overwhelmed in the fishbowl of New York.

Bryant sensed something was amiss with Anthony during the 2012 All-Star Weekend -- in the midst of Linsanity -- so he reached out to his friend and fellow Olympian, sharing advice with Anthony that may have changed the course of this New York Knicks season.

Bryant, in New York earlier this month, recalled his conversation with Anthony and the circumstances surrounding it.

"Everybody said, 'Well, they're better without Carmelo,' and all this nonsense," Bryant said. "You guys really put the hammer on him, and as a result, he kind of got a little gun shy and a little self-conscious about things.

"I asked him, 'What's going on? What the hell are you doing?' I said, 'Do what you do best.'"

What transpired this season in the first 27 games has been well-documented: Anthony, who returned from the Olympics in peak condition, is a more willing passer and has thrived on mismatches at power forward. He has also improved his shot selection and routinely given an honest day's effort on the defensive end.

As a result, he is an early-season contender for MVP and the leader of a Knicks team carrying a 20-7 record into their Christmas Day showdown with Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers.

Last week, Anthony recalled the conversation he had with Bryant.

"He was just like, 'What's wrong? You know you're not healthy. Just make sure you get healthy and come back and do what you've got to do. Try not to worry about what's going on, what's being said and just play basketball,'" Anthony said. "'You know what you can do. You know what you're capable of. Go from there.'

"At that point in time it was something that was good to hear, especially coming from a guy like that."

It's easy to forget, but at the time of the conversation, Anthony was seen by some as the bad guy in a drama unfolding nightly at Madison Square Garden.

Jeremy Lin had emerged off the end of the bench to lift the floundering Knicks to seven straight wins -- all while Anthony was sidelined with a groin injury.

Along the way, Lin became an international phenomenon. Some wondered aloud whether Anthony's return would ruin what Lin had established. Anthony reportedly was put off by the idea that he had to fit in with Lin.

"Last year was a very tough year for everybody due to injuries, due to the shortened season with the lockout," Anthony said earlier this season. "As far as mentally, it was a drain for everybody."

Anthony and Lin teamed up in the starting lineup for 17 games before Lin suffered a season-ending knee injury. Anthony led the Knicks to the playoffs.

Lin, of course, is in Houston now and Anthony is surrounded by players such as Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton, who seem to complement him well.

Entering play Tuesday, Anthony is averaging 28.3 points and connecting on a career-high 43.7 percent of his threes. His production thus far led Bryant to refer to him as the toughest cover on the planet -- over LeBron James.

"Melo does it all and he's as strong as a bull," Bryant said told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith earlier this month, before the Knicks-Lakers game in New York. "I weigh [180 pounds] soaking wet. Going up against that bull, man, it's fun but it's extremely challenging."

That challenge will be front and center on Tuesday. According to Elias, it will be just the third time in league history that the NBA's top two scorers match up on Christmas Day.

"It's a big game. A big game for us, big game for the league, big game for basketball," Anthony said.

It's even bigger because Anthony's playing the best basketball of his 10-year career, thanks in part to a phone call from Kobe.

vCash
    Melo and Kobe duels have always been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b@llhog24 View Post
    Melo and Kobe duels have always been fun.
    Controlling Melo in the 09 WCF was nightmarish for us llullz. I still regard that season (08-09) as Melo best season yet. Chauncey really helped him grow that yr. And I think it helps him having JKidd to hopefully finish that growth process for him so that Melo can be a superstar to be talked about for yrs to come in the same sentence as a James, Durant, Paul and Rose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB-Pau-DH2012 View Post
    Controlling Melo in the 09 WCF was nightmarish for us llullz. I still regard that season (08-09) as Melo best season yet. Chauncey really helped him grow that yr. And I think it helps him having JKidd to hopefully finish that growth process for him so that Melo can be a superstar to be talked about for yrs to come in the same sentence as a James, Durant, Paul and Rose.
    Melo said in an interview a few weeks ago with Stephen A. Smith that Jason Kidd is honestly the best teammate he's ever had. Melo's maturing and is hitting his prime. Players like Kidd are teaching him the importance of the word team and being unselfish.
    The Future!

vCash
    Im sick and tired of everyone saying Melo is the best player on the Knicks. NEWSFLASH! Hes not.......... We all know Ronnie Brewer is the heart and sole of that team. HE is New York. Whenever u think about New York, think Ronnie BREWER!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusWears24 View Post
    Im sick and tired of everyone saying Melo is the best player on the Knicks. NEWSFLASH! Hes not.......... We all know Ronnie Brewer is the heart and sole of that team. HE is New York. Whenever u think about New York, think Ronnie BREWER!
    JesusWears24. You are so dumb. You are really dumb. They climbin' in yo windows snatchin' yo people up.

Hide ya kids, hide yo wife.

vCash
    Ummm ok.
    The Future!

8. 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM

9. 12-25-2012, 01:50 AM

vCash
    I had a phone conversation with Melo before the season started. When will ESPN publish an article about that?

11. 12-25-2012, 02:13 AM

vCash
    kobe has always pulled for melo

vCash
    What is wrong with this guy?

14. 12-25-2012, 08:00 AM

vCash
    Yeah I don't really think this Kobe conversation turned his career around ... It has so much more to do with the fact that Melo started the season 100% healthy and in phenomenal shape. The 2nd biggest impact on his change has been the people surrounding him like Woodson, Kidd, Chandler, etc.

vCash
    Looks like they forgot to add 95% of the conversation where they laughed at how bad D'Antoni's coaching abilities are.

Sorry someone had to say it.

17. 12-25-2012, 09:59 AM

vCash
    Wow I get another infraction for making a joke, sorry if I insulted anyone.