Pirates Trade Joel Hanrahan

You can read the details at Pirates Prospects

It is:

Joel Hanrahan, Brock Holt
    for
    Mark Melancon, Jerry Sands, Stolmy Pimentel, Ivan De Jesus
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I like it more than I thought I would. Losing Holt isn't a huge loss. I figured De Jesus had a decent shot to get some playing time with the Sox this year, and he can probably be as solid of a utility man as Holt.

I convinced myself, and it really wasn't hard to do so, that Joel was in for some serious regression this year. Some of his peripherals were a bit unsettling to say the least.

Sands I'm on the fence about, and Pimentel hasn't been a formidable prospect in a while. But I'm excited about Melancon. Hopefully he can regain his Astro's form. He's much more than a throw in here. Melancon in 2011 was as good, probably better even, than Hanrahan was last year. I don't think, watching him somewhat regularly last year, that it's unreasonable to think he'll rebound well again.

I really truly have no idea what to expect from Sands. I guess we'll find out.

vCash
    Based on years of control, Melancon for Hanrahan straight up is a win for the Pirates. I think Melancon might be a little bit of a head case that was intimidated by being in the AL East. Getting back to the NL Central could lead to some great numbers. Holt might have a little better bat than De Jesus, but his range prevents him from playing an adequate SS like De Jesus.

I think this is a clear win for the Bucs. Sands and Pimental are just gravy. Only question now is, who saves and who sets up?

vCash
    Melancon really didn't pitch bad for the Red Sox. He had a HR problem for his first few outings and then settled in and performed rather well. His numbers other than ERA were either similar or better than Hanrahan's.

Pimentel is really just a throw in though he does give me an interesting arm to watch in Altoona besides Taillon and Sadler. Holt for De Jesus was just a move to clear a 40 man spot I think and as you said Holt has the better bat but De Jesus is the better fielder and can play a little SS. Sands is the wild card for me as I'm not really sure where he fits. A platoon of Snider/Sands in RF could be intriguing but then Tabata is out and if the Pirates were to trade him now they would be selling him extremely low.

vCash

Joel Hanrahan Trade Analysis

Full Trade Analysis here

Also a profile for each of the three minor leaguers that came over in the trade (+ Andy Oliver from the Tigers-Pirates trade)

Jerry Sands
    Stolmy Pimentel
    Ivan DeJesus
    Andy Oliver

Enjoy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Melancon really didn't pitch bad for the Red Sox. He had a HR problem for his first few outings and then settled in and performed rather well. His numbers other than ERA were either similar or better than Hanrahan's.

Pimentel is really just a throw in though he does give me an interesting arm to watch in Altoona besides Taillon and Sadler. Holt for De Jesus was just a move to clear a 40 man spot I think and as you said Holt has the better bat but De Jesus is the better fielder and can play a little SS. Sands is the wild card for me as I'm not really sure where he fits. A platoon of Snider/Sands in RF could be intriguing but then Tabata is out and if the Pirates were to trade him now they would be selling him extremely low.
    I like Melancon. His career K/BB ratio is better than Hanrahan's and it was double as good as the Hammer's last year, despite the massive ERA difference. People say he can't pitch in high leverage situations, but I don't buy it. I fully expect Melancon to be way more valuable than Hanrahan (mainly due to the years of control) but he could be better next year and I wouldn't blink. To me, it's kinda two trades. Melancon for Hanrahan, which I think is a slight win then Holt for Sands, Pimentel, and De Jesus, which probably won't amount to much in the long run, but is a massive win on paper.

Love the trade kinda in a vacuum, but who know's what Hanrahan would have fetched 6, 12, or 18 months ago. Still, considering the current context, very good trade in my book.

vCash
    This is probably not the correct place to do it Cutch but what are your thoughts about Tabata? I seem to be in a rather small minority here (basically just me) in that I really like him and I think trading him now would be a big mistake. I mean I've probably written this 100 times on this forum but he had a .362 OBP from June on. The Pirates just can't simply ignore something like that no matter what his other numbers were.

Also even further off topic but I hope you participate in our 2nd annual PSD Pirates fan of the Season contest this year. It pretty much is just a predicition challenge where you guess how the Pirates players are going to perform over the course of the season and on a monthly basis. Tomahawk27 is our defending champ as he beat me in Game 162 with Travis Snider's 9th inning single.

Edit: In case you are interesting here is a link to the final results
    Last edited by burgh_fan66; 01-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Yeah and don't you forget it mwahahah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    This is probably not the correct place to do it Cutch but what are your thoughts about Tabata? I seem to be in a rather small minority here (basically just me) in that I really like him and I think trading him now would be a big mistake. I mean I've probably written this 100 times on this forum but he had a .362 OBP from June on. The Pirates just can't simply ignore something like that no matter what his other numbers were.

Also even further off topic but I hope you participate in our 2nd annual PSD Pirates fan of the Season contest this year. It pretty much is just a predicition challenge where you guess how the Pirates players are going to perform over the course of the season and on a monthly basis. Tomahawk27 is our defending champ as he beat me in Game 162 with Travis Snider's 9th inning single.

Edit: In case you are interesting here is a link to the final results
    I like Tabata. I think he has good OBP skills and solid defense. Probably will never hit double digit HR's. I'd like to see us put him in a position to regain trade value and move him (and Presley) as both can legitimately play CF, at least according to reports I've read. We're just so incredibly deep in the OF

Cutch
    Snider
    Sands
    Presley
    Sands
    Marte
    Polanco
    Barnes
    Bell
    Garcia
    Ramirez
    Escobar