• Don't care

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Browns fire Shurmur, Heckert.

Report: Browns will fire Shurmur, Heckert after Sunday’s game

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2012, 8:40 PM EST

AP
    Browns coach Pat Shurmur and General Manager Tom Heckert have been viewed as goners for months. It will soon become official.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the decision has already been made to fire Shurmur and Heckert after Sunday’s finale against the Steelers.

New Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said in November that he’d make his decision on Shurmur and Heckert’s fates quickly at the end of the season, and it appears that what that actually means is he has already made his decision and he will announce it quickly at the end of the season.

Up next, Haslam and his handpicked CEO, Joe Banner, will turn their attention to finding a new coach and general manager as they attempt to revive a franchise that is about to close out its 11th consecutive season out of the playoffs.
    roto

props to Bee for the sig!!

vCash
    sad to see heckert go, he's done very well and the Browns will be making a big mistake letting him go. glad shurmur is leaving. I really wanted him to finish strong but he's just too bad.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    I think what will kill Heckert is that he failed to pull the trigger to get Julio Jones and RG3 and the fact new owners what "their own guys".

vCash

first post

First time poster long time follower. disabled vet with all the time in the world now that I'm out of the army. I respect everyone's opinions and look forward to sharing my ideas with all of you.

So here goes my first post.

I welcome the firings at first I was hesitant on the Heckert part but is what it is. Shurmur was in over his head and very conservative. Heckert was good but some of the moves made on draft day I shook my head over granted who really knows who was controlling the war room those days. Losing on Julio Jones. not trading up for RG3. Trading back into the 1st for a 29 year old qb. although I must say I like Weeden but the age thing that really bothers me.I really hope we keep the dc and maybe make some minor changes to the d to help but overall I like the d just need a few DB's and a strong pass rusher to compliment Sheard.

I have seen a lot of talk about Mcdaniels, everyone hated on him after his first two seasons with the broncos, not doing much with St Louis and finally finding his way back to the Patriots. I think after finding his way back to BB and possibly some mentorship I'm sure Mcdaniels will be a better HC in the future as long as you don't give him full control.

Saban I highly doubt is moving to the NFL.... Lombardi ha please do not bring this guy in I wanted to reach through my tv and choke him over the comments he made... Chip Kelly I would like to see but not right away as a HC.

I know there were other candidates that all of you have mentioned but I do not really know enough about them to really make my claims.

In my head this is just me thinking here like most of you guys do I would like to see Mcdaniels as HC as long as like i mentioned the FO keeps tight control on him just being a HC and nothing more, try to lure Chip Kelly to come in and run as the OC Mcdaniels and kelly together would be scary IMO. Keep Jauron as DC. hold onto Weeden (which I doubt will happen) for one more season seeing as there are no viable QBs in the draft. trade down in the draft to pick up a 2nd round pick and go for a Keenan Allen in the 1st if he is there if not take the best player pick up Robert Woods in the second if they can not get Allen in the first and go D the rest of the way in the draft then maybe spend a little in the FA finding a guard and spot the d up with what they can......

vCash
    First off thanks for everything you did for our coutry as it is much appreciated!!!! 2nd welcome to the forum!! It's nice to have new people to add their imputs on everything and I can't wait to talk Browns the whole offseason and draft leading to the next season!!

vCash
    I'm very happy to see Shurmur go. He's been awful for us, no reason to want him around any longer. Heckert on the other hand has done a nice job. I'm sad to see him go, but understand the move. I'm not going to be too angry about him leaving as long as we replace him with a qualified candidate. If Lombardi is brought in as GM I'll rage. It's certainly going to be an interesting next few weeks though.

vCash
    I am swiss on the move to fire both until I see what they do to replace them...in the past I have been all about a move that they have made only to see them replace Eric Mangini with Pat Shurmur...or replace Romeo Crennel with Eric Mangini.

Pat Shurmur HAS to go. Heckert has 2 blips on his Cleveland resume that go hard against him...basically trading Julio Jones for Brandon Weeden and not pulling the trigger to get RGIII (assuming that the general manager WAS in charge of those decisions).

From all I have heard about Mike Lombardi....I would rather keep Heckert, but if they are able to find someone better, I am fine with it as well. What I mainly want is a charismatic head coach that can get this offense turned around while showing a willingness to step on people's throats when he has a lead rather than trying to preserve the lead...each regime since 1999 has had that problem, they get a lead and have no idea what to do to make sure that it holds up...losing close game after close game. The only thing you can do in the NFL to make sure that your lead holds up is to continue to build it.

Give me a coach with a pair and I will be happy!

vCash
    Does it really matter, i like the browns used to drive down from toronto to a game in cleveland once a year. Great city to visit , amazing loyal fans who deserve better.
    Once saw a guy go into the Dog pound wearing an opponents jersey and have security save him and come out in nothing haha.
    I dont know what they can do to make this team better every year the draft talented players but nothing ever seems to change. Head scratcher hope they can turn it around. GO BROWNS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogpoundjoe22 View Post
    First time poster long time follower. disabled vet with all the time in the world now that I'm out of the army. I respect everyone's opinions and look forward to sharing my ideas with all of you.

So here goes my first post.

I welcome the firings at first I was hesitant on the Heckert part but is what it is. Shurmur was in over his head and very conservative. Heckert was good but some of the moves made on draft day I shook my head over granted who really knows who was controlling the war room those days. Losing on Julio Jones. not trading up for RG3. Trading back into the 1st for a 29 year old qb. although I must say I like Weeden but the age thing that really bothers me.I really hope we keep the dc and maybe make some minor changes to the d to help but overall I like the d just need a few DB's and a strong pass rusher to compliment Sheard.

I have seen a lot of talk about Mcdaniels, everyone hated on him after his first two seasons with the broncos, not doing much with St Louis and finally finding his way back to the Patriots. I think after finding his way back to BB and possibly some mentorship I'm sure Mcdaniels will be a better HC in the future as long as you don't give him full control.

Saban I highly doubt is moving to the NFL.... Lombardi ha please do not bring this guy in I wanted to reach through my tv and choke him over the comments he made... Chip Kelly I would like to see but not right away as a HC.

I know there were other candidates that all of you have mentioned but I do not really know enough about them to really make my claims.

In my head this is just me thinking here like most of you guys do I would like to see Mcdaniels as HC as long as like i mentioned the FO keeps tight control on him just being a HC and nothing more, try to lure Chip Kelly to come in and run as the OC Mcdaniels and kelly together would be scary IMO. Keep Jauron as DC. hold onto Weeden (which I doubt will happen) for one more season seeing as there are no viable QBs in the draft. trade down in the draft to pick up a 2nd round pick and go for a Keenan Allen in the 1st if he is there if not take the best player pick up Robert Woods in the second if they can not get Allen in the first and go D the rest of the way in the draft then maybe spend a little in the FA finding a guard and spot the d up with what they can......
    Welcome and it's good to have you! Here's to hoping Haslam can turn this franchise around.

BELIEVELAND 2014 WE PUSHIN

Johnny Football + LBJ bringing it back to C-town

vCash
    [QUOTE=dogpoundjoe22;24898603] not trading up for RG3. QUOTE]

Still no way in heck i would've done that. I don't believe RG3 will last very long playing the way he does, so he will have to make adjustments who knows how he will play when that day comes. Plus Browns had so many needs other then QB. we got a franchise RT, WR, RB with what we would have given up.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Love seeing good ole shurmur gone! Dont know who I want to reemplace him, best realistic option looks like chip kelley. I love that sig by the way!!!!

vCash
    Pat Shurmur is a good man but he was put into a tough situation in Cleveland. His first season he didn't have an off-season with his team, a team that was gutted of all of Mangini's old slow players and they were forced to play a lot of rookies that clearly weren't ready for the big show.

His second season he had the opportunity to install his programs in the spring and summer and had a roster he was more comfortable with, albeit younger than the season before. With a really tough schedule, injuries and suspensions to key players and coming up short in close games they finished the season with only 1 more win than the year before.

Despite the fact Shurmur might be a great coach 6 days a week it is his performance on Sundays which will seal his fate. His bad play calling and questionable decision making week in and week out might just show that he doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach in the NFL.

Onto the next regime... Hopefully it lasts more than 2 years.

vCash
    Just saw Shurmurs post game presser and boy was he drilled with questions about his future he seem to get mad and had this look on his face like he wanted to just walk out of the conference. I hope we do not see him winning SB's with another team.
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    Spermur looked like he was gonna cry at some points. On another note Grossi says Pat and Tom have not been told anything about their future yet.

vCash
    Shurmur has been fired. Reported at 9 am on ESPN.
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast