Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Tickets

vCash

Season Tickets

Is anyone on a list for season tickets for the Cubs. I am on a waiting list and I got an e-mail that on January 13th I can go to Wrigley Field and, if available, purchase season tickets. I am pretty far down the list, so I was surprised I got the notification. So I am just wondering if anyone had any insight on this. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

vCash
    If it's ticket related, PM croce_99.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Sounds like a lot of people have received this letter. Which is shocking because the Cubs told us the renewal rate was very high and they were surprised.
    They are likely opening up additional seats for season tickets knowing the Cubs are still a year or two away from filling up Wrigley on a daily basis.

The process is very well organized and kind of fun.

You are assigned a specific date/time slot. When you arrive, you just show them an ID card and they look up your name. Obviously, you'll be on the list.
    When your time arrives, you will be in a group with roughly 20-25 people. They explain the process of what is going to happen, then you walk around Wrigley by yourself looking for seats.

The seats that will be available all have stickers on them. Clearly visible. You can see them from the other side of the field.
    Specific colors of the stickers represent what that seat is. Whether its full season, nights and weekends, or the daily double plan.
    Full seats = obviously every game
    Nights/weekends = opening day, all holidays, all nights, all weekends. 57 games this year.
    Daily Double = Every Monday and Friday game.

Full season gives you every playoff game.
    Nights/weekends gives you 2 playoff games for each series.
    Daily Double gives you 1 playoff game for each series. Obviously, don't have to worry about that this year.

You can't leave an odd number of seats remaining.
    Lets say a group of 4 seats are available. You have to buy 2 or all 4. You can't buy 1 or 3.
    If there's a group of 3 seats available, you have to buy 1 or all 3.

I was the last group for the season ticket holders relocation event 3 weeks ago. There were a lot of 200 level seats still available, so if you are one of the first ones, there should be seats available. You can choose bleachers or grandstand seats.

Once you find the seats you want, you take the sticker with you to their office and you sign some papers. The whole process, from start to finish, can take as little as 5 minutes if you grab your seats immediately. The paperwork takes 2 minutes. You sign your name and provide a 10% payment. That's it.

Any other questions, let me know. I will say this, if you plan on selling most of the games, you WILL lose money this year. There's no way around it.
    But if you pass on the season ticket opportunity, you have to go to the end of the line. It could be another 20 years before you are offered again.

vCash
    I think they may have sent out more of the emails and letters than thy meant to. I got one, and two other people I know get them. Thing is, I'm still 30,000 on the list.

It's unfortunate, because I don't have the money to buy tickets at the moment. I figured I'd still have time but I have my appointment on the 13th. Hopefully they're out of seats by the time I'm up. Or else I'm off the list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago657 View Post
    I think they may have sent out more of the emails and letters than thy meant to. I got one, and two other people I know get them. Thing is, I'm still 30,000 on the list.

It's unfortunate, because I don't have the money to buy tickets at the moment. I figured I'd still have time but I have my appointment on the 13th. Hopefully they're out of seats by the time I'm up. Or else I'm off the list.
    30,000? Damn.

They probably expect 80% of the people to decline the offer. Most fans don't think about long term. They think about the team from the last few years and what they expect this year, so they decline the opportunity.

vCash
    I was at 42,000 at the start of November of 2011. I don't use the email I'm registered to the Cubs with anymore, so I hadn't given it any consideration until just now...figuring at 42,000 I was still years away from being in contention. Now I have to send them a damn email.

Brandon Marshall.

He really wants to play a game in January.

vCash
    According to another site I visit, the Cubs sent out invitations to pretty much everyone.

They are likely trying to sell the dugout seats or the 400 level seats. They know 99% of the people won't be purchasing those, so that's why they sent out so many invitations. If they can get 200 people to commit to those overpriced seats, they would be thrilled.

vCash
    See I find that stunning, kinda.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but if you get the invite to actually go to Wrigley for the process this year, and you don't go, you now have to sign back up to get to the back of a 100,000+ list for a team that most (I'd hope) fans expect to turn the corner - and do so for the long haul - in the next year or two. It could be another one, two, three decades before your chance comes along again...theoretically.

If you can afford it, how could you possibly pass it up?

Also, Croce just as an aside - my tentative plan this year would be to grab the cheapest seats (500 level?) for the cheapest, least commitment-oriented package (daily double?)...and then gradually upgrade my seats/package from year to year as the team improves, ideally with my financial situation improving as well - I'm only 24 right now and have been working at my first real post-collegiate job for less than a year.

Brandon Marshall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    See I find that stunning, kinda.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but if you get the invite to actually go to Wrigley for the process this year, and you don't go, you now have to sign back up to get to the back of a 100,000+ list for a team that most (I'd hope) fans expect to turn the corner - and do so for the long haul - in the next year or two. It could be another one, two, three decades before your chance comes along again...theoretically.

If you can afford it, how could you possibly pass it up?

Also, Croce just as an aside - my tentative plan this year would be to grab the cheapest seats (500 level?) for the cheapest, least commitment-oriented package (daily double?)...and then gradually upgrade my seats/package from year to year as the team improves, ideally with my financial situation improving as well - I'm only 24 right now and have been working at my first real post-collegiate job for less than a year.
    I can't promise you that those options will be available when you go to Wrigley.
    I agree with your plan though. Buy cheap this year, and hope to upgrade in the future.
    Last year was the first time the Cubs ever did the relocation event. So that is brand new. I don't see why they wouldn't continue to do it every year

I would show up to the event and, at the very least, see your options.
    Last year when I went, they made it very clear. If there are tickets available, you either take what they have or you get to the end of the waiting list. That's why I got stuck with bleachers. $4500+ for 2 bleachers, but I had to do it.
    If you can afford to throw away a couple thousand dollars (and recover most of it over the next 8 months), I'd definitely do it.

That's what credit cards are for. Sign up for another credit card. New credit cards offer 0% for 12 months, or they offer 0% when you transfer a balance. Make the minimum payments each month, but make sure you pay it off before your 0% offer ends.

vCash
    How much did you end up having to eat out of that ~$4500?

I was hoping if I was able to get just the Mon/Fri thing I wouldn't have to spend more than 3k total for a pair of tix upstairs somewhere.

Brandon Marshall.

vCash
    I'm 18th and 19th in line. Got the letter, too.

Doubt I even go to Wrigley for my appointment at this point.

vCash
    I signed up over the summer with the consideration of the teams play might drive people away, but I haven't moved up a spot or received any emails. I thought after they took out those scalpers I would've moved up a couple spots, but nothing yet.
    "Baby, it wasn't the Cubs fault when that douche bag grabbed the foul ball either, but they don't get a World Series ring. There are no asterisks in this life, only scoreboards."- Ari Gold

Some people are just supposed to suffer. That's why the Cubs will never win the damn series.

vCash
    I'm at 16698 and I haven't seen it yet, I've been on the list for 6 years. the biggest thing is that you get is that you can buy tickets before they go on sale in February.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    How much did you end up having to eat out of that ~$4500?

I was hoping if I was able to get just the Mon/Fri thing I wouldn't have to spend more than 3k total for a pair of tix upstairs somewhere.
    I lost around $600. There are games that are profitable. But it's the games in September and October that kill you. I sold some bleachers for $5 a ticket when face value was over $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlciganek View Post
    I'm at 16698 and I haven't seen it yet, I've been on the list for 6 years. the biggest thing is that you get is that you can buy tickets before they go on sale in February.
    You do get a presale, but there's just not that many games that are profitable when the team is this bad. Last year the Red Sox series was nice. You could still buy opening day tickets the night before the game last year!
    Usually, every summer weekend game is a money maker. Last year wasn't the case though.

vCash
    Also received the email and am debating a purchase. First of all, just looked up and I am # 10,999 on the list. I received an email for the 12th. Last thing I want to do is drive 6 hours to be told there are not any left. Any educated guesses on if you think it is likely there will be?

I would have to sell the majority this year, and realize I will most likely take a loss. But looking to split two with a friend, and willing to take the chance that it might pay off in the future.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast