Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cubs select 3B Kris Bryant with their 1st Round pick

Bryant, 20, hit .329 with 80 runs scored, 13 2B, 3 3B, 31 HR and 62 RBI in 62 games this season. His 31 HR led the nation.
    Bryant is an elite-impact talent and a future All-Star. He's the complete package. When I was GM of the Washington Nationals, I drafted Ryan Zimmerman in 2005 and promoted him to the major leagues in the same season. However, Bryant is a better hitter at the same stage with significantly more power. If he signs quickly, Bryant will be ready to contribute at the major league level as early as September.

His elite plus power is foul pole to foul pole with consistent sweet-spot contact. He can turn on the inside 95-97 mph fastball, and he is able to take the down-and-away breaking ball to the opposite field.

He has an above-average arm, and I think he'll be able to stay at third base. With continued hard work he might end up improving even more than projected. Or he could end up in the outfield. His running speed is average, but he goes first to third with ease and acceleration.

He has tremendous makeup, is a student of the game and has the ability to adjust and learn quickly. His father, Mike, was a ninth-round pick of the Boston Red Sox in 1980, so he has baseball in his DNA. He is extremely intelligent, earning a 4.7 GPA in high school and a 3.3 GPA at San Diego, earning him WCC All-Academic Team honors in 2012. -- Jim Bowden
    The pick: Kris Bryant, third base, University of San Diego

His stats: Bryant led all college players in 2013 with 31 home runs, 10 more than the next player. He also hit .329 with a .493 on-base percentage. He's a finalist for the Golden Spikes award given out to the top amateur baseball player.

His background: Bryant, 21, grew up in Las Vegas. The Toronto Blue Jays selected him in the 18th round in 2010 but Bryant chose to go to college where he's played the last three seasons. His dad, Mike, was Bryant's coach for much of his life after being a minor league player in the Boston Red Sox organization.

ESPN draft guru Keith Law's take: Bryant's kind of right-handed power is very hard to find, and even if he ends up in right field he's athletic enough to be good there. He sets up with a very wide base and has no stride, just a toe-tap for timing. It's a quiet swing overall, with excellent hip rotation for power, but his bat speed is just average or a tick better and I worry about his contact rates when he's consistently facing guys throwing 90-plus in pro ball. He can murder a good fastball but I'm not sure how he'll react to better off-speed stuff in the pros.

What it means: With third base still a thin position at the major league level -- especially in terms of power -- Bryant could be the answer to the Cubs woes at the hot corner. Some have compared him to Mike Schmidt. That's lofty praise, but even if he can produce a fraction of what Schmidt did, the Cubs could have their answer at third. He could also end up in the outfield, so defensively it's unclear what level he'll reach. But if there is a no-doubter at the plate in the draft, it's Bryant. As for when he would be ready to play in the majors, Bryant said Thursday afternoon in a radio interview, "Watching big-league games I feel like I could hit big-league pitching now."
    Discuss.
    Last edited by Ron!n; 06-06-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    I like it, would have loved Appel, but a position playeis less risky here IMO. How many rounds until we see another position player selected?

vCash
    Agree I have doubts about Gray

vCash
    Well, hopefully he can stick at 3b.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    Love love love this pick

vCash
    Like it a lot, especially since Appel was off the board.

vCash
    I wanted Appel, but Bryant was my backup. Hearing that he could contribute by September is exciting. I hope Harold is right and that he's able to stay at 3B.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Big stick yeah buddy

vCash
    I like the pick. Especially with Appel off the board. See I can be positive. Suck it CSSTL

vCash
    Like the pick a lot.

Here's a cool article on him.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/sc...to-glaus-werth

vCash
    Very happy with this guy.

vCash
    Happier with him than I would have been with Gray so I guess I'm fine with it. It's always a better idea to buy pitching anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Hearing that he could contribute by September is exciting.
    Where in the hell did you hear this?

DONT

CARE

vCash
    This guy ****ing mashes the ball. Great pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Where in the hell did you hear this?
    in the article posted above...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast