Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    no one is denying that. its the part that it's a penalty on the kicking team that gets me. doesnt make sense that if the receiving team goes out of bounds and touches it, its a penalty on the kicking team....ESPECIALLY considering in all other instances (as far as I know) if someone goes out of bounds they cant come back in and be the first person to touch the ball or its a penalty on the person that touched the ball.
    He didn't come back in.

Chad Morton did it years ago too.

Basically the NFL wants you to return the ball.They don't want teams to sideline kick and use the sidelines to defend field position. This has to be the theory in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Did it? I cannot remember. I complain about it all the time. Rodgers did it a few times last year. I think he got caught once.

I had IG. If it's INTENTIONAL to ground the football, it should be a penalty. But they have all this caveats.
    Yeah the announcers made a big deal out of it, probably because he does it a lot and it rarely gets called. Brady's the only guy I've seen do that though, except when guys are inside the 5 and throw the ball way over every receivers head from inside the pocket. Why is that not the same thing?

vCash
    He didn't come back in.

Chad Morton did it years ago too.

Basically the NFL wants you to return the ball.They don't want teams to sideline kick and use the sidelines to defend field position. This has to be the theory in it.
    oh, I know he didn't. that's why it's silly too, so if the player comes back in and touches it, its a penalty on him...but if he stays out of bounds and touches it, its a penalty on the other team. why the difference? why the distinction? why is that the case? what's the reasoning behind each? if you go out of bounds you shouldn't be able to touch the ball REGARDLESS of if you stay out or come back in, let alone be able to give the other team a penalty for YOUR actions.

if they want the ball to be returned, they shouldnt allow the reciving team to give a huge penalty to the kicking team by stepping out of bounds on purpose. the penalty that cobb forced is kind of counterintuitive to the NFL wanting teams to return the ball. IF THIS RULE DOESNT EXIST, COBB RETURNS THE BALL LIKE THE NFL WANTS.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    oh, I know he didn't. that's why it's silly too, so if the player comes back in and touches it, its a penalty on him...but if he stays out of bounds and touches it, its a penalty on the other team. why the difference? why the distinction? why is that the case? what's the reasoning behind each? if you go out of bounds you shouldn't be able to touch the ball REGARDLESS of if you stay out or come back in, let alone be able to give the other team a penalty for YOUR actions.

if they want the ball to be returned, they shouldnt allow the reciving team to give a huge penalty to the kicking team by stepping out of bounds on purpose. the penalty that cobb forced is kind of counterintuitive to the NFL wanting teams to return the ball.
    I understand what you're saying but if the KO team is scared to kick off to the sidelines for fear it will go OOB or someone does this......they kick it middle for a middle return. This theory made more sense because they moved the kickoff though.

It should be changed now for sure but it's so rare....2004, 2008, 2012. I sense a pattern. But seriously. It's rare, I don't think they ever thought it mattered enough but I imagine the theory started on, well don't kick it over there and this doesn't happen.

Cobb also runs the risk of stepping out and coming back in suppose. Plus the rule of how OOB's works was already established so I suppose they saw no need to make special rules for KO's on something that literally should never happen.

PS. When I saw return the ball, it's more about field position. They don't want guys getting pinned at the 10 on kickoffs. The 40 is good field position. But also the KO return is exciting as well.

vCash
    LOL, I'm looking up stupid *** rules.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nfl...ars_seaso.html

This one is terrific.

vCash

vCash
    LOL, I'm looking up stupid *** rules.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nfl...ars_seaso.html

This one is terrific.
    WOW! so if it's a bad snap over your head or something, just dont touch it....right?

EDIT: nvm, read further. HAS to go through your legs. still makes no sense. why the distinction between a snap that goes through the legs and one that doesnt. whatever.

vCash
    WOW! so if it's a bad snap over your head or something, just dont touch it....right?

EDIT: nvm, read further. HAS to go through your legs.
    Yeah through your legs.

I liked there was one if I threw a screen pass, then went to block, and received the lateral. I would get a TD pass and touchdown reception WITHOUT getting a reception.

Lol, that's hilarious. 0 Catches 1 TD Receiving

vCash
    the obvious answer to the dumb rule quesiton is the ******** challenging rule
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    A WR must complete the process of the catch in the end zone, while RB don't have to maintain possession diving into the end zone....

vCash
    The NFL has tons of dumb rules. Most of them contributing to the pussification of American football.

vCash
    rgf

vCash
    The play is reviewable because he threw the flag while the play was being reviewed.

All scoring and turnovers are automatically reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    I guess I just finally realized that rocket is the only one around here that knows anything and the rest of you guys are dicks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    The play is reviewable because he threw the flag while the play was being reviewed.

All scoring and turnovers are automatically reviewed
    I think this was their solution to changing that rule this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Bring forth the possibly real and possibly imaginary poll.

Oops, I wasn't bull****ting.

vCash
    I think that most of the penalties that have come up over the last 20 years that diminish the role of defense are making the game very boring. My top 3 being

Pass Interference
    Roughing the kicker
    Roughing the passer
    Intentional Grounding
    Forward Progress

I guess I don't dislike the spirit of the roughing the kicker and roughing the passer rules, but it has made it almost pointless to try to for a sack or punt block for fear of these rules. To me, if the player makes an obvious attempt to pull away from the play, it should not be called. Also, if a player is pushed, or has unstoppable momentum going, it should also be reconsidered.

The 2 things that hate about PI are:
    1. how it completely takes the defender out of the play
    2. the ambiguous nature of the call...and I really hate the assessment of placement at the spot of the foul. Soooo many games that should not be decided by PI are because of it happening in the end zone. Once again, it is the ambiguous nature of the call that is frustrating

I think the perfect penalty is the way they do it in college. 15 yards and a first down. Or keep it the way it is, except, revert to the college version when in it happens in the red zone

I hate intentional grounding and forward progress because it, once again, eliminates the opportunity for very exciting defensive plays to happen.
    Last edited by xpucksx; 01-01-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast