Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The dumb rules thread

What are some dumb NFL rules that make you go "how the f did they come up with that one?" I'll start off with a play from the Titans/Packers game. What are some others that make you go...whaaaa?

the titans kicked off and the ball rolled near the sideline and came to a complete stop on the playing field (still in bounds). randall cobb then stepped out of bounds (on purpose) and touched the ball from out of bounds. because he did that, it was ruled that the kickoff went out of bounds and the packers got the ball at the 40.

where does the NFL come up with this ****? I dont blame randall cobb (he obviously did the smart thing) but some of these rules are just ********.

heres the video:http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...ckoff/1787631/
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Well the one I made a thread about is one for me.

One that I'll never get is why, when a team is going for the PAT, the defense can't run that back for points. I love it in college. I saw Ohio State do it once and it was the most exciting football moment I can remember in my life. Why would they make that such a one sided play?

vCash
    Leon Washington did it a few years back IIRC. They never changed it then. I think they want it this way to avoid angled kicking? No idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    Well the one I made a thread about is one for me.

One that I'll never get is why, when a team is going for the PAT, the defense can't run that back for points. I love it in college. I saw Ohio State do it once and it was the most exciting football moment I can remember in my life. Why would they make that such a one sided play?
    Makes zero sense at all.

To go on your grounding thing. I don't get why a RB can be in pass pro and the QB can throw it at his feet and it's not PI. Or when Tom Brady, I swear Brady does it a lot. Throws the ball 20 yards over every single WR downfield. I know what he's doing........never gets called.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Makes zero sense at all.

To go on your grounding thing. I don't get why a RB can be in pass pro and the QB can throw it at his feet and it's not PI. Or when Tom Brady, I swear Brady does it a lot. Throws the ball 20 yards over every single WR downfield. I know what he's doing........never gets called.
    That got called in the Super Bowl didn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    That got called in the Super Bowl didn't it?
    Did it? I cannot remember. I complain about it all the time. Rodgers did it a few times last year. I think he got caught once.

I had IG. If it's INTENTIONAL to ground the football, it should be a penalty. But they have all this caveats.

vCash
    Makes zero sense at all.

Grounding is stupid IMO. There are a lot of plays that should be grounding because of the ball being over thrown receiver running the wrong route. I think this should be the rule for grounding. Any QB inside or outside of the pocket must throw the ball passed the line of scrimmage in bounds or out of bounds, unless they are throwing to a receiver that is behind the line of scrimmage like a screen. Any thrown balls hitting a defender would make grounding not callable. It makes it really simple and fair for the QB to throw the ball away.

Get this guy the ball!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    What are some dumb NFL rules that make you go "how the f did they come up with that one?" I'll start off with a play from the Titans/Packers game. What are some others that make you go...whaaaa?
    Just like I said in the other thread, this isnt some rule they created for kickoffs. If the ball is live and on the ground and player out of bounds touches it, the ball is considered out too. Pretty simple

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Grounding is stupid IMO. There are a lot of plays that should be grounding because of the ball being over thrown receiver running the wrong route. I think this should be the rule for grounding. Any QB inside or outside of the pocket must throw the ball passed the line of scrimmage in bounds or out of bounds, unless they are throwing to a receiver that is behind the line of scrimmage like a screen. Any thrown balls hitting a defender would make grounding not callable. It makes it really simple and fair for the QB to throw the ball away.
    So just throw the ball at the defensive ends nuts as he comes at you and it's not grounding?

I bet Suh wants to be a QB now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseForAName View Post
    Just like I said in the other thread, this isnt some rule they created for kickoffs. If the ball is live and on the ground and player out of bounds touches it, the ball is considered out too. Pretty simple
    There should be an exception on kickoffs. When they have the fumble rule the other team doesn't get a penalty for 32 yards or whatever it was.

vCash
    Defenseless receiver rule......if he obviously drops the ball and defender continues just to do it ok.....however the hit on Vernon Davis lastnight was BS...that was great dfense!

vCash
    The Peyton Manning rules instituted so the league would all be able to pass for 5000 yards even with fringe top 10 QBs.

vCash
    So just throw the ball at the defensive ends nuts as he comes at you and it's not grounding?

I bet Suh wants to be a QB now.
    Well yeah? Thats line a pass being tipped from the line of scrimmage is it not? Its hitting the defensive player so...

Get this guy the ball!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseForAName View Post
    no one is denying that. its the part that it's a penalty on the kicking team that gets me. doesnt make sense that if the receiving team goes out of bounds and touches it, its a penalty on the kicking team....ESPECIALLY considering in all other instances (as far as I know) if someone goes out of bounds they cant come back in and be the first person to touch the ball or its a penalty on the person that touched the ball.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Well yeah? Thats line a pass being tipped from the line of scrimmage is it not? Its hitting the defensive player so...
    That's stupid. I'd throw it an engaged DL guys ankle every time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast