Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    There it goes, already making excuses for them not to do much next offseason.
    Spending $40M in one off-season is not doing much? Other than Cano, it's not like there's any elite talents out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    There will be about $35-40M on the payroll for 2014 with no moves made. They will make some moves to get at least in the $80M range. 2015 is a better FA I believe so blowing away all the flexibility might not be wise.
    And how many players on the roster?

So now we're talking about 2015? when does this actually end?

You do realize that by 2015, the 2015 class will be much weaker than it looks now, as 2014 looks weaker than it looked a year ago, just like 2013 was weaker when we got there too.

When are you expecting to compete? 2017?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    Every year there can be that same excuse, not the right fit, too high for us, don't want to overpay for mediocrity.

They could have filled holes this year, and I'm afraid the same excuse will come next winter, and a lot of people will say ok Sandy you got us Wheeler, and D'arnaud we trust you, lets wait one more year for that perfect situation.

I still have hope, but not a lot.

Won't be able to deal with another winter like this.
    Same old excuses, you have to overpay in FA or you get no-one, simple as that, the alternative is do nothing and keep losing. Mets fans seem to want star names with lesser risk attached to them, and they want them for cheap prices.

Not gonna happen...

The Mets will say anything not to spend money, you have to be mentally subnormal to not see that, they've ditched 7-8 big contracts over the last few years, and they are the ONLY team not to have signed a MLB FA???

Total BS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    And how many players on the roster?

So now we're talking about 2015? when does this actually end?

You do realize that by 2015, the 2015 class will be much weaker than it looks now, as 2014 looks weaker than it looked a year ago, just like 2013 was weaker when we got there too.

When are you expecting to compete? 2017?
    C-d'Arnaud
    1B-Davis
    2B-Murphy
    SS-Tejada
    3B-Wright
    LF-?
    CF-Nieuwenhuis, den Dekker or ?
    RF-?

Bench-Baxter, Duda, Turner, Cowgill, Buck or Pena

SP1-Harvey
    SP2-Wheeler
    SP3-Niese
    SP4-Gee
    SP5-Montero/FA starter

Bullpen-Mejia, Familia, Edgin, Mazzoni, Parnell, Carson?, ?

So about 20 or 21 players would be on the roster. They could get 2 pen arms, two quality starting outfielders, maybe a 2B or CF. Maybe a FA starter.

Think that falls under a $40M spending budget? I think so.

vCash
    That's fine if every prospect pans out, and you're still missing two OF'ers.

Have you factored in the raises these guys will be getting?

In your BP you have ONE proven arm.

vCash
    That's fine if every prospect pans out, and you're still missing two OF'ers.
    How many prospects have I added to the equation? Not many, it's mostly made of players we already have. The missing two outfielders could easily be Corey Hart and Martin Prado. We have the money to make it happen.

Have you factored in the raises these guys will be getting?
    Yes. That's why I made a rough estimate.

In your BP you have ONE proven arm.
    So what? So many pens these days were made from unproven arms developed or picked up off the scrap heap. Rarely do you see a pen that has been entirely bought, because they tend to under-perform so often.

vCash
    Omar tried to win and look where it got us? One playoff appearance in 6 seasons, a sorry excuse for a farm system, absolutely no depth, and a fat payroll to underachieving players.

Sandy's job has been to rebuild the organization. He's done a nice job improving the depth of the farm, acquiring high upside young talent for aging players, greatly improving the flexibility, not being impatient knowing when it's time to make moves, and not making moves based on emotion. I am very comfortable with what the FO is doing right now.
    I couldn't agree more.

vCash
    How many prospects have I added to the equation? Not many, it's mostly made of players we already have. The missing two outfielders could easily be Corey Hart and Martin Prado. We have the money to make it happen.

Yes. That's why I made a rough estimate.

So what? So many pens these days were made from unproven arms developed or picked up off the scrap heap. Rarely do you see a pen that has been entirely bought, because they tend to under-perform so often.

So how much are you going to spend on Prado and Hart (if they're even there)??

What you rarely see is an entirely home-grown BP made up of basically prospects who all pan out.

If Wheeler, TDA and Harvey don't all develop into stars, it won't matter how much payroll you believe they have to spend, let's get real here.

vCash
    We don't need elite talent right now, but, as I've been saying since the beginning of the 2012 season, we need two legitimate major league outfielders. (Actually, I said two major league outfielders and a catcher).

I still don't see us doing any better than 4th next year, but the two outfielders are mandatory for 2014. It's difficult to go into 2014 without even one legitimate major league talent in the outfield, because should we have a freaky first half again, they would need to get another outfielder . . . getting two would just not be achievable or practical.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    So how much are you going to spend on Prado and Hart (if they're even there)??

What you rarely see is an entirely home-grown BP made up of basically prospects who all pan out.

If Wheeler, TDA and Harvey don't all develop into stars, it won't matter how much payroll you believe they have to spend, let's get real here.
    Roughly $25-30M per season between the two seems reasonable in the current market.(they will be there, Braves and Brewers don't spend a ton in FA)

I didn't say the pen would be completely homegrown, I said they can get 2 quality arms from FA. Some scrap-heap signing also tend to work with pen arms.

Harvey looks like he is on his way to being a star. Wheeler is supposed to be better.(I doubt it but we'll see) d'Arnaud doesn't have to be a star to be a valuable piece either given he's a catcher.

vCash
    Roughly $25-30M per season between the two seems reasonable in the current market.(they will be there, Braves and Brewers don't spend a ton in FA)

I didn't say the pen would be completely homegrown, I said they can get 2 quality arms from FA. Some scrap-heap signing also tend to work with pen arms.

Harvey looks like he is on his way to being a star. Wheeler is supposed to be better.(I doubt it but we'll see) d'Arnaud doesn't have to be a star to be a valuable piece either given he's a catcher.

There's talent on the team, but zero desire in the owners box. Until I see the Wilpon's trying to win, I will remain utterly skeptical of them and their motives, they have been a total disaster as Mets owners over the years they have been here.

vCash
    There's talent on the team, but zero desire in the owners box. Until I see the Wilpon's trying to win, I will remain utterly skeptical of them and their motives, they have been a total disaster as Mets owners over the years they have been here.
    How do you know this? You know that winning games means more revenue and more money right?

vCash
    Patience my fellow mets fans. Good times are now withing sight and when we finally get where Alderson wants to take us, the money will be there to finish what he started. Let other teams spend now, its not time for us yet.

vCash
    Look at what a nightmare the Knicks were 3 years ago.....Walsh made so many unpopular moves. And like switching on a light, BAM all the sudden we were in great positioning for melo, Amare, tyson, Kidd, felton, etc.....Now we are awesome, and still set to spend in the future. Alderson s doing the exact same thing without a salary cap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    Look at what a nightmare the Knicks were 3 years ago.....Walsh made so many unpopular moves. And like switching on a light, BAM all the sudden we were in great positioning for melo, Amare, tyson, Kidd, felton, etc.....Now we are awesome, and still set to spend in the future. Alderson s doing the exact same thing without a salary cap.
    Your right.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast