Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I would be fine with risking money on Long. He's a worthwhile investment regardless at a greatly valuable position.

I don't see why Mike Tolbert is an idiot. He wanted to come home. He was a great fit on the team this year.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Watching Lawan handle Clowney in the Outback bowl has me really hoping he falls to us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I would be fine with risking money on Long. He's a worthwhile investment regardless at a greatly valuable position.

I don't see why Mike Tolbert is an idiot. He wanted to come home. He was a great fit on the team this year.
    I'm mostly joking about Tolbert, its just out of the norm for players to leave money on the table with small market teams like Carolina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck017 View Post
    Watching Lawan handle Clowney in the Outback bowl has me really hoping he falls to us.
    And of course on queue Clowney starts to make Lawan look bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck017 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, though Jadeveon found a way to turn the game around - what a player, man. Lewan got hurt, though, and it was the TE who whiffed on JD on the big play. I think Lewan might be a go if he's available.

vCash
    The reality of the situation is that we'll need players to take significant paycuts no matter what. I think many of them will. The ones who need to but don't will probably be shown the door. Even if that clears up a ton of cap space, we won't be able to afford Long. There's always someone who will be willing to take a chance on a premier player who's been on a bad team, off his game, and injured. And somehow those teams always have more cap space than we do.

(Amusingly, Geoff Schwartz is a free agent this year and could play RT while we groom a rookie OT. And he's still relatively young. Would definitely be an upgrade over Bell.)

Meanwhile, on the D-line, re-signing Dwan Edwards should be a priority. Ron Edwards isn't particularly expensive in 2013 either, but I would still draft his replacement. I still like Kearse and Neblett as backup DTs. I'm not sure Fua should be around next year, but that's a decision that will come later, not sooner.

I keep hearing Jairus Byrd mentioned here, and I think he'd be a great choice to plug in right away at S. With Nakamura as depth and ST, I'd still look for another S in the middle rounds of the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    The reality of the situation is that we'll need players to take significant paycuts no matter what. I think many of them will. The ones who need to but don't will probably be shown the door. Even if that clears up a ton of cap space, we won't be able to afford Long. There's always someone who will be willing to take a chance on a premier player who's been on a bad team, off his game, and injured. And somehow those teams always have more cap space than we do.
    I think we need for Gamble and Gross to take pay-cuts as well; not that they aren't performing, but more so that they're getting older and hopefully would be willing to take a pay-cut to improve the team. I think Gross wouldn't mind taking a cut to get some help on the OL.

(Amusingly, Geoff Schwartz is a free agent this year and could play RT while we groom a rookie OT. And he's still relatively young. Would definitely be an upgrade over Bell.)
    While I liked Schwartz when he was here, I think there are several better options. I'd probably prefer any OT that goes in rounds 1 or 2 over a guy who hasn't started a game since 2010.

Meanwhile, on the D-line, re-signing Dwan Edwards should be a priority. Ron Edwards isn't particularly expensive in 2013 either, but I would still draft his replacement. I still like Kearse and Neblett as backup DTs. I'm not sure Fua should be around next year, but that's a decision that will come later, not sooner.
    I just looked it up, and apparently we have Dwan on contract for next season. He's due to make $3.65M. I'm somewhat happy to find this, because if for some reason Dwan falls off next season we won't pay nearly as much in the long run.

Apparently Ron is going to make $3.3M next season, so I'm fine with keeping him regardless of if he takes a cut. It'd be awesome to see him take a cut, but he has no reason to given A.) He's only been on the team two years and has no ties, and B.) he's worth $3M.

I keep hearing Jairus Byrd mentioned here, and I think he'd be a great choice to plug in right away at S. With Nakamura as depth and ST, I'd still look for another S in the middle rounds of the draft.
    I'd love to have Byrd, but if we don't get him, everyone is wanting to predict Matt Elam to us, which I don't think would be bad. If we manage to get Byrd, I'd be content with re-signing Sherrod Martin, but not for a lot.

vCash
    Potential Pay-Cuts

NOTE: Many of these players have already been given all of their signing bonuses, so I don't know if all of these cap figures will be right for each season.

- Smitty is due to make $6.25M. He's obviously worth it given that he's our only consistent WR, but maybe he'd be willing to take one to improve the team, even if it's only by $1M. He's due to make $8M and $11M in 2014 and 2015 respectively, so he's going to have to take a pay-cut at some point to stay on the team. I'd love to think Smitty will still be commanding a double team constantly in 2015, but it's a little off to expect that.
    -Gross has a base salary of 8.7M, and a total cap-hit of 11.7M. He's been in Carolina his entire career, and I'd hope given all the money he's made that he'd be willing to shed some of that contract to help the team.
    -DeAngelo has a base salary of around 5M, plus he has a signing bonus of 3.2M. If he truly wants to stay, he could take a pay-cut to his over-priced salary. If he doesn't, we could trade him for a 3rd/4th rounder or just cut him and save $5M.
    -Gamble has a total salary of almost 11M next season, and from what I can tell, only $3M of that is guaranteed. If he doesn't take a cut to his 8M base salary, he could potentially get the boot, despite being one of the best CBs in the league. He's missed 20ish games in three seasons.
    -Beason has made $9M the last two seasons to do nothing, so hopefully he'd be cool with taking a cut to his almost $10M total salary for next year. He might be pissy about losing his starting spot to Kuechly though, in which case he'd need to be traded/let go, but maybe after next season. From 2014 on he makes around 11M per season.
    -Given how little we need him, James Anderson needs to be dropped/restructured (by a lot). He's only making $4.5M next season, but he's only useful in run-defense, plus he's the weakest link of our 4 startable LBs. He could be replaced in FA OR a mid-round draft pick a lot cheaper.
    -Cutting Clausen next year would save a little over 1M. We could cut him and not have to worry about a #3 QB, because let's face it, if Cam goes down we won't be competing for anything anyway.

The only FA's we have to potentially re-sign next year are Derrick Anderson, Sherrod Martin, and Captain Munnerlyn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Potential Pay-Cuts

NOTE: Many of these players have already been given all of their signing bonuses, so I don't know if all of these cap figures will be right for each season.

- Smitty is due to make $6.25M. He's obviously worth it given that he's our only consistent WR, but maybe he'd be willing to take one to improve the team, even if it's only by $1M. He's due to make $8M and $11M in 2014 and 2015 respectively, so he's going to have to take a pay-cut at some point to stay on the team. I'd love to think Smitty will still be commanding a double team constantly in 2015, but it's a little off to expect that.
    -Gross has a base salary of 8.7M, and a total cap-hit of 11.7M. He's been in Carolina his entire career, and I'd hope given all the money he's made that he'd be willing to shed some of that contract to help the team.
    -DeAngelo has a base salary of around 5M, plus he has a signing bonus of 3.2M. If he truly wants to stay, he could take a pay-cut to his over-priced salary. If he doesn't, we could trade him for a 3rd/4th rounder or just cut him and save $5M.
    -Gamble has a total salary of almost 11M next season, and from what I can tell, only $3M of that is guaranteed. If he doesn't take a cut to his 8M base salary, he could potentially get the boot, despite being one of the best CBs in the league. He's missed 20ish games in three seasons.
    -Beason has made $9M the last two seasons to do nothing, so hopefully he'd be cool with taking a cut to his almost $10M total salary for next year. He might be pissy about losing his starting spot to Kuechly though, in which case he'd need to be traded/let go, but maybe after next season. From 2014 on he makes around 11M per season.
    -Given how little we need him, James Anderson needs to be dropped/restructured (by a lot). He's only making $4.5M next season, but he's only useful in run-defense, plus he's the weakest link of our 4 startable LBs. He could be replaced in FA OR a mid-round draft pick a lot cheaper.
    -Cutting Clausen next year would save a little over 1M. We could cut him and not have to worry about a #3 QB, because let's face it, if Cam goes down we won't be competing for anything anyway.

The only FA's we have to potentially re-sign next year are Derrick Anderson, Sherrod Martin, and Captain Munnerlyn.
    Some other names I would add:

-Ron Edwards - He's a key cog to this defense, but he's relatively expensive and could be expendable if a NT is taken early.

-Garry Williams - The Panthers can save about $1 million by cutting him. Seems like a no-brainer given the opportunities he's had and the potential he's shown in them (little to none).

-Geoff Hangartner - Not that I don't like him, but due more than $1.5 million next year in base salary. He could be on the chopping block for a cheaper option.

Don't forget, we'll need to resign Dwan Edwards. He was the key to the improvement of our DL, if you ask me. He deserves a long-term deal and a raise.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    People who need to take paycuts: Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart (the price of keeping Double Trouble together), Jon Beason (coming off his second IR season), Chris Gamble (IR and age, combined with an enormous cap number), James Anderson (he'll be a backup, though he may just get cut). I don't think Jordan Gross needs to take a paycut to be around next year, but it'd be great if he did.

Sure, there are better options than Schwartz, but how many of them are going to be available? At the very least, Schwartz is a solid and versatile backup who can fill in at RT or G. And he's still relatively cheap ($550k in 2012). If we draft an OT in round 2 that isn't ready to start right away, Schwartz is an upgrade over Bell until the new guy is ready. Of course, that's all dependent on Schwartz being healthy.

Where did you see that we have Dwan Edwards under contract for 2013? I'm seeing him as a free agent. If he's not under contract, that's obviously a priority.

Who's mocking Matt Elam to us? Why would we take a SS in Round 1 when NT and OT are much higher priorities? There should be plenty of decent safeties in Round 3, and with Godfrey being able to play either position, it shouldn't matter whether we draft a FS or SS.

Why the hate for Garry Williams? The O-line started solidifying again when he took over at RG. I think he's a solid backup G (even if he's listed as a T).

I don't think we can afford to cut Hangartner, as there's no one on the roster right now to take his place as starting RG. We may finally have a chance to shore up the OL; I'd be hesitant to change that.

I'd like to see us part ways with Clausen at this point, and start looking for a long-term backup for Newton. I'd still re-sign Anderson, as he's been effective in his limited snaps as a backup and can help the new guy learn the offense.

vCash
    No way is Stewart taking a pay cut on a deal that he literally just signed. Will not happen, I can guarantee that right now.

Dwan isn't under contract for next season. I assume he looked it up on spotrac, who mistakes Ron's contract for Dwan's. Confusing, I know.

We don't have a third round pick. I would like Elam in round 2, though.

Williams has never been impressive to me. He's fairly expensive for a backup who has proven little. We can find cheaper options.

A new GM coming in doesn't really have an attachment to Hangartner. He's a useful piece, but that is a lot of money a team that is desperate for money can save without make a truly consequential cut. We would miss him next year, and he's been solid for us, but he's replaceable if he needs to go for our cap situation. We can't keep everyone.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Best DT / OT or BPA.

vCash
    No way is Stewart taking a pay cut on a deal that he literally just signed. Will not happen, I can guarantee that right now.
    Yeah... I forgot how young he is. Let's pretend I didn't say that.

We don't have a third round pick. I would like Elam in round 2, though.
    Forgot about that too. I'd really rather address NT and OT in rounds 1 and 2, but we need to do something about S. The mocks I've seen so far have DTs flying off the board, so that may need to be a first-round investment (and we're definitely due to make that investment). I wouldn't mind going S in round 2, but if we can trade back in the second and pick up a third rounder as well, I'd like to see that. Can spend the second round pick on a S, but we can't lose sight of the need at OT in the 3rd-4th rounds.

Williams has never been impressive to me. He's fairly expensive for a backup who has proven little. We can find cheaper options.

A new GM coming in doesn't really have an attachment to Hangartner. He's a useful piece, but that is a lot of money a team that is desperate for money can save without make a truly consequential cut. We would miss him next year, and he's been solid for us, but he's replaceable if he needs to go for our cap situation. We can't keep everyone.
    Williams is a tough situation because he has that starting experience, but everyone knows he's not a starter. Like you said, $1M is probably a lot more than we want to spend on a backup. The problem is that we desperately need depth at OL. I mean, I guess we can always fall back on Jeff Byers... In all seriousness though, we could probably find some depth in the later rounds of the draft that will be cheaper, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we release Williams.

I don't think keeping Hangartner is a matter of attachment, it's a matter of not having someone who can step in and not being able to spend a mid-round pick at the position. We'd basically be looking at a FA or starting a late-round rookie -- with an FA, we may be looking at the same figures anyway; with the rookie, it'd be cheaper, but production would likely be much lower. I think you can look at replacing him next year, but probably not this year. Besides, having Hangartner next to a rookie OT would probably help the rookie's development.

I think the last line there is the hardest pill to swallow. We can't keep everyone... even if the players who should take pay cuts do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I don't think keeping Hangartner is a matter of attachment, it's a matter of not having someone who can step in and not being able to spend a mid-round pick at the position. We'd basically be looking at a FA or starting a late-round rookie -- with an FA, we may be looking at the same figures anyway; with the rookie, it'd be cheaper, but production would likely be much lower. I think you can look at replacing him next year, but probably not this year. Besides, having Hangartner next to a rookie OT would probably help the rookie's development.

I think the last line there is the hardest pill to swallow. We can't keep everyone... even if the players who should take pay cuts do so.
    Is it an absolute necessity to keep Hangartner? I don't know. I doubt it. We certainly can use him, but with no guaranteed money, he's an easy one to cut lose from a monetary standpoint because he doesn't leave you with any dead money. Which is surely why his contract was structured that way in the first place. He's replaceable for a cheaper number. Mike Pollak made half of what Hangartner is scheduled to make in 2013. I know Pollak was hurt and didn't contribute, but you can find him or a comparable bargain if you really have to cut cap. I know cutting Hangartner would seem like a step backwards, but there are ways to easily soften that blow.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I would like to see us move up and grab a top 5.......we have a spare RB and ILB.....we need the best OL and DT not 3ed best.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast