Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Panthers Leaning Towards David Gettleman?

5. The Panthers are believed to be leaning toward Giants executive Dave Gettleman.
    -Pro Football Talk

Sounds good to me. He's highly regarded, and was Accorsi's recommendation to Cleveland years ago when they hired George Kokinis. Anyone but Beane!

vCash
    Forgive me for my ignorance, and I'm probably going to be skeptical of every GM option, but I really don't like Gettleman's age. That being said, I like him better than every other name that I've seen floating around. The most interesting statistic: He's been part of 6 SB winning teams.

Most Giants fans I see posting in forums are extremely bummed to lose Gettleman AND Ross, but I've seen several comments that they'd rather lose Ross than Gettleman, so I guess that's at least positive.

I'm surprised Tom Gamble isn't being interviewed or anything, given how much I've heard his name over the last few weeks.

vCash
    My wishlist (of the candidates I've heard of through the media) would be:

Gettleman
    Dawson
    Ross
    Beane

And it's nothing against Beane, but I think a lot of us would prefer a guy with a scouting background. Personally, I'd prefer a guy with a pro scouting background to a college scouting background -- I think the new college scouting team we picked up did a decent job in the 2012 draft. Gettleman wins over Dawson only because of name recognition.

vCash
    Gettleman sounds good to me

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    Not that I have some sort of tie to Beane or anything, but I could possibly see Gettleman being hired, and Beane sitting back and learning from a second GM. Beane is somewhat young for a GM (mid-thirties) and Gettleman is in his late 60's I believe, so theoretically that could be a plan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Not that I have some sort of tie to Beane or anything, but I could possibly see Gettleman being hired, and Beane sitting back and learning from a second GM. Beane is somewhat young for a GM (mid-thirties) and Gettleman is in his late 60's I believe, so theoretically that could be a plan.
    I don't mind Beane staying in his original role. He should not be the GM, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I don't mind Beane staying in his original role. He should not be the GM, though.
    Yeah, I agree, I'm saying maybe they're going to keep Beane where he is while Gettleman is GM, then when Gettleman retires/is fired we could bump a more experienced Beane into the GM spot.

vCash
    Just don't know how I will ever feel about Beane as a GM. Has no experience as a personnel evaluator, which is part of what made Hurney as poor GM in the first place.

vCash
    “Whoever comes in (as GM) in Carolina is going to want their own head coach. The owner (Jerry Richardson) didn’t want to eat two years on (Ron Rivera‘s) contract. … From everything I hear, (Giants senior pro personnel analyst) Dave Gettlemen is (consultant) Ernie Accorsi‘s guy. Accorsi recommended him for the job in Cleveland when Mike Holmgren took over. (Gettlemen) is not a self-promoter like too many of these (candidates). He’s a meat-and-potatoes, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. He’ll clean it up fast, and he can work with anyone. You don’t see his name out there a lot or hear about him because he just goes about his business and gets the job done. He’s been a big part of the fabric in the Giants’ front office for a long time. He deserves a shot.”
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ire-in-marrone

vCash
    Panthers announced Gettleman as their new GM today.

vCash
    Yay!

Between a guy with a college scouting background and a guy with a pro scouting background, I like that we went with the pro scouting background. I didn't dislike our first draft with our new college scouting team (this past year), but we obviously need to do a good job of evaluating in-house/FA/PS talent.