Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who do we take in the draft???

we're looking to get around the 9th-12th pick in the draft based on where we stand now....my question is what position do we draft in the first? me personally, i think we either a wr, or a db......heres 2 names who would id love to see in carolina next year

wr - keenan allen

cb- dee milliner

what are your guys thoughts?
    Last edited by corytwotimes; 12-24-2012 at 10:37 AM.

vCash
    BPA of the following: DT/OL/CB/WR.

I've been seeing where OG Warmack is getting the hype DeCastro got last year, but if we could trade back to 20ish I'd take a great OG. I'd love to get a franchise LT we might be better off getting a dropper in the 2nd round.

vCash
    Cordarrelle Patterson

vCash
    Me. We should definitely draft me.

vCash
    If I'm of the board then Homestarunner93.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killakatsfan View Post
    If I'm of the board then Homestarunner93.
    Agreed

Really, Dee Milliner would be a good option that late if he's there. I'm not a fan of taking a WR in the first round this year. The WR class has depth, but not necessarily top-end talent (in my opinion). Other options would be Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan at OT, Chance Warmack at OG, Sheldon Richardson at DT (assuming Hankins and Lotulelei are off the board).

vCash
    I think we should draft Chip Kelly.

vCash
    I'm with you on that. Whatever it takes to get him, lets do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I'm with you on that. Whatever it takes to get him, lets do it.
    They have mentioned the Eagles as a team that will push hard for him but personally I think our offensive players fit what he would want to do better then Philly. Foles is a pocket passer and Vick is injury prone and in all honesty Vick in his prime wasn't close to being as good as Cam is as a passer. If Kelly wants the better team he will pick the Panthers. If Kelly wants the money he is going to the Eagles. If Kelly doesn't choose us I think we should give Gruden a call just to test the waters. Some people think Rivera may have saved his job but I don't think Richardson is sold on him. The season is almost over so we will have the answers soon enough.

Also Merry Christmas to everyone hope you have a happy holiday with friends and family.

vCash
    OLs and DBs. The undesirable side-effect of this late spurt is that we'll moving toward the middle of the draft order. Got to do a better job of evaluating the mid-to-late round picks than we have in previous years.

vCash
    If we beat NO Rivera isn't going anywhere. If we lose to NO, he still might not go anywhere. In terms of the team's current performance and record (as well as the progress of Cam, which is arguably the most important thing to the team), he deserves another year.

I think unless we trade back (or there is an immediate/guaranteed starting CB at our pick) we need a lineman. You can never have too much talent in the trenches, so might as well grab the best OT or DT available, or possibly take a shot at OG Warmack by trading back to 20ish.

DT is probably a dire need since Ron is old and injury prone and Fua should/could be cut and is useless. We need an NT who can take Ron's place in a year or so, but still provide adequate rotational value as a rookie.

OL could be a dire need, but it's hard to tell how bad since we've had injuries to every position except for LT (and we just haven't had a worthy starter at RT). If we could get a future franchise LT with our pick we could go from having a bottom 10 OL to a top 10 with one pick. Gross-Silatolu(2nd year)-Kalil(healthy)-Hangartner-Rookie would be pretty awesome. We could opt to prolong the OT pick and sign a FA RT and hope Gross lasts a few more years. An OG like Warmack would likely start at LG and move Silatolu to RG (which could be better, given how good he is at run-blocking), but would also give us great interior depth with Hangartner as a back-up/rotational player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    If we beat NO Rivera isn't going anywhere. If we lose to NO, he still might not go anywhere. In terms of the team's current performance and record (as well as the progress of Cam, which is arguably the most important thing to the team), he deserves another year.

I think unless we trade back (or there is an immediate/guaranteed starting CB at our pick) we need a lineman. You can never have too much talent in the trenches, so might as well grab the best OT or DT available, or possibly take a shot at OG Warmack by trading back to 20ish.

DT is probably a dire need since Ron is old and injury prone and Fua should/could be cut and is useless. We need an NT who can take Ron's place in a year or so, but still provide adequate rotational value as a rookie.

OL could be a dire need, but it's hard to tell how bad since we've had injuries to every position except for LT (and we just haven't had a worthy starter at RT). If we could get a future franchise LT with our pick we could go from having a bottom 10 OL to a top 10 with one pick. Gross-Silatolu(2nd year)-Kalil(healthy)-Hangartner-Rookie would be pretty awesome. We could opt to prolong the OT pick and sign a FA RT and hope Gross lasts a few more years. An OG like Warmack would likely start at LG and move Silatolu to RG (which could be better, given how good he is at run-blocking), but would also give us great interior depth with Hangartner as a back-up/rotational player.
    I dont think Rivera will be safe if we win against New Orleans. I like the guy but I just don't see us taking the next step with him. The fact is he has been poor with depth chart decisions, game management especially halftime adjustments, and he doesn't have the type of fire on the sideline that inspires players. I think it will come down to what direction the new GM will want to go in and odds are he will want to pick the next head coach. Like I said before we will find out very soon after the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    I dont think Rivera will be safe if we win against New Orleans. I like the guy but I just don't see us taking the next step with him. The fact is he has been poor with depth chart decisions, game management especially halftime adjustments, and he doesn't have the type of fire on the sideline that inspires players. I think it will come down to what direction the new GM will want to go in and odds are he will want to pick the next head coach. Like I said before we will find out very soon after the game.
    I get what you mean, and it could be right, but I have my doubts. While Rivera has had his screw ups, if he wins against NO he will still have a pretty decent resume for his second year with a 2-14 team.

I don't see where he's had poor depth chart decisions though. Poor depth, definitely, but decisions, I don't see. Considering what he's had to work with he's done very well. The OL literally has had one consistent starter stay healthy (Gross), and the OL went into the season with huge question marks at RT and very little depth. The defense is performing miles above what I could've ever asked the 2011 defense to do. Even with the loss of R.Edwards the defense still is holding it together after losing the starting CB, MLB, and FS (x2).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I get what you mean, and it could be right, but I have my doubts. While Rivera has had his screw ups, if he wins against NO he will still have a pretty decent resume for his second year with a 2-14 team.

I don't see where he's had poor depth chart decisions though. Poor depth, definitely, but decisions, I don't see. Considering what he's had to work with he's done very well. The OL literally has had one consistent starter stay healthy (Gross), and the OL went into the season with huge question marks at RT and very little depth. The defense is performing miles above what I could've ever asked the 2011 defense to do. Even with the loss of R.Edwards the defense still is holding it together after losing the starting CB, MLB, and FS (x2).
    Last year the big mistake was Legedu Naanee. He couldn't see how bad he was and stuck with him way longer than he should have just because he knew him in San Diego. This years colossal mistake was Haruki Nakamura. At best Nakamura should only be used as depth or special teams he is not a starter. I am also disappointed with the lack of use of Gary Barnidge. This guy should be used a hell of alot more than he is. He has the tools to be a great pass catcher and we never utilize his ability. Yes he has been hurt but this season I think he has pretty much been a healthy all year (You can correct me if I am wrong). Now onto David Gettis. He has been healthy for a few weeks now why hasn't he been used at all? I know the season is over but Rivera talked about looking at younger players and Gettis is someone we need to evaluate. We need to see if he can flash some of the big play ability he had when we drafted him.

I can keep ranting but I think I have listed a few good examples. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Rivera and I wouldn't be surprised if we release him. The fact is he is still on the hot seat and he is hanging on by a thread. I think if we brought in someone like Kelly or Gruden we would do no worse than we are doing right now so I think it is a risk we should probably roll the dice on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Last year the big mistake was Legedu Naanee. He couldn't see how bad he was and stuck with him way longer than he should have just because he knew him in San Diego. This years colossal mistake was Haruki Nakamura. At best Nakamura should only be used as depth or special teams he is not a starter. I am also disappointed with the lack of use of Gary Barnidge. This guy should be used a hell of alot more than he is. He has the tools to be a great pass catcher and we never utilize his ability. Yes he has been hurt but this season I think he has pretty much been a healthy all year (You can correct me if I am wrong). Now onto David Gettis. He has been healthy for a few weeks now why hasn't he been used at all? I know the season is over but Rivera talked about looking at younger players and Gettis is someone we need to evaluate. We need to see if he can flash some of the big play ability he had when we drafted him.

I can keep ranting but I think I have listed a few good examples. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Rivera and I wouldn't be surprised if we release him. The fact is he is still on the hot seat and he is hanging on by a thread. I think if we brought in someone like Kelly or Gruden we would do no worse than we are doing right now so I think it is a risk we should probably roll the dice on.
    Legedu definitely was a bad decision later in the season, but LaFell wasn't ready to be a #2 at the beginning of last season. Legedu sucked as a #2 as well, but he was a decent down-field blocker (not that it makes it any better that he was starting).

It's hard to critique him on the Nakamura call. Nakamura looked to be the best option heading into the season (most people on these forums were extremely excited and expected Ed Reed 2.0) and Sherrod Martin sucked last season.

I agree that Barnidge should see more play-time, but I don't know how his injuries were this season. I also don't think that is on Rivera, more so Chud, since he runs the offense. I believe Barnidge is listed as the #2TE, so it's possible he's just being overlooked or something. Cam was overlooking Olsen for a big part of the first half of the season. I think it was the Seattle game, but he was open nearly every play and Cam just never looked his way.

It's all opinion, but as much as I respect Gruden I don't want him anywhere near Cam. He seems to like Cam from the comments he's made, but Gruden ***** on QBs. I could see him dropping Newton/ruining relations with him if there were any issues. If we have an HC not named Rivera next season I want it to be either Kelly or Chud. Chud's offensive genius + an OC who knows how to call appropriate plays would be awesome (I realize it'd be risky on Chud).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast