23 13.37%
  • Tom Brady

7 4.07%
  • Adrian Peterson

105 61.05%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Mike Sando, last week:

Adrian Peterson is making our weekly MVP discussion more compelling all the time.

The Minnesota Vikings' ligament-defying running back has rushed for 212, 210, 182, 171, 154, 153, 123, 108 and 102 yards in games this season. His total for those nine games would rank 11th among single-season totals over the past five years. His 1,812-yard total through 14 games this season already ranks 19th in NFL history.

Peterson, who suffered torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee last Christmas Eve, would top my list for most impressive player in the NFL this season. He would get my vote for comeback player of the year.

Yet, if the Vikings could trade Peterson for a top quarterback, they would be getting superior value in return. That is a primary reason quarterbacks continue to fill the top three spots in MVP Watch this week.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers upgrade their teams in ways even the greatest running back could not. That is the nature of the NFL.

I reach out to colleagues each week before compiling this list. This time, our NFC North man, Kevin Seifert, advocated Peterson for the No. 2 spot behind Manning. He explains his position further on the NFC North blog. AFC South counterpart Paul Kuharsky takes a different tack, noting that Tennessee's Chris Johnson commanded zero MVP votes while topping 2,000 yards rushing in 2009.

"If Johnson wasn’t worthy of a single vote just three seasons ago, what’s changed to make Peterson a bigger contender this year?" Kuharsky asks. "And considering the season J.J. Watt is having, if the Texans' defensive lineman can’t win it, I’m left wondering if, when and how a defender will ever win it again."

The more we learn about how games are won and lost in the NFL, the more we realize quarterback play is the key. As great as Peterson has been, the Vikings have generally won and lost based on how quarterback Christian Ponder has played.

Perhaps the "V" in MVP is carrying too much weight. Are we really talking about pure value, or should MVP honors simply go to the player posting the best season?
    keep in mind this was from last week

1. PM
    2. TB
    3. AR
    4. AP

what Paul K. said

When Peyton Manning won his fourth MVP award in 2009, he did it with 37 1/2 of the votes cast by the AP panel that selects the winner.

Drew Brees got 7 1/2 votes, Philip Rivers got two and Brett Favre got one.

Missing was Chris Johnson, the running back who ran for 2,006 yards for the 8-8 Titans.

I had no objection to that, and Johnson ran away with the offensive player of the year award.

Adrian Peterson’s story this season is a similar one. His team could also finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs. But even if the Vikings find their way in, I don’t see why voters would make a case for him as 2012 MVP.

Sure, the context of the other candidates and their seasons is important.

But if Johnson wasn’t worthy of a single vote just three seasons ago, what’s changed to make Peterson a bigger contender this year?

His comeback from knee reconstruction surgery has been phenomenal, and he and Manning make for the most interesting comeback player of the year contest in memory. (It would be fitting if they shared it.)

As for MVP, there is no lack of quarterback candidates in Manning, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

And considering the season J.J. Watt is having, if the Texans defensive lineman can’t win it, I’m left wondering if, when and how a defender will ever win it again.

Peterson 2012 and CJ2K in 2009 look a lot alike to me. If I had a vote, I’d put Peterson down for offensive player of the year.

For the sake of consistency, a 2,000-yard season by a running back in 2009 and 2012 should be valued about the same.

not saying I agree, just what they said

Welcome to Anfield Mr. Balotelli!

vCash
    I want AP to win this but I also want the Bears to get in the playoffs....****.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B'sCeltsPatsSox View Post
    I want AP to win this but I also want the Bears to get in the playoffs....****.
    May I ask why?

Me and my Boys.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

vCash
    It's gotta be AP. if not then Rodgers

vCash
    AP does not deserve to win the MVP award if Chris Johnson didn't win it in his career year.

vCash
    AP or Manning.

vCash
    1 Rodgers
    2 Brady
    3 Manning
    4 Peterson

vCash
    I don't see how Manning is the highest valued QB
    he doesn't have the most yards,TDs, least INTs or any rushing yards
    he has the highest completion % & that's it
    He also plays in a very weak division

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Brady's team won eleven games without him and Peyton's team won eight without him.

The Vikings on the other hand, they'd lose a lot without AP. Dude is playing out of his ****ing mind.
    We are talking about this season right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 85BearsDefense View Post
    MVP = Most Valuable Player

Take Brady/Manning away from their respective teams and those teams don't win more than 3 games.

Take AP away from Minny they'll win 4-6.
    That made me laugh. When the Broncos won 8 games last year with Orton and Tebow. The Patriots, I'm not sure. But the Vikings winning 4-6? With what stellar performer? They have no receiver option, their quarterback is a game manager that doesn't always manage well and their coaching staff isn't half the staff of the Broncos or Pats.

vCash
    Yeah, the Patriots have a decent back up that can keep them in the game. Organizations like the Patriots and Packers always have a plan and it's why they are the cream of the crop. Patriots may not be superbowl contenders without Brady, but they'd certainly win the AFC East this year.

vCash
    Yeah, the Patriots have a decent back up that can keep them in the game. Organizations like the Patriots and Packers always have a plan and it's why they are the cream of the crop. Patriots may not be superbowl contenders without Brady, but they'd certainly win the AFC East this year.
    The Pats are a 2-4 win team without Brady they just dont have the talent Denver does. Denver would still win 10-12 games without Manning.

Me and my Boys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddyburch View Post
    The Pats are a 2-4 win team without Brady they just dont have the talent Denver does. Denver would still win 10-12 games without Manning.
    See I disagree with this even if I'm not voting Peyton. They have a very soft schedule which is why they've won 10 in a row and haven't beaten a legit team except for Baltimore if you count that.

That said, they aren't a playoff team without Peyton.

If Vikings lose:

1. Rodgers
    2. AP
    3. Peyton
    4. Brady

If Vikings win:

1. Peterson
    2. Peyton
    3. Rodgers
    4. Brady
    Where Pick n Roll...Pick and Roll...Pick and Roll...Rebound Happens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Mago50 View Post
    See I disagree with this even if I'm not voting Peyton. They have a very soft schedule which is why they've won 10 in a row and haven't beaten a legit team except for Baltimore if you count that.

That said, they aren't a playoff team without Peyton.

If Vikings lose:

1. Rodgers
    2. AP
    3. Peyton
    4. Brady

If Vikings win:

1. Peterson
    2. Peyton
    3. Rodgers
    4. Brady

Right. If they had to play real NFL teams no way they win 4 games with or without Peyton. My point was that the ONLY reason they have won games is because of the team around Peyton and not because of Peyton like some want to believe. Brady carries his team because he is the only talent on O. You were arguing a different point than the one I was making.

In your list Brady should be tops on both.

Me and my Boys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 85BearsDefense View Post
    MVP = Most Valuable Player

Take Brady/Manning away from their respective teams and those teams don't win more than 3 games.

Take AP away from Minny they'll win 4-6.
    Brady's team won eleven games without him and Peyton's team won eight without him.

The Vikings on the other hand, they'd lose a lot without AP. Dude is playing out of his ****ing mind.

So you think Hanie and Mallet are winning more than 3 games??? C'mon who you crapping.

Our greatest glory is not in never failing. But rather in rising back up every time we do.

Find ya boi on twitter @MajorJensen33

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast